The Wright Bothers weren't the first to fly. They were just the first not to crash.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Drink Driver Jailed After Fleeing Scene Of Fatal Crash

SubjectAuthor
* Drink Driver Jailed After Fleeing Scene Of Fatal CrashSimon Mason
+- Re: Drink Driver Jailed After Fleeing Scene Of Fatal CrashSpike
+* Re: Drink Driver Jailed After Fleeing Scene Of Fatal CrashSimon Mason
|+- Re: Drink Driver Jailed After Fleeing Scene Of Fatal CrashJNugent
|`* Re: Drink Driver Jailed After Fleeing Scene Of Fatal CrashSimon Mason
| `* Re: Drink Driver Jailed After Fleeing Scene Of Fatal CrashSpike
|  `* Re: Drink Driver Jailed After Fleeing Scene Of Fatal CrashJNugent
|   `- Re: Drink Driver Jailed After Fleeing Scene Of Fatal CrashSpike
+* Re: Drink Driver Jailed After Fleeing Scene Of Fatal CrashSimon Mason
|`- Re: Drink Driver Jailed After Fleeing Scene Of Fatal CrashSpike
+- Re: Drink Driver Jailed After Fleeing Scene Of Fatal CrashSimon Mason
+* Re: Drink Driver Jailed After Fleeing Scene Of Fatal CrashSimon Mason
|`- Re: Drink Driver Jailed After Fleeing Scene Of Fatal CrashJNugent
+* Re: Drink Driver Jailed After Fleeing Scene Of Fatal CrashSimon Mason
|`- Re: Drink Driver Jailed After Fleeing Scene Of Fatal CrashJNugent
+* Re: Drink Driver Jailed After Fleeing Scene Of Fatal CrashSimon Mason
|`- Re: Drink Driver Jailed After Fleeing Scene Of Fatal CrashSpike
`- Re: Drink Driver Jailed After Fleeing Scene Of Fatal CrashSimon Mason

1
Drink Driver Jailed After Fleeing Scene Of Fatal Crash

<36af3026-849b-4af1-976b-81cfd5beed52n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35080&group=uk.rec.cycling#35080

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2023 04:08:47 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Drink Driver Jailed After Fleeing Scene Of Fatal Crash
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Sun, 29 Oct 2023 11:08 UTC

Mr Arsehole turns cyclist's friend.
============================
A 27-year-old man has been jailed for more than five years after he mowed down a cyclist while drink driving, and then fled the scene.

The prosecution told Southampton Crown Court that the man drove off after knocking his 32-year-old victim off his bike, knowing that he had spent the afternoon and evening drinking and was over the limit. He had left a pub in Totton just half-an-hour before the accident. The cyclist died from his injuries later that day.

The driver called his father following the collision, telling him where the accident had happened. His father went to the scene and, on realising the seriousness of the situation, told police where to find his son.

Hampshire police arrested the driver on suspicion of drink driving at 3.40am on 22 December 2017. The Serious Collision Investigation Unit then went about piecing together the events of that day.

Evidence obtained from the driver’s mobile phone established that he had been in three pubs during the day, and officers visited each pub to retrieve CCTV footage which showed him drinking a number of alcoholic beverages.

They established that between 2.50pm and 11.19pm the man had drunk at least six pints of beer and a shot of Jagermeister.

Toxicology tests could not prove he was over the limit at the time of the accident, however there was sufficient evidence for him to be charged, and further expert analysis of a breath sample taken five hours after the incident indicated that, at the time of the accident, the man would have been over the drink driving limit.

Following the trial, PC Lucy Hawkins of the SCIU said: “[The driver] fled the scene that night leaving [the victim] fatally injured by the roadside.

“At that moment all he was worried about was himself and how he could avoid being caught drunk behind the wheel.

“However, what he didn’t bank on was that we would carry out a full and thorough investigation that would clearly prove his drink-driving was the cause of this tragic collision.

“The CCTV clearly shows him drinking several different drinks, which would have put him significantly over the drink-drive limit.

“While our alcohol tests play a significant role in prosecuting drink-drivers, they are not the only way we can prove a motorist is over the limit and this case proves that.

