From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Shimano under ransomware attack?
Date: 4 Nov 2023 09:08:49 GMT
 by: Spike - Sat, 4 Nov 2023 09:08 UTC

Shimano allegedly hit by massive ransomware attack threatening to release
confidential data

The ransomware attackers claim to be in possession of 4.5TB of data
belonging to the Japanese components giant, including information including
factory inspection results, lab tests and financial documents

by ADWITIYA PAL
FRI, NOV 03, 2023 11:11

Shimano, the world's leading manufacturer of cycling components, seems to
have been hit by a massive data breach by the ransomware attacker LockBit,
who has threatened to release confidential data, including information such
as factory inspection results, lab tests and financial documents by 5
November if their demands are not met.

LockBit is a major international cybercrime group that uses malware to
breach global corporations' security protocols and attempts to extort money
in exchange.

Its previous targets have included Royal Mail, with the British postal
company's international services severely disrupted in January 2023 due to
the attack. American aeroplane and missiles manufacturer Boeing is the
latest victim of the group, with the company officially confirming the
attack yesterday.

The reports of the attack on Shimano emerged after a cyber security group
FalconFeeds.io posted a screenshot obtained from the dark web on Thursday
evening, showing that the hackers have access to 4.5TB of data belonging to
the Japanese manufacturer of cycling components, fishing tackle and rowing
equipments.

The allegedly stolen data includes confidential employee details, financial
documents, client database and other crucial information such as factory
inspection results (violations), reports from production, confidential
diagrams/drawings, development materials, laboratory tests, and more.

At the bottom of the screenshot, it says: "All available data will be
published!". The deadline set by the hackers is 05 November 18:34 UTC

When road.cc reached out to Shimano for comment, a spokesperson for the
company said: “This is an internal matter at Shimano, and we cannot comment
on anything at this time.”

The screenshot, however, is consistent with other victim organisations
targeted on the ransom website of the LockBit 3.0 variant.

> Bike industry turmoil: Shimano says global cycling market remains “weak”
> as segment sales fall by a quarter – and worse to come?

Shimano has recently been under global scrutiny since its recall programme
for 760,000 Dura-Ace and Ultegra bonded 11-speed road cranksets in North
America.

[Full report at]

<https://road.cc/content/news/shimano-allegedly-hit-massive-ransomware-attack-304887>

--