The Celts invented two things, Whiskey and self-destruction.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Old News: Tuesday 1 November 2022 19:40, UK

SubjectAuthor
* Driver jailed for killing pedestrian while speeding at 'ludicrous'Simon Mason
+- Old News: Tuesday 1 November 2022 19:40, UKSpike
+* Re: Driver jailed for killing pedestrian while speeding atSpike
|`- Re: Driver jailed for killing pedestrian while speeding atJNugent
+- Re: Driver jailed for killing pedestrian while speeding atJNugent
`* Re: Driver jailed for killing pedestrian while speeding atSimon Mason
 `- Re: Driver jailed for killing pedestrian while speeding atSpike

1
Driver jailed for killing pedestrian while speeding at 'ludicrous' 113mph in 40mph zone

<e39bd924-f0e8-4fa7-a7f3-35d06d06b931n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35077&group=uk.rec.cycling#35077

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2023 03:56:21 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Driver jailed for killing pedestrian while speeding at 'ludicrous'
113mph in 40mph zone
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Sun, 29 Oct 2023 10:56 UTC

A man who drove at "ludicrous" speeds of up to 113mph in a 40mph zone has been jailed for causing the death of a father-of-three.

Ryan Selby was seen overtaking several vehicles as he drove along the A259 in Hastings, East Sussex, before he entered a white cross-hatched area and hit Oli Paxton as he was crossing the road.

The 23-year-old factory worker was estimated to have been driving at speeds between 107 and 113mph and struck Mr Paxton without braking.

The victim, described as a "beloved husband, wonderful father and cherished friend", died at the scene on 9 March 2021.

'Ludicrous speeds'

Selby, of Burry Road, St Leonards, pleaded guilty at Lewes Crown Court to dangerous driving and was jailed for seven and a half years and was banned from driving for eight years and three months.

Sentencing him, Judge Christine Laing KC said: "You showed a flagrant disregard for the rules of the road and for how dangerous your driving was to other road users, your utter disregard is staggering.

"I am in no doubt you did not see Oli Paxton due to your ludicrous speeds, despite the fact it was a residential area with two schools in the vicinity."

Police investigator Tudor Wells, of Sussex Police, said: "This incident has had a devastating impact on the family of a much-loved father and husband.

"Selby habitually drove recklessly, and on March 9 2021, this had tragic consequences which demonstrate the appalling consequences of driving at excess speed."

Mr Paxton's widow Jill Paxton said: "When Oli was killed, mine and my children's lives were irreparably destroyed and sadly, the justice system cannot convict for this unaccounted damage.

"Oli was selfless, easy-going and authentic; a man of unending generosity, a devoted husband and a fun-loving father who can never be replaced.

"By speeding at 110mph in a 40mph zone, he showed a complete disregard for the lives of others and his reckless behaviour inevitably robbed me of my husband and my three young boys of their father.

"I can only hope that Ryan is haunted by this experience, preventing him from ever again inflicting danger on others.

"May Oli's death serve as a reminder to those who take risks when driving.

"A car can be a lethal weapon and your actions could have unthinkable consequences."

https://news.sky.com/story/driver-jailed-for-killing-pedestrian-while-speeding-at-ludicrous-113mph-in-40mph-zone-12735830

Old News: Tuesday 1 November 2022 19:40, UK

<kq78j4F5c5jU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35081&group=uk.rec.cycling#35081

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Old News: Tuesday 1 November 2022 19:40, UK
Date: 29 Oct 2023 14:29:56 GMT
 by: Spike - Sun, 29 Oct 2023 14:29 UTC

--
Spike

Re: Driver jailed for killing pedestrian while speeding at 'ludicrous' 113mph in 40mph zone

<kq85ifFbnloU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35125&group=uk.rec.cycling#35125

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Driver jailed for killing pedestrian while speeding at
'ludicrous' 113mph in 40mph zone
Date: 29 Oct 2023 22:44:31 GMT
 by: Spike - Sun, 29 Oct 2023 22:44 UTC

Simon Mason <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:
> QUOTE: "By speeding at 110mph in a 40mph zone, he showed a complete
> disregard for the lives of others and his reckless behaviour inevitably
> robbed me of my husband and my three young boys of their father. "I can
> only hope that Ryan is haunted by this experience, preventing him from
> ever again inflicting danger on others. ENDS

> His sort won't give a toss, you poor lady. :-(

How’s Charlie Alliston doing on that front? He wasn’t even remorseful at
his trial.