“I hope that this case sends a clear message that we will take all action necessary to ensure that drink-drivers face justice, no matter what attempts they make to avoid it.

“[His victim] would still be alive today if [he] had not made the reckless decision to drink and drive that night. It is never worth the risk – the consequences can be fatal.”

After pleading guilty to driving without due care while over the prescribed limit, the man was sentenced to five years and four months in prison, and banned from driving for nine years with an extended retest should he wish to drive again.

https://www.nickfreemansolicitors.co.uk/drink-driver-jailed-after-fleeing-scene-of-fatal-crash/

Re: Drink Driver Jailed After Fleeing Scene Of Fatal Crash

<kq78j5F5c5jU5@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35085&group=uk.rec.cycling#35085

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 29 Oct 2023 14:29:57 GMT
 by: Spike - Sun, 29 Oct 2023 14:29 UTC

Simon Mason <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:

> https://www.nickfreemansolicitors.co.uk/drink-driver-jailed-after-fleeing-scene-of-fatal-crash/

I’ve got a blank page at that link. Has Mason screwed up again?

--
Spike

Re: Drink Driver Jailed After Fleeing Scene Of Fatal Crash

<5eb6e583-4510-426e-876c-1f4753dd9566n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35098&group=uk.rec.cycling#35098

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2023 09:37:12 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Sun, 29 Oct 2023 16:37 UTC

QUOTE: After pleading guilty to driving without due care while over the prescribed limit, the man was sentenced to five years and four months in prison, and banned from driving for nine years with an extended retest should he wish to drive again.ENDS

These are the sort of criminals that you get off as your main job - having a pang of guilt at last?

Re: Drink Driver Jailed After Fleeing Scene Of Fatal Crash

<kq7jtgF7r11U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35111&group=uk.rec.cycling#35111

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2023 17:43:12 +0000
 by: JNugent - Sun, 29 Oct 2023 17:43 UTC

On 29/10/2023 04:37 pm, Simon Mason wrote:

> QUOTE: After pleading guilty to driving without due care while over the prescribed limit, the man was sentenced to five years and four months in prison, and banned from driving for nine years with an extended retest should he wish to drive again.ENDS
>
> These are the sort of criminals that you get off as your main job - having a pang of guilt at last?

Assuming you know, to whom are you talking?

Re: Drink Driver Jailed After Fleeing Scene Of Fatal Crash

<cfb0729e-d9e7-4dd9-9934-1a13d0bcbc8dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35119&group=uk.rec.cycling#35119

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2023 13:30:23 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Sun, 29 Oct 2023 20:30 UTC

QUOTE: Toxicology tests could not prove he was over the limit at the time of the accident, however there was sufficient evidence for him to be charged, and further expert analysis of a breath sample taken five hours after the incident indicated that, at the time of the accident, the man would have been over the drink driving limit.ENDS

It's amazing what can be done with forensics nowadays!
No hiding place.

Re: Drink Driver Jailed After Fleeing Scene Of Fatal Crash

<kq85ifFbnloU6@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35128&group=uk.rec.cycling#35128

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 29 Oct 2023 22:44:32 GMT
 by: Spike - Sun, 29 Oct 2023 22:44 UTC

Simon Mason <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:
> QUOTE: Toxicology tests could not prove he was over the limit at the time
> of the accident, however there was sufficient evidence for him to be
> charged, and further expert analysis of a breath sample taken five hours
> after the incident indicated that, at the time of the accident, the man
> would have been over the drink driving limit.ENDS
>
> It's amazing what can be done with forensics nowadays!
> No hiding place.

‘Further expert analysis’ might mean anything. So what was this forensics
you mention?

--
Spike

Re: Drink Driver Jailed After Fleeing Scene Of Fatal Crash

<6a8921d3-578c-4948-99a4-ee65b43d985dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35132&group=uk.rec.cycling#35132

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2023 02:16:29 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Mon, 30 Oct 2023 09:16 UTC

> They established that between 2.50pm and 11.19pm the man had drunk at least six pints of beer and a shot of Jagermeister.

QUOTE: A 27-year-old man has been jailed for more than five years after he mowed down a cyclist while drink driving, and then fled the scene. ENDS

"They established that between 2.50pm and 11.19pm the man had drunk at least six pints of beer and a shot of Jagermeister. "

That was from video evidence.

