Two wrongs are only the beginning. -- Kohn

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Jail for driver who used false name to book taxi after smash

SubjectAuthor
* Jail for driver who used false name to book taxi after smashSimon Mason
+* Re: Jail for driver who used false name to book taxi after smashJNugent
|`* Re: Jail for driver who used false name to book taxi after smashSpike
| +* Re: Jail for driver who used false name to book taxi after smashJNugent
| |`- Re: Jail for driver who used false name to book taxi after smashSpike
| `* Re: Jail for driver who used false name to book taxi after smashJNugent
|  `* Re: Jail for driver who used false name to book taxi after smashSpike
|   `- Re: Jail for driver who used false name to book taxi after smashJNugent
+* Re: Jail for driver who used false name to book taxi after smashSimon Mason
|`- Re: Jail for driver who used false name to book taxi after smashJNugent
+* Re: Jail for driver who used false name to book taxi after smashSimon Mason
|+- Re: Jail for driver who used false name to book taxi after smashJNugent
|`- Re: Jail for driver who used false name to book taxi after smashSimon Mason
+- Re: Jail for driver who used false name to book taxi after smashSimon Mason
`- Re: Jail for driver who used false name to book taxi after smashSimon Mason

1
Jail for driver who used false name to book taxi after smash

<40fcdbd3-c181-472c-b95b-ac514282b1b5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35373&group=uk.rec.cycling#35373

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2023 04:53:29 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Jail for driver who used false name to book taxi after smash
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Wed, 1 Nov 2023 11:53 UTC

A serial Sunderland roads offender has been jailed for causing a three-car smash he blamed on a dog - then fleeing before he could be breath tested.

Banned driver Robert McLeod, 41, is starting 17 weeks behind bars after a court heard he caused the crash seconds after leaving the city’s Ivy House pub

McLeod, of Cossack Terrace, Pallion, was caught on CCTV exiting the boozer with a woman and getting behind the wheel of her BMW.

Footage from a household Ring doorbell moments later showed the car hitting a parked red vintage Mercedes in Worcester Terrace, Ashbrooke.

The force of the smash, at around 11pm on Sunday, April 16, caused over £4,000 of damage to the Mercedes and sent it careering into a second motor.

McLeod then used a false name in phoning a taxi on his mobile, which along with DNA evidence linked him to the crash, prosecutor Ruth Foster said.

She said McLeod, who has previous convictions for driving while banned and drink and drug driving, would have been breathalysed had he stayed at the scene.

He claimed the crash had been caused by a pooch running into the road – and that he had not been boozing, magistrates in South Tyneside heard.

Mrs Foster added: “The defendant was seen leaving the Ivy House with a female and getting into a black BMW.

“The vehicle is seen being driven at speed and into a red Mercedes, which shunts another vehicle.

“The defendant is seen getting picked up by a taxi. He gave a different name, but from the mobile he used to call officers in relation to this investigation.

“The steering wheel and airbag were taken from the BMW for forensic analysis, and they came back with the DNA of the defendant.

“It was quite clear from the Ring doorbell that the BMW collided with the Mercedes at considerable speed and shunted it down the road.

“The Mercedes was a classic car and improvements had been done. The insurance only paid for a basic car, which left £1,850 outstanding.”

McLeod pleaded guilty to driving while disqualified, failing to stop after an accident, driving without due care and attention and driving without insurance.

He has 19 previous convictions, including drink driving in 2009 and drug driving in 2018.

And McLeod, who works overseas, was given a 32-month ban in 2021 for driving while disqualified.

Joanne Gatens, defending, said: “He has significant personal mitigation. He’s in employment and has a good job.

“In terms of the accident, he would say that a dog ran out in front of the car.

“He tells me he doesn’t drink and hasn’t for some time. He would not want the assumption to be that he had been drinking.”

McLeod was sentenced to concurrent 17-week jail terms for failing to stop and driving while banned, with no separate penalty for the other charges.

He was disqualified from driving for 20 months, with an additional eight weeks for time spent in prison.

https://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/crime/jail-for-driver-who-used-false-name-to-book-taxi-after-smash-4393191

Re: Jail for driver who used false name to book taxi after smash

<kqethlFr58nU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35377&group=uk.rec.cycling#35377

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2023 12:10:29 +0000
 by: JNugent - Wed, 1 Nov 2023 12:10 UTC

On 01/11/2023 11:53 am, Simon Mason wrote:

> A serial Sunderland roads offender has been jailed for causing a three-car smash he blamed on a dog - then fleeing before he could be breath tested.

