Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2023 09:27:13 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Hyndburn taxi drivers fined for chucking litter from car windows
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Thu, 2 Nov 2023 16:27 UTC

TWO taxi drivers have been prosecuted and fined for throwing litter from their car windows in Hyndburn borough.

It was part of a council crackdown on flytipping and littering.

Both cases were presented to Burnley Magistrate’s Court and tried by magistrates at the end of August despite the two defendants failing to attend court.

The two defendants were both found guilty.

Each received a £220 fine, £88 victim surcharge, and £250 in cost for the council, totalling to £558 to be paid to the court within 28 days or they will face further charges

Cllr Steven Smithson, Hyndburn Council's environment boss, said: "I have always been vocal about my commitment to cleaning up our borough.

"I can assure residents that I will continue to push forward with this throughout my time as portfolio holder for environmental services.

"Simply put, littering is completely unacceptable, and it is a real shame that a minority of people think that they can get away with this.

"I would like to thank everyone who has been involved in seeing the prosecution of these individuals.

"I am keen to remind all residents that these individuals are not the exception.

"There are hefty fines for flytipping waste (including littering) and this ongoing council action demonstrates our commitment to enforcing these consequences in service of shaping a cleaner, healthier borough.”

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/23846769.hyndburn-taxi-drivers-fined-chucking-litter-car-windows/