Re: Drink Driver Jailed After Fleeing Scene Of Fatal Crash

<kq9gqnFlgsfU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35142&group=uk.rec.cycling#35142

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2023 11:02:48 +0000
 by: JNugent - Mon, 30 Oct 2023 11:02 UTC

On 29/10/2023 10:44 pm, Spike wrote:

> Simon Mason <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:

>> QUOTE: Toxicology tests could not prove he was over the limit at the time
>> of the accident, however there was sufficient evidence for him to be
>> charged, and further expert analysis of a breath sample taken five hours
>> after the incident indicated that, at the time of the accident, the man
>> would have been over the drink driving limit.ENDS

That reminds me of the old tale of a man called Mason who joined the
Home Guard during WW2. There was a curfew on and everyone had to be back
home by 21:00 in the blackout.

A man came by on a fairy-cycle and as he passed, Mason raised his rifle
and shot him in the back.

His sergeant cried "What was that for? It's only five to nine!".

Mason answered: "Ah... but I know where he lives; it's four miles away
and he'd never have made it".

>> It's amazing what can be done with forensics nowadays!
>> No hiding place.

> ‘Further expert analysis’ might mean anything. So what was this forensics
> you mention?

Guesswork and assumption.

After all, toxicology tests could not prove he was over the limit at the
time of the accident.

Re: Drink Driver Jailed After Fleeing Scene Of Fatal Crash

<a112989e-4581-4ef2-8e90-efbc441e752an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35148&group=uk.rec.cycling#35148

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2023 04:36:35 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Mon, 30 Oct 2023 11:36 UTC

QUOTE: Evidence obtained from the driver’s mobile phone established that he had been in three pubs during the day, and officers visited each pub to retrieve CCTV footage which showed him drinking a number of alcoholic beverages. ENDS

I expect the criminal driver did not expect that to happen. :-)

Re: Drink Driver Jailed After Fleeing Scene Of Fatal Crash

<kqa0goFp3j0U11@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35164&group=uk.rec.cycling#35164

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 30 Oct 2023 15:30:32 GMT
 by: Spike - Mon, 30 Oct 2023 15:30 UTC

JNugent <jnugent@mail.com> wrote:
> On 29/10/2023 10:44 pm, Spike wrote:
>
>> Simon Mason <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> QUOTE: Toxicology tests could not prove he was over the limit at the time
>>> of the accident, however there was sufficient evidence for him to be
>>> charged, and further expert analysis of a breath sample taken five hours
>>> after the incident indicated that, at the time of the accident, the man
>>> would have been over the drink driving limit.ENDS
>
> That reminds me of the old tale of a man called Mason who joined the
> Home Guard during WW2. There was a curfew on and everyone had to be back
> home by 21:00 in the blackout.
>
> A man came by on a fairy-cycle and as he passed, Mason raised his rifle
> and shot him in the back.
>
> His sergeant cried "What was that for? It's only five to nine!".
>
> Mason answered: "Ah... but I know where he lives; it's four miles away
> and he'd never have made it".

LOL!

--
Spike

Re: Drink Driver Jailed After Fleeing Scene Of Fatal Crash

<kqa0gnFp3j0U10@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35167&group=uk.rec.cycling#35167

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 30 Oct 2023 15:30:32 GMT
 by: Spike - Mon, 30 Oct 2023 15:30 UTC

Simon Mason <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:

>> They established that between 2.50pm and 11.19pm the man had drunk at
>> least six pints of beer and a shot of Jagermeister.
>
> QUOTE: A 27-year-old man has been jailed for more than five years after
> he mowed down a cyclist while drink driving, and then fled the scene. ENDS
>
> "They established that between 2.50pm and 11.19pm the man had drunk at
> least six pints of beer and a shot of Jagermeister. "

> That was from video evidence.

And that took an expert?!