IOW: driving whilst only a chav-cyclist and failing to stop (actually,
he did stop, but failed to hang around as a pedestrian).

> Banned driver Robert McLeod, 41, is starting 17 weeks behind bars after a court heard he caused the crash seconds after leaving the city’s Ivy House pub
> McLeod, of Cossack Terrace, Pallion, was caught on CCTV exiting the boozer with a woman and getting behind the wheel of her BMW.
> Footage from a household Ring doorbell moments later showed the car hitting a parked red vintage Mercedes in Worcester Terrace, Ashbrooke.
> The force of the smash, at around 11pm on Sunday, April 16, caused over £4,000 of damage to the Mercedes and sent it careering into a second motor.
> McLeod then used a false name in phoning a taxi on his mobile, which along with DNA evidence linked him to the crash, prosecutor Ruth Foster said.
> She said McLeod, who has previous convictions for driving while banned and drink and drug driving, would have been breathalysed had he stayed at the scene.
> He claimed the crash had been caused by a pooch running into the road – and that he had not been boozing, magistrates in South Tyneside heard.
> Mrs Foster added: “The defendant was seen leaving the Ivy House with a female and getting into a black BMW.
> “The vehicle is seen being driven at speed and into a red Mercedes, which shunts another vehicle.
> “The defendant is seen getting picked up by a taxi. He gave a different name, but from the mobile he used to call officers in relation to this investigation.
> “The steering wheel and airbag were taken from the BMW for forensic analysis, and they came back with the DNA of the defendant.
> “It was quite clear from the Ring doorbell that the BMW collided with the Mercedes at considerable speed and shunted it down the road.
> “The Mercedes was a classic car and improvements had been done. The insurance only paid for a basic car, which left £1,850 outstanding.”
> McLeod pleaded guilty to driving while disqualified [ie, while only a fully-unqualified chav-cyclist], failing to stop after an accident, driving without due care and attention and driving without insurance.
> He has 19 previous convictions, including drink driving in 2009 and drug driving in 2018.

Typical chav-cyclist, would you say?

It's certainly TCCB.

> And McLeod, who works overseas, was given a 32-month ban in 2021 for driving while disqualified.
> Joanne Gatens, defending, said: “He has significant personal mitigation. He’s in employment and has a good job.
> “In terms of the accident, he would say that a dog ran out in front of the car.
> “He tells me he doesn’t drink and hasn’t for some time. He would not want the assumption to be that he had been drinking.”
> McLeod was sentenced to concurrent 17-week jail terms for failing to stop and driving while banned, with no separate penalty for the other charges.
> He was disqualified from driving for 20 months, with an additional eight weeks for time spent in prison.
>
> https://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/crime/jail-for-driver-who-used-false-name-to-book-taxi-after-smash-4393191

So no conviction for drink-driving.

And why is that?

For the time-honoured reason that there was no evidence for it.

Still... "driving whilst being nothing more than a mere
fully-unqualified chav-cyclist" will do nicely. And of course, no
fully-unqualified chav-cyclist who causes an accident is going to stop
and exchange details for very obvious reasons.

But... there's another fully-unqualified chav-cyclist off the road for a
few weeks.

Re: Jail for driver who used false name to book taxi after smash

<kqetpcFr6kiU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35379&group=uk.rec.cycling#35379

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 1 Nov 2023 12:14:36 GMT
 by: Spike - Wed, 1 Nov 2023 12:14 UTC

JNugent <jnugent@mail.com> wrote:
> On 01/11/2023 11:53 am, Simon Mason wrote:

>> A serial Sunderland roads offender has been jailed for causing a
>> three-car smash he blamed on a dog - then fleeing before he could be breath tested.

> IOW: driving whilst only a chav-cyclist and failing to stop (actually,
> he did stop, but failed to hang around as a pedestrian).

Interesting…There was no OP showing here, only your reply to it. I wonder
what filter took it out? The ‘poor English’ one, perhaps?

