<Endy> taniwha: Quote material :) <taniwha> Endy: :) <knghtbrd> Endy: I already snipped it

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Drivers issued urgent warning of huge £1,000 MOT fine with 15 million road users at risk

SubjectAuthor
* Drivers issued urgent warning of huge £1,000 MOT fiSimon Mason
+- Re: Drivers issued urgent warningSpike
+- Re: Drivers issued urgent warning of huge £1,000JNugent
`- Re: Drivers issued urgent warning of huge £1,000 MOSimon Mason

1
Drivers issued urgent warning of huge £1,000 MOT fine with 15 million road users at risk

<d045b18b-c204-447a-a15c-1d3a83a12263n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35805&group=uk.rec.cycling#35805

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 08:42:37 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Drivers_issued_urgent_warning_of_huge_£1,000_MOT_fi
ne_with_15_million_road_users_at_risk
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 16:42 UTC

Almost 16 million drivers could be at risk of facing a huge £1,000 fine when driving because they may not be abiding by vital road laws.

A staggering 38 per cent of motorists are unaware that an MOT test is legally required every year.

Of the 41.2 million vehicles registered in the UK, around 15.6 million may not be safe because of their lack of MOT knowledge.

Drivers are required to have a valid MOT for their vehicle or they could be hit with a £1,000 fine, with the certification lasting for a year.

New research also found that drivers were massively uneducated on how MOT tests are conducted and what they mean.

Almost one-fifth of drivers were under the impression that an MOT was dependent on mileage, while a further 16 percent thought an MOT was required only every two to four years.

n addition to the threat of a £1,000 fine, drivers could also be hit with penalty points on their licence, which will stay on there for four years.

With millions of drivers at risk of being fined for not having an MOT, the total amount of charges could total a massive £15.6billion.

Limvirak Chea, co-founder and CEO of Fixter, stressed the importance of drivers knowing about their vehicles and when they need to take them to a certified MOT garage.

He said: “Given how many in the UK rely on their car for daily trips, it’s shocking to see such a huge knowledge gap when it comes to keeping vehicles road safe.

“What’s clear from our findings is that drivers need to be educated on the importance of MOTs and servicing, regardless of how many years they’ve been on the road.”

Aside from an MOT test, drivers are encouraged to take their vehicles for a service when they think it is needed.

Generally, vehicle providers advise motorists to take their vehicles to a garage every 12,000 miles or annually.

This will have a greater impact on motorists who are required to drive further distances or for longer periods of time, such as tradespeople or taxi drivers.

The most common reasons for failing an MOT test include lighting and signalling issues, suspension problems and worn or damaged tyres.

Earlier this year, the Government consulted on measures to make MOTs “fit for the future”, which included changing the date at which the first MOT for light vehicles from three years to four years.

It was estimated that this could help motorists save around £100million a year if the proposals are brought forward.

The consultation also looked at whether electric car batteries should be tested to improve safety, new measures to tackle loud engines and look into how the DVSA could crack down on MOT fraud.

https://www.gbnews.com/lifestyle/cars/drivers-urgent-warning-mot-fines-risk

Re: Drivers issued urgent warning of huge £1,000 MOT fi ne with 15 million road users at risk

<krkbegF4f6aU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35810&group=uk.rec.cycling#35810

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Drivers issued urgent warning
Date: 15 Nov 2023 16:54:40 GMT
 by: Spike - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 16:54 UTC

Simon Mason <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:

> Almost 16 million drivers could be at risk of facing a huge £1,000 fine
> when driving because they may not be abiding by vital road laws.

> https://www.gbnews.com/lifestyle/cars/drivers-urgent-warning-mot-fines-risk

Mason quoting GB News???

Not that long ago he was calling them GAMMONS!
And RACIST PRICKS!

--
Spike

Re: Drivers issued urgent warning of huge £1,000 MOT fine with 15 million road users at risk

<krkc44F4irrU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35811&group=uk.rec.cycling#35811

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re:_Drivers_issued_urgent_warning_of_huge_£1,000
_MOT_fine_with_15_million_road_users_at_risk
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 17:06:13 +0000
 by: JNugent - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 17:06 UTC

On 15/11/2023 04:42 pm, Simon Mason wrote:

> Almost 16 million drivers could be at risk of facing a huge £1,000 fine when driving because they may not be abiding by vital road laws.
> A staggering 38 per cent of motorists are unaware that an MOT test is legally required every year.

That is highly doubtful (to the extent that it is even true, since many
cars do NOT need an MOT every year).