--
Spike

Re: Driver jailed for killing pedestrian while speeding at 'ludicrous' 113mph in 40mph zone

<kq9guvFlgsfU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35143&group=uk.rec.cycling#35143

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
'ludicrous' 113mph in 40mph zone
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2023 11:05:04 +0000
 by: JNugent - Mon, 30 Oct 2023 11:05 UTC

On 29/10/2023 10:44 pm, Spike wrote:

> Simon Misogyny <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:

>> QUOTE: "By speeding at 110mph in a 40mph zone, he showed a complete
>> disregard for the lives of others and his reckless behaviour inevitably
>> robbed me of my husband and my three young boys of their father. "I can
>> only hope that Ryan is haunted by this experience, preventing him from
>> ever again inflicting danger on others. ENDS

>> His sort won't give a toss, you poor lady. :-(

> How’s Charlie Alliston doing on that front? He wasn’t even remorseful at
> his trial.

Correct. He relentlessly blamed the victim and anyone - including the
court - who opined that chavs on bikes aren't allowed to do exactly as
they effin' well please.

Re: Driver jailed for killing pedestrian while speeding at 'ludicrous' 113mph in 40mph zone

<kq9lc7Fmg1bU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35150&group=uk.rec.cycling#35150

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
'ludicrous' 113mph in 40mph zone
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2023 12:20:23 +0000
 by: JNugent - Mon, 30 Oct 2023 12:20 UTC

On 30/10/2023 11:38 am, Simon Mason wrote:
> QUOTE: "I am in no doubt you did not see Oli Paxton due to your ludicrous speeds, despite the fact it was a residential area with two schools in the vicinity." ENDS
>
> 113 mph past two schools?
> What an utter twat.

Who else do we know who admitted exceeding speed limits when passing
schools - and on the FOOTway at that?

Re: Driver jailed for killing pedestrian while speeding at 'ludicrous' 113mph in 40mph zone

<10d7e241-0689-47e4-b799-d2a91d2487d0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35151&group=uk.rec.cycling#35151

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2023 07:00:37 -0700 (PDT)
'ludicrous' 113mph in 40mph zone
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Mon, 30 Oct 2023 14:00 UTC

Ronnie O'Senseman 1st November 2022 2:19 pm
User ID: 4048968
Should have been a lifetime jail sentence and a lifetime driving ban.

It's about time we had a government that was tough on crime and started clamping down on these criminals and investing money into our threadbare criminal justice system.

Crime is out of control in this country from low-level crime like the stealing of the cats from the cat wall in Newhaven to the most serious crime like this case.

While the chaos continues we have a totally unfit for office Home Secretary who has broken the ministerial code multiple times , who plays fast and loose with national security and spends more time trying to defend herself than clamping down on crime.

Re: Driver jailed for killing pedestrian while speeding at 'ludicrous' 113mph in 40mph zone

<kqa0goFp3j0U13@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35166&group=uk.rec.cycling#35166

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
'ludicrous' 113mph in 40mph zone
Date: 30 Oct 2023 15:30:32 GMT
 by: Spike - Mon, 30 Oct 2023 15:30 UTC

Simon Mason <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ronnie O'Senseman 1st November 2022 2:19 pm
> User ID: 4048968

> Should have been a lifetime jail sentence and a lifetime driving ban.

Had you called for lifetime jail sentences for the killers of Rhiannon
Bennett, or Peter McCombie, 73, or Elizabeth Stone, 79, or Kim Briggs, 44,
or Sakine Cihan, 56, or ‘John Doe’, 72, or Linda Davis, 71, all killed by
cyclists, your wails of anguish might have had some credibility; as it is
you just seem like a bigoted hypocrite.

> It's about time we had a government that was tough on crime and started
> clamping down on these criminals and investing money into our threadbare
> criminal justice system.

Isn’t it just! But ‘these criminals’ might not be limited to your favourite
outgroup, so be careful what you wish for.

> Crime is out of control in this country from low-level crime like the
> stealing of the cats from the cat wall in Newhaven to the most serious
> crime like this case.

Or the cases mentioned.

> While the chaos continues we have a totally unfit for office Home
> Secretary who has broken the ministerial code multiple times , who plays
> fast and loose with national security and spends more time trying to
> defend herself than clamping down on crime.

Get yourself elected, then, and struggle to show us how even-handed you
will be.

--
Spike