Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2023 05:29:42 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Jailed: Killer lorry driver will be 'haunted for life' after A5 crash
that killed 'protective' son
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Wed, 8 Nov 2023 13:29 UTC

A lorry driver who killed a young man by carrying out a "highly dangerous" overtake will be "haunted for the rest of his life".

A lorry driver has been jailed for causing a fatal head-on crash.

Callum Powell, 23, from Shrewsbury, died after the lorry hit his car on the A5 near Nesscliffe on 23 January.

Patrick Casey, 22, of County Monaghan, was jailed for four years and two months after admitting causing death by dangerous driving.

Hundreds of people attended a vigil to remember Mr Powell in the week following his death and raised thousands of pounds for his family.

A friend who was at that gathering, Louis Hervey, said Mr Powell was "always up for an adventure" and they shared " absolutely amazing memories".

"He was an amazing lad, always friendly to me and my mates if we ever bumped into him out and about in the evenings," Mr Hervey said.

Casey, from Broomfield, Castleblayney, in the Republic of Ireland will also be banned from driving for five years when he leaves prison.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-shropshire-67355967