From: wibble@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: A squirrel is climbing one of our olive trees and burying olives in
the lawn
Date: 17 Jan 2024 15:54:03 GMT
 by: David - Wed, 17 Jan 2024 15:54 UTC

A squirrel is climbing one of our olive tree and burying olives in the
lawn.
I can see the little swirls where the grass has been disturbed.
This raises a few questions:

(1) Tree propagation is sometimes due to squirrels burying seeds and then
not recovering them. Has anyone grown olives from seed?

(2) If/when I cut the lawn I assume this is going to mess up any location
system they have.

(3) Most years blackbirds eat the (small) olives off this tree. I wonder
how nutritious they are? They need a bit of processing for human
consumption.

As an aside, grey squirrels seem to have red tinges in their coats. Red
squirrels on Winter Watch looked to have some grey in their coats. Are
they still distinct species or has some inter-breeding taken place?

Still no snow here.

Cheers

Dave R

--
AMD FX-6300 in GA-990X-Gaming SLI-CF running Windows 10 x64

Re: A squirrel is climbing one of our olive trees and burying olives in the lawn

<uo92eo$24hfc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3556&group=uk.rec.gardening#3556

From: tnp@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Re: A squirrel is climbing one of our olive trees and burying olives
in the lawn
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2024 17:23:36 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Wed, 17 Jan 2024 17:23 UTC

On 17/01/2024 15:54, David wrote:
> A squirrel is climbing one of our olive tree and burying olives in the
> lawn.
> I can see the little swirls where the grass has been disturbed.
> This raises a few questions:
>
> (1) Tree propagation is sometimes due to squirrels burying seeds and then
> not recovering them. Has anyone grown olives from seed?

Years ago ny sister did, in Greece...

> (2) If/when I cut the lawn I assume this is going to mess up any location
> system they have.

they don't have a location system.
They just bury so many that chances are they will dig something up somewhere

> (3) Most years blackbirds eat the (small) olives off this tree. I wonder
> how nutritious they are? They need a bit of processing for human
> consumption.
>
> As an aside, grey squirrels seem to have red tinges in their coats. Red
> squirrels on Winter Watch looked to have some grey in their coats. Are
> they still distinct species or has some inter-breeding taken place?

That's an interesting thought.
Sadly the answer is apparently not.

--
Of what good are dead warriors? … Warriors are those who desire battle
more than peace. Those who seek battle despite peace. Those who thump