The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Challenge made over Keighley drug driver's sentence

SubjectAuthor
* Challenge made over Keighley drug driver's sentenceSimon Mason
+- Re: Challenge made over Keighley drug driver's sentenceJNugent
+* Re: Challenge made over Keighley drug driver's sentenceSimon Mason
|`* Re: Challenge made over Keighley drug driver's sentenceSpike
| `- Re: Challenge made over Keighley drug driver's sentenceJNugent
+- Re: Challenge made over Keighley drug driver's sentenceSimon Mason
`* Re: Challenge made over Keighley drug driver's sentenceSimon Mason
 +- Re: Challenge made over Keighley drug driver's sentenceSpike
 `- Re: Challenge made over Keighley drug driver's sentenceSimon Mason

1
Challenge made over Keighley drug driver's sentence

<e89da8a5-ad6b-4d08-9a84-8aa9a2847d14n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35535&group=uk.rec.cycling#35535

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2023 08:01:40 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Challenge made over Keighley drug driver's sentence
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Fri, 10 Nov 2023 16:01 UTC

A CHALLENGE has been made over the length of the prison sentence handed to a Keighley drug driver who killed a nine-year-old boy in a hit-and-run

Luke Widdop, 51, did not stop at the scene in Sutton-in-Craven, leaving George Lewis fatally injured in the crash, after he was thrown from the road into a field.

His father Michael Lewis and another child were injured in the collision, which happened as they were walking on the road at around 9pm on September 17, 2021.

Last month Widdop was jailed for eight years at Bradford Crown Court, but a bid has now been made for the sentence to be reviewed under a scheme for sentences believed to be too lenient.

The Attorney General must now decide whether to refer Widdop’s sentence to the Court of Appeal, where the jail term could be increased.

Under the rules of the unduly lenient sentence scheme, the Attorney General’s Office has 28 days from the date of sentence to make a decision

During the original court case Bradford Crown Court heard that dairy worker Widdop, who has a criminal record of over 50 offences dating back to 1989, had smoked crack cocaine at some point before driving home in a work van.

Traces of heroin were also found in his system.

Widdop was speeding at around 50mph, where the limit is 30mph, and later told police he was “tired” after being at work, and just wanted to “put his feet up”, the court heard.

Mr Lewis was leading the two children and had illuminated his mobile phone torch to see the way and to warn oncoming drivers, the court heard.

When he realised a vehicle was coming towards them, he urged the youngsters to come in closer to a stone wall on the lane, which had no pavement.

Judge Jonathan Rose, sentencing, said: “Sadly, that was not enough to save them. You struck each of them in turn.”

George died from multiple injuries at the scene.

Widdop drove home but handed himself in to police soon after, claimed not to have realised he had hit three people but surrendered after seeing damage to the van and a police helicopter in the sky.

A mouth swab revealed he had taken cocaine, and further tests revealed he had also used heroin.

Widdop had admitted causing death by careless driving while unfit through drugs at his first court appearance.

https://www.keighleynews.co.uk/news/23914271.challenge-made-keighley-drug-drivers-sentence/

Re: Challenge made over Keighley drug driver's sentence

<kr72mfFhf32U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35536&group=uk.rec.cycling#35536

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2023 16:05:35 +0000
 by: JNugent - Fri, 10 Nov 2023 16:05 UTC

On 10/11/2023 04:01 pm, Simon Mason wrote:
> A CHALLENGE has been made over the length of the prison sentence handed to a Keighley drug driver who killed a nine-year-old boy in a hit-and-run
>
> Luke Widdop, 51, did not stop at the scene in Sutton-in-Craven, leaving George Lewis fatally injured in the crash, after he was thrown from the road into a field.
>
> His father Michael Lewis and another child were injured in the collision, which happened as they were walking on the road at around 9pm on September 17, 2021.
>
> Last month Widdop was jailed for eight years at Bradford Crown Court, but a bid has now been made for the sentence to be reviewed under a scheme for sentences believed to be too lenient.
>
> The Attorney General must now decide whether to refer Widdop’s sentence to the Court of Appeal, where the jail term could be increased.
>
> Under the rules of the unduly lenient sentence scheme, the Attorney General’s Office has 28 days from the date of sentence to make a decision
>
> During the original court case Bradford Crown Court heard that dairy worker Widdop, who has a criminal record of over 50 offences dating back to 1989, had smoked crack cocaine at some point before driving home in a work van.
>
> Traces of heroin were also found in his system.
>
> Widdop was speeding at around 50mph, where the limit is 30mph, and later told police he was “tired” after being at work, and just wanted to “put his feet up”, the court heard.
>
> Mr Lewis was leading the two children and had illuminated his mobile phone torch to see the way and to warn oncoming drivers, the court heard.
>
> When he realised a vehicle was coming towards them, he urged the youngsters to come in closer to a stone wall on the lane, which had no pavement.
>
> Judge Jonathan Rose, sentencing, said: “Sadly, that was not enough to save them. You struck each of them in turn.”
>
> George died from multiple injuries at the scene.
>
> Widdop drove home but handed himself in to police soon after, claimed not to have realised he had hit three people but surrendered after seeing damage to the van and a police helicopter in the sky.
>
> A mouth swab revealed he had taken cocaine, and further tests revealed he had also used heroin.
>
> Widdop had admitted causing death by careless driving while unfit through drugs at his first court appearance.
>
> https://www.keighleynews.co.uk/news/23914271.challenge-made-keighley-drug-drivers-sentence/

Welcome back, Simon.

