From: cl@isbd.net (Chris Green)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Mangetout pea varieties - looking for high climbing ones
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2024 10:28:16 +0000
 by: Chris Green - Sat, 24 Feb 2024 10:28 UTC

We're planning our coming season of sowing/planting vegetables and one
thing we want to repeat if we can is to grow some mangetout peas. We
want plants that will grow high up strings or stakes, we have lots of
space (several acres in total!) and quite a large fruit/veg cage to
put them in.

So, what varieties of mangetout peas grow high?

Also, what seed suppliers are recommended? This is for just basic
things like beans (broad, french and runner), peas (as above), salad
leaves, etc.

--
Chris Green
ยท

Re: Mangetout pea varieties - looking for high climbing ones

<usnigp$3osfb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3600&group=uk.rec.gardening#3600

From: nmm@wheeler.UUCP (Nick Maclaren)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 18:28:41 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Nick Maclaren - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 18:28 UTC

In article <0vsoak-uvup.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>, Chris Green <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
>We're planning our coming season of sowing/planting vegetables and one
>thing we want to repeat if we can is to grow some mangetout peas. We
>want plants that will grow high up strings or stakes, we have lots of
>space (several acres in total!) and quite a large fruit/veg cage to
>put them in.
>
>So, what varieties of mangetout peas grow high?
>
>Also, what seed suppliers are recommended? This is for just basic
>things like beans (broad, french and runner), peas (as above), salad
>leaves, etc.

I agree. It's a real pain getting non-dwarfed varieties. Sweetcorn
is (as far as I can tell) impossible, snap peas are almost so, and
even French beans are getting tricky. I use King's Seeds, D.T. Brown,
Growseeds, Realseeds and others. The first mainly for Franchi seeds,
which are getting increasingly tricky - a real pain, because their
packets are more often a reasonable size and the other large-packet
suppliers have almost all stopped or supply only in huge amounts.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.