God must love the common man; He made so many of them.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Raleigh: job cuts, restructuring

SubjectAuthor
* Raleigh: job cuts, restructuringSpike
+* Re: Raleigh: job cuts, restructuringJNugent
|`* Re: Raleigh: job cuts, restructuringSpike
| `* Re: Raleigh: job cuts, restructuringSpike
|  `- Re: Raleigh: job cuts, restructuringJNugent
`- Re: Raleigh: job cuts, restructuringPeter Keller

1
Raleigh: job cuts, restructuring

<kr96icFtor3U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35562&group=uk.rec.cycling#35562

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Raleigh: job cuts, restructuring
Date: 11 Nov 2023 11:23:56 GMT
 by: Spike - Sat, 11 Nov 2023 11:23 UTC

Job cuts and restructuring to take place at Raleigh Bikes as it deals with
a "challenging market"

The bike manufacturer is also shutting its Parts and Accessories division
and will be outsourcing warehousing and logistics to third-party
contractors

by ADWITIYA PAL
THU, NOV 09, 2023 13:54

British bicycle manufacturer Raleigh Bikes has announced a series of job
cuts and major restructuring plans, which include completely shutting down
its Parts and Accessories department and contracting out its warehousing
and logistics to third-party, with the company saying that the move is
reflecting a "challenging market".

There are also reports that the company, which currently operates out of
its Eastwood headquarters, is looking to move to a different location.

Raleigh's parent company Accell told ITV (link is external) that formal
consultations for the restructuring, redundancies and move, were now
underway.

A spokesperson from the company said: "To ensure Accell UK remains
competitive in what is a challenging market, we have recently concluded a
detailed review of the business, aimed at helping to position Accell for
sustainable growth in the UK and internationally.

"Following the outcome of this review, we have developed a proposal to
better integrate Accell UK into the wider Accell Group business so it can
benefit from existing resources, functions and expertise, while retaining
the Accell UK HQ in the Nottingham area.

"This will better position our operations for sustainable growth. Formal
consultations on the proposal will begin immediately and we welcome input
from all parties involved as we work closely with them during this process.

"We remain committed to supporting our staff should this proposal be
adopted and keeping them informed throughout the consultation process, as
well as maintaining our service to our bike shop partners and customers."

Raleigh owner sold for €1.6 billion as private equity giant punts on future
of e-bike market

Accell has reasserted the brand would still be based in Nottinghamshire,
where it has been based ever since the Frenchman Paul Eugene Louis Angois
set up a small bicycle workshop in Raleigh Street, Nottingham in 1885.

It caught on the name Raleigh Cycle Company three years later, when Frank
Bowden acquired it, and to this day is still operating under the same name,
making it one of the oldest bike companies in the world.

However, it has not disclosed where its new HQ will be set up. It's also
not clear as to how many members of its staff will be laid off, but as of
2019, the firm employed 100 employees at the Eastwood assembly centre.

The company had moved to the Eastwood facility in the early 2000s, however
a few years ago had labelled the base as "outdated and inflexible" in the
face of changing customer needs.

The business had moved to Eastwood from its Triumph Road factory in Lenton,
which later became the University of Nottingham's Jubilee Campus. In the
1970s, Raleigh employed 13,000-plus people nationwide, including about
8,000 staff based on numerous sites on Triumph Road.

Back to the future: Raleigh relaunches iconic Chopper (again)

In 2018, its former head office in Nottingham became the 400,000th site to
be entered into Historic England’s National Heritage List.

In June this year, the historic company relaunched its iconic Raleigh
Chopper, based on the Mk2 Chopper launched in 1972, and now arguably one of
the most famous British bicycles of all time.

The new Chopper, a 'limited edition' and the product of four years of
research by the bike brand, marked the first time Raleigh has relaunched
its most celebrated bike — since 2014. However, the company says that,
unlike that model, they have tried to stay as close to the original Chopper
this time as possible.