--
Spike

Re: Drink Driver Jailed After Fleeing Scene Of Fatal Crash

<e2aa3e5e-876c-474e-9435-fd4cf44126f6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35176&group=uk.rec.cycling#35176

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2023 09:33:39 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Mon, 30 Oct 2023 16:33 UTC

Nice photo of Mr Poophole there.

https://www.nickfreemansolicitors.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/nick-freeman.jpg

Re: Drink Driver Jailed After Fleeing Scene Of Fatal Crash

<kqa61tFqa14U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35181&group=uk.rec.cycling#35181

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2023 17:05:02 +0000
 by: JNugent - Mon, 30 Oct 2023 17:05 UTC

On 30/10/2023 04:33 pm, Simon Mason wrote:

> Nice photo of Mr Poophole there...

....says Mr Misogyny.

> https://www.nickfreemansolicitors.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/nick-freeman.jpg

Re: Drink Driver Jailed After Fleeing Scene Of Fatal Crash

<285f89e1-115f-448e-a27a-3bfaea51971an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35193&group=uk.rec.cycling#35193

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2023 11:21:41 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Mon, 30 Oct 2023 18:21 UTC

QUOTE: The driver called his father following the collision, telling him where the accident had happened. His father went to the scene and, on realising the seriousness of the situation, told police where to find his son. ENDS

Dobbing his own son to the bizzies?
Obviously not a scouser.

Re: Drink Driver Jailed After Fleeing Scene Of Fatal Crash

<kqb3mpF1q92U4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35218&group=uk.rec.cycling#35218

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2023 01:31:05 +0000
 by: JNugent - Tue, 31 Oct 2023 01:31 UTC

On 30/10/2023 06:21 pm, Simon Mason wrote:

> QUOTE: The driver called his father following the collision, telling him where the accident had happened. His father went to the scene and, on realising the seriousness of the situation, told police where to find his son. ENDS
>
> Dobbing his own son to the bizzies?
> Obviously not a scouser.

A Yorkshireman, obviously.

Well known for "dobbing in" members of their own families. Even their
wives (a dobbing-in that they seem to find particularly hilarious).

Re: Drink Driver Jailed After Fleeing Scene Of Fatal Crash

<fa51ec79-3f22-483e-8b47-9f1388aef833n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35227&group=uk.rec.cycling#35227

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2023 21:26:49 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Tue, 31 Oct 2023 04:26 UTC

QUOTE: Evidence obtained from the driver’s mobile phone established that he had been in three pubs during the day, and officers visited each pub to retrieve CCTV footage which showed him drinking a number of alcoholic beverages. ENDS

Bloody hell - if only the police were so meticulous in studying near miss videos, the roads would be much safer.

Re: Drink Driver Jailed After Fleeing Scene Of Fatal Crash

<kqc204F87r9U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35235&group=uk.rec.cycling#35235

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 31 Oct 2023 10:08:04 GMT
 by: Spike - Tue, 31 Oct 2023 10:08 UTC

Simon Mason <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:
> QUOTE: Evidence obtained from the driver’s mobile phone established that
> he had been in three pubs during the day, and officers visited each pub
> to retrieve CCTV footage which showed him drinking a number of alcoholic beverages. ENDS
>
> Bloody hell - if only the police were so meticulous in studying near miss
> videos, the roads would be much safer.

Police: A million burglaries a year NFA

Due to lack of resources the police in E&W are closing more than a million
cases of burglary and theft every year with NFA after the initial report.

This is the time to ask the question as to whether the police can afford to
follow up on ‘cases’ where a driver has not collided with a cyclist.

Freeing up these officers would mean they could be deployed on at least a
basic follow-up to a report of a burglary or theft, as it is known that
once burgled, the chances of a repeat of the crime is a staggering 25%, and
effective action can be taken to mitigate against this, especially when
police officer offers advice on countermeasures. At present, conviction
rates are very low.

It’s time the police stopped pussy-footing about with non-crimes like
‘close passes’ and tackled real issues.

--
Spike

Re: Drink Driver Jailed After Fleeing Scene Of Fatal Crash

<70ba346d-fb12-4acc-a53e-ece8ce1953d2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35243&group=uk.rec.cycling#35243

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2023 04:10:39 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Tue, 31 Oct 2023 11:10 UTC

QUOTE: Evidence obtained from the driver’s mobile phone established that he had been in three pubs during the day, and officers visited each pub to retrieve CCTV footage which showed him drinking a number of alcoholic beverages. ENDS

Not possible with me as I have never owned a cellphone.