--
Spike

Re: Jail for driver who used false name to book taxi after smash

<33c5015e-5821-4417-8f98-b0e8a45610b1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35387&group=uk.rec.cycling#35387

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2023 06:46:19 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Wed, 1 Nov 2023 13:46 UTC

QUOTE: She said McLeod, who has previous convictions for driving while banned and drink and drug driving, would have been breathalysed had he stayed at the scene. ENDS

Had the non existent dog been drinking? :-)

Re: Jail for driver who used false name to book taxi after smash

<kqffhqFgklU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35401&group=uk.rec.cycling#35401

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2023 17:17:47 +0000
 by: JNugent - Wed, 1 Nov 2023 17:17 UTC

On 01/11/2023 12:14 pm, Spike wrote:
> JNugent <jnugent@mail.com> wrote:
>> On 01/11/2023 11:53 am, Simon Mason wrote:
>
>>> A serial Sunderland roads offender has been jailed for causing a
>>> three-car smash he blamed on a dog - then fleeing before he could be breath tested.
>
>> IOW: driving whilst only a chav-cyclist and failing to stop (actually,
>> he did stop, but failed to hang around as a pedestrian).
>
> Interesting…There was no OP showing here, only your reply to it. I wonder
> what filter took it out? The ‘poor English’ one, perhaps?

Posted by Mr Misogyny at 11:53 today (and still on the Berlin news
server, apparently):

QUOTE:
[...]

ENDQUOTE

Re: Jail for driver who used false name to book taxi after smash

<kqffo2FkffU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35402&group=uk.rec.cycling#35402

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2023 17:21:06 +0000
 by: JNugent - Wed, 1 Nov 2023 17:21 UTC

On 01/11/2023 12:14 pm, Spike wrote:

> JNugent <jnugent@mail.com> wrote:
>> On 01/11/2023 11:53 am, Simon Mason wrote:
>
>>> A serial Sunderland roads offender has been jailed for causing a
>>> three-car smash he blamed on a dog - then fleeing before he could be breath tested.
>
>> IOW: driving whilst only a chav-cyclist and failing to stop (actually,
>> he did stop, but failed to hang around as a pedestrian).
>
> Interesting…There was no OP showing here, only your reply to it. I wonder
> what filter took it out? The ‘poor English’ one, perhaps?

Mind you, I had "article can't be found" responses to three of Mr
Misogyny's posts today, in the threads headed:

"Predatory taxi-driver",

"Warminster delivery driver" and

"M6 driver caught drinking tea".

I surmise that he has learned how to cancel posts, probably using an
add-on for Google Groups that he wrote himself.

Re: Jail for driver who used false name to book taxi after smash

<kqffpkFkffU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35403&group=uk.rec.cycling#35403

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2023 17:21:57 +0000

On 01/11/2023 01:46 pm, Simon Misogyny wrote:

> QUOTE: She said McLeod, who has previous convictions for driving while banned and drink and drug driving, would have been breathalysed had he stayed at the scene. ENDS
>
> Had the non existent dog been drinking? :-)

Not only that, but it was riding the fairy-cycle.

Re: Jail for driver who used false name to book taxi after smash

<f8f7e78c-01ef-4b55-80dd-fefee5ab49e0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35408&group=uk.rec.cycling#35408

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2023 11:10:58 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Wed, 1 Nov 2023 18:10 UTC

QUOTE:
“The vehicle is seen being driven at speed and into a red Mercedes, which shunts another vehicle.
ENDS

A white car slamming into a red car?
A game of chav snooker?
A pint after each cannon. :-)

Re: Jail for driver who used false name to book taxi after smash

<kqfj73F1ai0U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35409&group=uk.rec.cycling#35409

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2023 18:20:20 +0000
 by: JNugent - Wed, 1 Nov 2023 18:20 UTC

On 01/11/2023 06:10 pm, Simon Misogyny wrote:

> QUOTE:
> “The vehicle is seen being driven at speed and into a red Mercedes, which shunts another vehicle.
> ENDS

> A white car slamming into a red car?
> A game of chav snooker?
> A pint after each cannon. :-)

One defers to your knowledge of and involvement in such things, M'Lud.

Re: Jail for driver who used false name to book taxi after smash

<009c1833-0d73-4740-bdef-c39e2e952accn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35413&group=uk.rec.cycling#35413

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2023 12:03:27 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Wed, 1 Nov 2023 19:03 UTC

On Wednesday, November 1, 2023 at 6:11:00 PM UTC, Simon Mason wrote:
> QUOTE:
> “The vehicle is seen being driven at speed and into a red Mercedes, which shunts another vehicle.
> ENDS
>
> A white car slamming into a red car?
> A game of chav snooker?
> A pint after each cannon. :-)

QUOTE: Mrs Foster added: “The defendant was seen leaving the Ivy House with a female and getting into a black BMW. ENDS

Black? That was seven points, your honour!