A large proportion of chav-cyclists like May Sun, though, may be under
that mistaken impression. I understand that some of them don't even know
that it's an offence to drive a motor vehicle - MOT or no MOT - with
inoperative windscreen wipers.

> Of the 41.2 million vehicles registered in the UK, around 15.6 million may not be safe because of their lack of MOT knowledge.

What knowledge are these 41,200,000 vehicles expected to have?

Or are you thinking of The Transformers (C)?

> Drivers are required to have a valid MOT for their vehicle or they could be hit with a £1,000 fine, with the certification lasting for a year.

More May Sun nonsense. I have the use of a car which has no MOT certificate.

Go on... tell me what law I break when driving it...

> New research also found that drivers were massively uneducated on how MOT tests are conducted and what they mean.

Even IF that were true, why would it matter?

It's like complaining that many drivers couldn't do a de-coke on the
cylinder head. Why on earth should they know how to do it?

You don't.

It's only important that mechanics and certified MOT testers know it.

> Almost one-fifth of drivers were under the impression that an MOT was dependent on mileage, while a further 16 percent thought an MOT was required only every two to four years.

There WAS a proposal a few years ago to reduce the frequency to two
years, so not quite as surprising as some might claim it to be.

> n addition to the threat of a £1,000 fine, drivers could also be hit with penalty points on their licence, which will stay on there for four years.

More typical May Sun nonsense.

Driving a motor vehicle without a current MOT certificate is not an
endorsement offence.

> With millions of drivers at risk of being fined for not having an MOT, the total amount of charges could total a massive £15.6billion.

Idiocy. May Sun variety.

> Limvirak Chea, co-founder and CEO of Fixter, stressed the importance of drivers knowing about their vehicles and when they need to take them to a certified MOT garage.
> He said: “Given how many in the UK rely on their car for daily trips, it’s shocking to see such a huge knowledge gap when it comes to keeping vehicles road safe.
> “What’s clear from our findings is that drivers need to be educated on the importance of MOTs and servicing, regardless of how many years they’ve been on the road.”
> Aside from an MOT test, drivers are encouraged to take their vehicles for a service when they think it is needed.
> Generally, vehicle providers advise motorists to take their vehicles to a garage every 12,000 miles or annually.

Indeed.

And to get the windscreen wipers fixed immediately when and if they stop
working.

> This will have a greater impact on motorists who are required to drive further distances or for longer periods of time, such as tradespeople or taxi drivers.

Erm... licenced taxis are not necessarily subject to the MOT test. They
have their own special test regime which was enacted many, many decades
before the MOT test was even thought of.

> The most common reasons for failing an MOT test include lighting and signalling issues, suspension problems and worn or damaged tyres.

A car belonging to this household failed the MOT test last month - "rear
suspension arm" - a cautionary fail. It cost me about £170 for the test,
some minor adjustments I had requested and a new suspension arm,
supplied and fitted. A fair price, I thought.

But could I have done it myself?

I certainly could not. My working like was concerned with ideas and
concepts, not oil-covered metal. I am not embarrassed to say so, though
I have done a couple of cylinder head de-cokes (in the distant past).

> Earlier this year, the Government consulted on measures to make MOTs “fit for the future”, which included changing the date at which the first MOT for light vehicles from three years to four years.

About time too.

> It was estimated that this could help motorists save around £100million a year if the proposals are brought forward.
> The consultation also looked at whether electric car batteries should be tested to improve safety, new measures to tackle loud engines and look into how the DVSA could crack down on MOT fraud.
> https://www.gbnews.com/lifestyle/cars/drivers-urgent-warning-mot-fines-risk

Interesting point about car batteries.

Those electric vehicles are death traps, especially if parked in a
home's integral garage.

Give me the safe fuel - diesel or petrol - any day.

Now... what does GB News say about chav-bikes?

Re: Drivers issued urgent warning of huge £1,000 MOT fine with 15 million road users at risk

<9bf02bce-186e-4a27-a6c4-0260f08d28b5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35819&group=uk.rec.cycling#35819

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 10:03:55 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re:_Drivers_issued_urgent_warning_of_huge_£1,000_MO
T_fine_with_15_million_road_users_at_risk
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 18:03 UTC

QUOTE: The consultation also looked at whether electric car batteries should be tested to improve safety, new measures to tackle loud engines and look into how the DVSA could crack down on MOT fraud. ENDS

Surely the thick knuckledraggers that watch Farage and his far right swivels TRY and MAKE loud noises for their next "meet" at the local B+Q?