A couple of us were starting to get a bit worried about you.

Re: Challenge made over Keighley drug driver's sentence

<62d286d2-249c-4a4b-a92e-2d033e83898bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35540&group=uk.rec.cycling#35540

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2023 09:03:51 -0800 (PST)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Fri, 10 Nov 2023 17:03 UTC

QUOTE: Widdop was speeding at around 50mph, where the limit is 30mph, and later told police he was “tired” after being at work, and just wanted to “put his feet up”, the court heard. ENDS

When you are in a hole stop digging as we say in the trade.

Re: Challenge made over Keighley drug driver's sentence

<kr79a3Fik91U3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35545&group=uk.rec.cycling#35545

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 10 Nov 2023 17:58:27 GMT
 by: Spike - Fri, 10 Nov 2023 17:58 UTC

Simon Mason <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:
> QUOTE: Widdop was speeding at around 50mph, where the limit is 30mph, and
> later told police he was “tired” after being at work, and just wanted to
> “put his feet up”, the court heard. ENDS

> When you are in a hole stop digging as we say in the trade.

That’s the pits…

--
Spike

Re: Challenge made over Keighley drug driver's sentence

<4c65c47a-000f-493f-83bc-0ced6f244ceen@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35547&group=uk.rec.cycling#35547

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2023 10:05:17 -0800 (PST)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Fri, 10 Nov 2023 18:05 UTC

QUOTE: Last month Widdop was jailed for eight years at Bradford Crown Court, but a bid has now been made for the sentence to be reviewed under a scheme for sentences believed to be too lenient. ENDS

Does Mr Arsehole deal with ADDING years on to driver sentences?

Re: Challenge made over Keighley drug driver's sentence

<kr7h1eFjttoU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35553&group=uk.rec.cycling#35553

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2023 20:10:22 +0000
 by: JNugent - Fri, 10 Nov 2023 20:10 UTC

On 10/11/2023 05:58 pm, Spike wrote:

> Simon Mason <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:

>> QUOTE: Widdop was speeding at around 50mph, where the limit is 30mph, and
>> later told police he was “tired” after being at work, and just wanted to
>> “put his feet up”, the court heard. ENDS
>
>> When you are in a hole stop digging as we say in the trade.
>
> That’s the pits…

LOL!

And I didn't know he'd moved into "civil engineering".

Re: Challenge made over Keighley drug driver's sentence

<32842b26-bb60-46bc-b51e-d1e2d0370c51n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35554&group=uk.rec.cycling#35554

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2023 12:13:42 -0800 (PST)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Fri, 10 Nov 2023 20:13 UTC

A MAN has been jailed after causing the death of a nine-year-old boy in a hit-and-run road collision.

Luke Widdop, aged 51, of Park Avenue, Keighley, was sentenced to eight years in prison at Bradford Crown Court today after previously pleading guilty to causing death by careless driving while unfit through drugs. He was also banned from driving for seven years with an extension of four years.

George Lewis, aged nine, was pronounced dead at the scene of the collision in Sutton Lane, Sutton-in-Craven, near Keighley, on Friday, September 17, 2021.

Widdop failed to stop at the time and later attended a police station in North Yorkshire where he was arrested.

Detective Constable Mark Turner, of the Major Collision Enquiry Team, said: “The reckless actions of Widdop took away any future for George who was just walking home with his family.

“We have continued to support the family throughout this long investigation, and I hope today can bring them some closure and sense of justice, in what has been an extremely difficult few years for them

“I hope today’s sentence also sends a clear message to anyone who thinks they can get behind the wheel whilst unfit through drink or drugs.”

https://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/23866820.keighley-man-jailed-eight-years-hit-run/

Re: Challenge made over Keighley drug driver's sentence

<kr7o6cFl661U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35556&group=uk.rec.cycling#35556

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 10 Nov 2023 22:12:28 GMT
 by: Spike - Fri, 10 Nov 2023 22:12 UTC

Simon Mason <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:

> Luke Widdop, aged 51, of Park Avenue, Keighley, was sentenced to eight
> years in prison at Bradford Crown Court today after previously pleading
> guilty to causing death by careless driving while unfit through drugs. He
> was also banned from driving for seven years with an extension of four years.

> https://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/23866820.keighley-man-jailed-eight-years-hit-run/

There’s a similar incident reported here:

<https://www.keighleynews.co.uk/news/23914271.challenge-made-keighley-drug-drivers-sentence/>

--
Spike

Re: Challenge made over Keighley drug driver's sentence

<a37a964e-33bf-4742-a107-2eb8de556464n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35557&group=uk.rec.cycling#35557

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2023 23:15:12 -0800 (PST)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Sat, 11 Nov 2023 07:15 UTC

QUOTE: “I hope today’s sentence also sends a clear message to anyone who thinks they can get behind the wheel whilst unfit through drink or drugs.”ENDS

You can hope all you like, pal, but these morons will never learn.