From: nobody@home.com (Janet)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: PERSIMMONS.
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2023 21:52:25 -0000
 by: Janet - Mon, 18 Dec 2023 21:52 UTC

Never had them before. Saw these in the supermarket
today, took some home to try and they are delicious.

I've no delusions they would grow in Scotland but
wonder if any of you in S England have had any success?

Janet

Re: PERSIMMONS.

<kubuu7FqrrcU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3517&group=uk.rec.gardening#3517

From: junk@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Re: PERSIMMONS.
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2023 22:20:55 +0000
 by: alan_m - Mon, 18 Dec 2023 22:20 UTC

On 18/12/2023 21:52, Janet wrote:

> Never had them before. Saw these in the supermarket
> today, took some home to try and they are delicious.

Also sold for years in supermarkets as Sharon Fruit BUT if sourced from
Isreal tend to have have a thicker tougher skin and are not as nice as
those more common in supermarkets these da- . They really need to be
ripe to be enjoyable - usually when the skins are showing black on the
surface.

Re: PERSIMMONS.

<ulqgkn$3mea6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3518&group=uk.rec.gardening#3518

From: Jeff@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2023 22:21:11 +0000
 by: Jeff Layman - Mon, 18 Dec 2023 22:21 UTC

On 18/12/2023 21:52, Janet wrote:

> Never had them before. Saw these in the supermarket
> today, took some home to try and they are delicious.
>
> I've no delusions they would grow in Scotland but
> wonder if any of you in S England have had any success?

Diospyros kaki grows well here in Hampshire. I got some seeds from
normally seedless "Triumph " and "ichikikei", and germinated them. The
former is about 120cm high and less than 5 years from seed. It has not
yet flowered.

The information on Diospyros kaki mainly suggests that it is dioecious,
but monoecious forms exist. Forms even exist with perfect (male+female
flowers), and there are parthenocarpic forms which produce seedless
fruit without pollination (such as the Israeli "Sharon" fruit. Evidently
D. kaki has fruited frequently in the open at Kew.

--

Jeff

Re: PERSIMMONS.

<q3i3oipjom3drcep3p0p11ei005dkptcte@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3519&group=uk.rec.gardening#3519

From: me@privacy.net (Chris Hogg)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2023 17:10:19 +0000
 by: Chris Hogg - Tue, 19 Dec 2023 17:10 UTC

On Mon, 18 Dec 2023 21:52:25 -0000, Janet <nobody@home.com> wrote:

> Never had them before. Saw these in the supermarket
>today, took some home to try and they are delicious.
>
> I've no delusions they would grow in Scotland but
>wonder if any of you in S England have had any success?
>
> Janet

By coincidence, I had just bought a pack of persimmons the day before
I saw your post. It says on the wrapper that they are Persimmon Rojo
Brilliante, which on further investigation turns out to be a variety
of Diospyros kaki.

According to Wiki, persimmons can be divided into two categories,
astringent and non-astringent, with Rojo Brilliante in the first
group. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persimmon

Having eaten persimmons in the past, I have learnt to leave them on a
sunny windowsill for several days or longer, to complete their
ripening, otherwise they are very bitter and pucker the inside of your
mouth appreciably. But once ripened to the point of have slight
softness like a ripe tomato, they are quite delicious.

I will see if I can get any seed out of mine, and try and germinate
them.

--
Chris

Gardening in West Cornwall, very mild, sheltered
from the West, but open to the North and East.