Re: Jail for driver who used false name to book taxi after smash

<kqfmctF21gnU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35415&group=uk.rec.cycling#35415

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 1 Nov 2023 19:14:37 GMT
 by: Spike - Wed, 1 Nov 2023 19:14 UTC

JNugent <jnugent@mail.com> wrote:
> On 01/11/2023 12:14 pm, Spike wrote:
>> JNugent <jnugent@mail.com> wrote:

>>> IOW: driving whilst only a chav-cyclist and failing to stop (actually,
>>> he did stop, but failed to hang around as a pedestrian).
>>
>> Interesting…There was no OP showing here, only your reply to it. I wonder
>> what filter took it out? The ‘poor English’ one, perhaps?
>
> Posted by Mr Misogyny at 11:53 today (and still on the Berlin news
> server, apparently):
>
> QUOTE:
[…]
> ENDQUOTE

Thanks. I use NIN here, so slightly puzzled as to why it didn’t show up.
Just one of those things…

--
Spike

Re: Jail for driver who used false name to book taxi after smash

<kqfmusF26ggU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35417&group=uk.rec.cycling#35417

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 1 Nov 2023 19:24:12 GMT
 by: Spike - Wed, 1 Nov 2023 19:24 UTC

JNugent <jnugent@mail.com> wrote:
> On 01/11/2023 12:14 pm, Spike wrote:
>
>> JNugent <jnugent@mail.com> wrote:

>>> IOW: driving whilst only a chav-cyclist and failing to stop (actually,
>>> he did stop, but failed to hang around as a pedestrian).
>>
>> Interesting…There was no OP showing here, only your reply to it. I wonder
>> what filter took it out? The ‘poor English’ one, perhaps?
>
> Mind you, I had "article can't be found" responses to three of Mr
> Misogyny's posts today, in the threads headed:
>
> "Predatory taxi-driver",
>
> "Warminster delivery driver" and
>
> "M6 driver caught drinking tea".
>
> I surmise that he has learned how to cancel posts, probably using an
> add-on for Google Groups that he wrote himself.

Those posts are available here, I could quote them for you…but there are 11

Spike

Re: Jail for driver who used false name to book taxi after smash

<cd2a4b9e-abd7-45b2-a93c-142270cb6a96n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35418&group=uk.rec.cycling#35418

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2023 12:27:11 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Wed, 1 Nov 2023 19:27 UTC

QUOTE: “The Mercedes was a classic car and improvements had been done. The insurance only paid for a basic car, which left £1,850 outstanding.” ENDS

I think these "improvements " have been somewhat negated by stoving it into a couple of cars and getting shunted down the road. :-)

Re: Jail for driver who used false name to book taxi after smash

<kqga7hF68j7U4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35428&group=uk.rec.cycling#35428

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2023 00:53:05 +0000
 by: JNugent - Thu, 2 Nov 2023 00:53 UTC

On 01/11/2023 07:24 pm, Spike wrote:

> JNugent <jnugent@mail.com> wrote:

>>> Interesting…There was no OP showing here, only your reply to it. I wonder
>>> what filter took it out? The ‘poor English’ one, perhaps?
>>
>> Mind you, I had "article can't be found" responses to three of Mr
>> Misogyny's posts today, in the threads headed:
>>
>> "Predatory taxi-driver",
>>
>> "Warminster delivery driver" and
>>
>> "M6 driver caught drinking tea".
>>
>> I surmise that he has learned how to cancel posts, probably using an
>> add-on for Google Groups that he wrote himself.
>
> Those posts are available here, I could quote them for you…but there are 11

Oh, please...

Is the Pope Catholic?

[But I have seen some responses, just not that one.]

Re: Jail for driver who used false name to book taxi after smash

<db872833-052a-483e-a863-b4de941bf71fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35430&group=uk.rec.cycling#35430

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2023 00:25:57 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Thu, 2 Nov 2023 07:25 UTC

QUOTE: McLeod, who has previous convictions for driving while banned and drink and drug driving. ENDS

QUOTE: He claimed the crash had been caused by a pooch running into the road – and that he had not been boozing, magistrates in South Tyneside heard. ENDS

Never touched a single drop - no Siree.