Many a wife thinks her husband is the world's greatest lover. But she can never catch him at it.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Drink driver jailed for three years over Inverness bookmaker's crash

SubjectAuthor
* Drink driver jailed for three years over Inverness bookmaker's crashSimon Mason
+- Re: Drink driver jailed for three years over Inverness bookmaker'sJNugent
+- Re: Drink driver jailed for three years over InvernessSpike
`* Re: Drink driver jailed for three years over Inverness bookmaker's crashSimon Mason
 +- Re: Drink driver jailed for three years over InvernessSpike
 `- Re: Drink driver jailed for three years over Inverness bookmaker's crashSimon Mason

1
Drink driver jailed for three years over Inverness bookmaker's crash

<f86f0a2a-2d1c-4848-84e2-24b4f1db43bcn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35370&group=uk.rec.cycling#35370

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2023 04:48:12 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Drink driver jailed for three years over Inverness bookmaker's crash
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Wed, 1 Nov 2023 11:48 UTC

A drink driver who left three men with life-threatening injuries after crashing her car into a bookmaker's in Inverness has been jailed.

Donna Stewart, 46, was originally charged with attempting to murder her partner Hugh Lowther and two other passengers in the crash in 2021.

The mother-of-five, from Perth, denied that charge but pled guilty to dangerous driving.

She was jailed for three years and also given a six-year driving ban.

The High Court in Edinburgh heard that Stewart, who was living in Inverness at the time, and her long-term partner Mr Lowther had visited a woman at her home.

Stewart discovered that Mr Lowther had he been having an affair and that he had gone back on a promise to end his involvement with drugs.

The prosecutor said that appeared to have been "the catalyst" for Stewart to start drinking heavily and become increasingly upset.

The couple drove to a friend's home where they were heard arguing and Stewart insisted on driving the Mercedes C220 with Mr Lowther, Stephen MacDonald and John Fraser as passengers.

During the journey, one of the men said at one point the car's speedometer registered 80mph and they were all shouting at her to slow down.
'Devastating consequences'

CCTV footage showed the car emerge at high speed from Lower Kessock Street, where it crossed Grant Street and collided with the wall of a branch of William Hill.

Members of the public helped remove Mr MacDonald and Mr Fraser from the vehicle. Stewart and Mr Lowther were cut out from the car by firefighters.

All four were taken to Raigmore Hospital in Inverness by ambulance and the three men underwent surgery after sustaining injuries which were described as "life threating".

Judge Graham Buchanan told Stewart: "Your actions on the night in question were totally irresponsible and resulted in devastating consequences for each of your three victims.

"You were driving whilst intoxicated through alcohol, to some extent at least, and it is plain your speed was grossly excessive.

"It is clear that in the circumstances only a sentence of imprisonment is appropriate."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-67078246

Re: Drink driver jailed for three years over Inverness bookmaker's crash

<kqetkmFr58nU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35378&group=uk.rec.cycling#35378

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Drink driver jailed for three years over Inverness bookmaker's
crash
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2023 12:12:06 +0000
 by: JNugent - Wed, 1 Nov 2023 12:12 UTC

On 01/11/2023 11:48 am, Simon Misogyny wrote:

> A drink driver who left three men with life-threatening injuries after crashing her car into a bookmaker's in Inverness has been jailed.
>
> Donna Stewart, 46, was originally charged with attempting to murder her partner Hugh Lowther and two other passengers in the crash in 2021.
>
> The mother-of-five, from Perth, denied that charge but pled guilty to dangerous driving.
>
> She was jailed for three years and also given a six-year driving ban.
>
> The High Court in Edinburgh heard that Stewart, who was living in Inverness at the time, and her long-term partner Mr Lowther had visited a woman at her home.
>
> Stewart discovered that Mr Lowther had he been having an affair and that he had gone back on a promise to end his involvement with drugs.

"Stewart discovered that Mr Lowther had he been having an affair"?

What does that even mean?

> The prosecutor said that appeared to have been "the catalyst" for Stewart to start drinking heavily and become increasingly upset.
>
> The couple drove to a friend's home where they were heard arguing and Stewart insisted on driving the Mercedes C220 with Mr Lowther, Stephen MacDonald and John Fraser as passengers.
>
> During the journey, one of the men said at one point the car's speedometer registered 80mph and they were all shouting at her to slow down.
> 'Devastating consequences'
>
> CCTV footage showed the car emerge at high speed from Lower Kessock Street, where it crossed Grant Street and collided with the wall of a branch of William Hill.
>
> Members of the public helped remove Mr MacDonald and Mr Fraser from the vehicle. Stewart and Mr Lowther were cut out from the car by firefighters.
>
> All four were taken to Raigmore Hospital in Inverness by ambulance and the three men underwent surgery after sustaining injuries which were described as "life threating".
>
> Judge Graham Buchanan told Stewart: "Your actions on the night in question were totally irresponsible and resulted in devastating consequences for each of your three victims.
>
> "You were driving whilst intoxicated through alcohol, to some extent at least, and it is plain your speed was grossly excessive.
>
> "It is clear that in the circumstances only a sentence of imprisonment is appropriate."
>
> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-67078246

Was there someone riding the chav-bike inside the bookmaker's shop, then?

Is that what makes the story on-topic for uk.r.c?

Re: Drink driver jailed for three years over Inverness bookmaker's crash

<kqetu8Fr7jcU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35380&group=uk.rec.cycling#35380

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Drink driver jailed for three years over Inverness
bookmaker's crash
Date: 1 Nov 2023 12:17:12 GMT
 by: Spike - Wed, 1 Nov 2023 12:17 UTC

Simon Mason <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:

> The mother-of-five, from Perth, denied that charge but pled guilty to dangerous driving.

Pled? PLED?? What’s wrong with ‘pleaded’?

--
Spike

Re: Drink driver jailed for three years over Inverness bookmaker's crash

<afb397ca-20ea-4831-82b6-ae6d54775a24n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35388&group=uk.rec.cycling#35388

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2023 06:48:08 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Wed, 1 Nov 2023 13:48 UTC

QUOTE: Stewart discovered that Mr Lowther had he been having an affair and that he had gone back on a promise to end his involvement with drugs. The prosecutor said that appeared to have been "the catalyst" for Stewart to start drinking heavily and become increasingly upset. ENDS

That "promise" did not last very long - did it?

Re: Drink driver jailed for three years over Inverness bookmaker's crash

<kqfd0rFufuiU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35397&group=uk.rec.cycling#35397

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
bookmaker's crash
Date: 1 Nov 2023 16:34:35 GMT
 by: Spike - Wed, 1 Nov 2023 16:34 UTC

Simon Mason <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:

> QUOTE: Stewart discovered that Mr Lowther had he been [SIC] having an
> affair and that he had gone back on a promise to end his involvement with drugs. ENDS

> That "promise" did not last very long - did it?

English: Failed

--
Spike

Re: Drink driver jailed for three years over Inverness bookmaker's crash

<f6de40c0-997c-4146-ad1c-59aaad1f0bebn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35405&group=uk.rec.cycling#35405

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2023 11:03:09 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Wed, 1 Nov 2023 18:03 UTC

Nasty - that will be an expensive write-off!

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/976/cpsprodpb/3F40/production/_116629161_grantst.jpg.webp