<https://road.cc/content/news/raleigh-announces-job-cuts-and-restructuring-305003>

--
Spike

Re: Raleigh: job cuts, restructuring

<kr9aa3FuduaU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35569&group=uk.rec.cycling#35569

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Raleigh: job cuts, restructuring
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2023 12:27:48 +0000
 by: JNugent - Sat, 11 Nov 2023 12:27 UTC

On 11/11/2023 11:23 am, Spike wrote:

> [...]
> which later became the University of Nottingham's Jubilee Campus. In the
> 1970s, Raleigh employed 13,000-plus people nationwide, including about
> 8,000 staff based on numerous sites on Triumph Road.
>
> Back to the future: Raleigh relaunches iconic Chopper (again)
>
> In 2018, its former head office in Nottingham became the 400,000th site to
> be entered into Historic England’s National Heritage List.
>
> In June this year, the historic company relaunched its iconic Raleigh
> Chopper, based on the Mk2 Chopper launched in 1972, and now arguably one of
> the most famous British bicycles of all time.
>
> The new Chopper, a 'limited edition' and the product of four years of
> research by the bike brand, marked the first time Raleigh has relaunched
> its most celebrated bike — since 2014. However, the company says that,
> unlike that model, they have tried to stay as close to the original Chopper

I understood that all their chav-bikes were now made in China (or
somewhere similar).

Saturday Night And Sunday Morning...

Re: Raleigh: job cuts, restructuring

<kr9bg2F4m1U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35574&group=uk.rec.cycling#35574

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 11 Nov 2023 12:48:02 GMT
 by: Spike - Sat, 11 Nov 2023 12:48 UTC

JNugent <jnugent@mail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> Back to the future: Raleigh relaunches iconic Chopper (again)
>>
>> In 2018, its former head office in Nottingham became the 400,000th site to
>> be entered into Historic England’s National Heritage List.
>>
>> In June this year, the historic company relaunched its iconic Raleigh
>> Chopper, based on the Mk2 Chopper launched in 1972, and now arguably one of
>> the most famous British bicycles of all time.
>>
>> The new Chopper, a 'limited edition' and the product of four years of
>> research by the bike brand, marked the first time Raleigh has relaunched
>> its most celebrated bike — since 2014. However, the company says that,
>> unlike that model, they have tried to stay as close to the original Chopper
>> this time as possible.
>>
>> <https://road.cc/content/news/raleigh-announces-job-cuts-and-restructuring-305003>
>
> I understood that all their chav-bikes were now made in China (or

Quite!

--
Spike

Re: Raleigh: job cuts, restructuring

<kr9cboF91kU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35578&group=uk.rec.cycling#35578

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 11 Nov 2023 13:02:48 GMT
 by: Spike - Sat, 11 Nov 2023 13:02 UTC

Spike <aero.spike@btinternet.invalid> wrote:
> JNugent <jnugent@mail.com> wrote:

>>> <https://road.cc/content/news/raleigh-announces-job-cuts-and-restructuring-305003>

>> I understood that all their chav-bikes were now made in China (or somewhere similar).

>> Saturday Night And Sunday Morning...

> Quite!

I expect that road.cc staff are too young and tender to have seen the film,
even though it features cycle manufacture at Raleigh.

--
Spike

Re: Raleigh: job cuts, restructuring

<kr9ed1Fi1uU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35579&group=uk.rec.cycling#35579

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2023 13:37:37 +0000
 by: JNugent - Sat, 11 Nov 2023 13:37 UTC

On 11/11/2023 01:02 pm, Spike wrote:

> Spike <aero.spike@btinternet.invalid> wrote:

>>> I understood that all their chav-bikes were now made in China (or somewhere similar).
>
>>> Saturday Night And Sunday Morning...
>
>> Quite!
>
> I expect that road.cc staff are too young and tender to have seen the film,
> even though it features cycle manufacture at Raleigh.

They'll certainly all be too kewl to ever watch Talking Pictures TV.

Re: Raleigh: job cuts, restructuring

<uiqac2$2c9c$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35608&group=uk.rec.cycling#35608

From: muzhmuzh@centrum.sk (Peter Keller)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2023 23:45:22 +1300
 by: Peter Keller - Sun, 12 Nov 2023 10:45 UTC

On 12/11/23 00:23, Spike wrote:

> [...]
> which later became the University of Nottingham's Jubilee Campus. In the
> 1970s, Raleigh employed 13,000-plus people nationwide, including about
> 8,000 staff based on numerous sites on Triumph Road.
>
> Back to the future: Raleigh relaunches iconic Chopper (again)
>
> In 2018, its former head office in Nottingham became the 400,000th site to
> be entered into Historic England’s National Heritage List.
>
> In June this year, the historic company relaunched its iconic Raleigh
> Chopper, based on the Mk2 Chopper launched in 1972, and now arguably one of
> the most famous British bicycles of all time.
>
> The new Chopper, a 'limited edition' and the product of four years of
> research by the bike brand, marked the first time Raleigh has relaunched
> its most celebrated bike — since 2014. However, the company says that,
> unlike that model, they have tried to stay as close to the original Chopper

The last Raleigh bike I had was Made In China.