Immigration is the sincerest form of flattery. -- Jack Paar

aus+uk / uk.rec.gardening / Re: Lawn protection

SubjectAuthor
* Lawn protectionChris J Dixon
+* Re: Lawn protectionJeff Gaines
|`- Re: Lawn protectionalan_m
+- Re: Lawn protectionTheo
+- Re: Lawn protectionThe Natural Philosopher
+- Re: Lawn protectionN_Cook
+- Re: Lawn protectionAndrew
+* Re: Lawn protectionFredxx
|`* Re: Lawn protectionChris J Dixon
| `* Re: Lawn protectionalan_m
|  `* Re: Lawn protectionThe Natural Philosopher
|   +- Re: Lawn protectionalan_m
|   `- Re: Lawn protectionwasbit
`* Re: Lawn protectionAdam Funk
 `* Re: Lawn protectionChris J Dixon
  `- Re: Lawn protectionAdam Funk

1
Lawn protection

<jmeouih5scbrnlf0q9jf8f9b6h4n288a3n@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3589&group=uk.rec.gardening#3589

From: chris@cdixon.me.uk (Chris J Dixon)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y
Subject: Lawn protection
Date: Sat, 09 Mar 2024 10:39:39 +0000
 by: Chris J Dixon - Sat, 9 Mar 2024 10:39 UTC

About 1 sq metre of my lawn gets a bit trodden down during wet
periods as I step onto it to reach the rest of the garden.

I was thinking that a piece of protective mesh could be laid on
top, for the grass to grow through, but this only appears to be
available in expensive full rolls.

Any suggestions? Does anywhere sell it by the metre?

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
chris@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1

Plant amazing Acers.

Re: Lawn protection

<xn0oj4947fsbmsw004@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3590&group=uk.rec.gardening#3590

From: jgnewsid@outlook.com (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Lawn protection
Date: 9 Mar 2024 11:17:18 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Sat, 9 Mar 2024 11:17 UTC

On 09/03/2024 in message <jmeouih5scbrnlf0q9jf8f9b6h4n288a3n@4ax.com>
Chris J Dixon wrote:

>About 1 sq metre of my lawn gets a bit trodden down during wet
>periods as I step onto it to reach the rest of the garden.
>
>I was thinking that a piece of protective mesh could be laid on
>top, for the grass to grow through, but this only appears to be
>available in expensive full rolls.
>
>Any suggestions? Does anywhere sell it by the metre?
>
>Chris

Something like this:

https://roofin.co.uk/shop/ground-reinforcement-system-1m2-pack-green/?gad_source=1

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
All things being equal, fat people use more soap

Re: Lawn protection

<csD*knXEz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3591&group=uk.rec.gardening#3591

From: theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y
Date: 09 Mar 2024 11:51:06 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Theo - Sat, 9 Mar 2024 11:51 UTC

In uk.d-i-y Chris J Dixon <chris@cdixon.me.uk> wrote:
> About 1 sq metre of my lawn gets a bit trodden down during wet
> periods as I step onto it to reach the rest of the garden.
>
> I was thinking that a piece of protective mesh could be laid on
> top, for the grass to grow through, but this only appears to be
> available in expensive full rolls.
>
> Any suggestions? Does anywhere sell it by the metre?

Can't speak for this in particular, but ebay is often the place to buy
things in small quantities - either cut to length or the offcut at the end
of the roll.

It probably works better for things that are feasible to post though.
(I'd guess if you can order a full roll they can post 1m rolled up?)

Theo

Re: Lawn protection

<l535ciF1pidU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3592&group=uk.rec.gardening#3592

From: junk@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2024 13:09:38 +0000
 by: alan_m - Sat, 9 Mar 2024 13:09 UTC

On 09/03/2024 11:17, Jeff Gaines wrote:
> On 09/03/2024 in message <jmeouih5scbrnlf0q9jf8f9b6h4n288a3n@4ax.com>
> Chris J Dixon wrote:
>
>> About 1 sq metre of my lawn gets a bit trodden down during wet
>> periods as I step onto it to reach the rest of the garden.
>>
>> I was thinking that a piece of protective mesh could be laid on
>> top, for the grass to grow through, but this only appears to be
>> available in expensive full rolls.
>>
>> Any suggestions? Does anywhere sell it by the metre?
>>
>> Chris
>
> Something like this:
>
> https://roofin.co.uk/shop/ground-reinforcement-system-1m2-pack-green/?gad_source=1

Similar sold for shed bases - the voids are filled with gravel to level
off and allow drainage.

In the OPs case sink it into the ground and let the grass grow through.

Re: Lawn protection

<ushner$2b358$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3593&group=uk.rec.gardening#3593

From: tnp@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2024 13:16:11 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Sat, 9 Mar 2024 13:16 UTC

On 09/03/2024 10:39, Chris J Dixon wrote:
> About 1 sq metre of my lawn gets a bit trodden down during wet
> periods as I step onto it to reach the rest of the garden.
>
> I was thinking that a piece of protective mesh could be laid on
> top, for the grass to grow through, but this only appears to be
> available in expensive full rolls.

What I have used is road base (MOT type 1). If its really wet, simply
lay down limestone and roll it into the ground, or if its drier remove
turf, smack some porous material into the ground and then refit the turf
a few inches higher.
It has been unbelievably wet this late-winter.

https://www.scotts-supplies.co.uk/product/type-1-mot/

Ultimately the MOT does the load bearing part but he gross grows over
and between it to provide a green path

--
“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the
other is to refuse to believe what is true.”

—Soren Kierkegaard

Re: Lawn protection

<uskm56$31v13$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3594&group=uk.rec.gardening#3594

From: diverse@tcp.co.uk (N_Cook)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2024 16:12:28 +0000
 by: N_Cook - Sun, 10 Mar 2024 16:12 UTC

On 09/03/2024 10:39, Chris J Dixon wrote:
> About 1 sq metre of my lawn gets a bit trodden down during wet
> periods as I step onto it to reach the rest of the garden.
>
> I was thinking that a piece of protective mesh could be laid on
> top, for the grass to grow through, but this only appears to be
> available in expensive full rolls.
>
> Any suggestions? Does anywhere sell it by the metre?
>
> Chris

A few of those holey black rubbery doormats laid together?
trodden in when very wet

--
Global sea level rise to 2100 from curve-fitted existing altimetry data
<http://diverse.4mg.com/slr.htm>

Re: Lawn protection

<usmp0d$3irni$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3595&group=uk.rec.gardening#3595

From: Andrew97d@btinternet.com (Andrew)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 11:13:16 +0000
 by: Andrew - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 11:13 UTC

On 09/03/2024 10:39, Chris J Dixon wrote:
> About 1 sq metre of my lawn gets a bit trodden down during wet
> periods as I step onto it to reach the rest of the garden.
>
> I was thinking that a piece of protective mesh could be laid on
> top, for the grass to grow through, but this only appears to be
> available in expensive full rolls.
>
> Any suggestions? Does anywhere sell it by the metre?
>
> Chris

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/1156302573/keep-off-the-grass-sign-plaque-acrylic

:-)

Re: Lawn protection

<usn0p0$3kkpt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3596&group=uk.rec.gardening#3596

From: fredxx@spam.invalid (Fredxx)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 13:25:52 +0000
 by: Fredxx - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 13:25 UTC

On 09/03/2024 10:39, Chris J Dixon wrote:
> About 1 sq metre of my lawn gets a bit trodden down during wet
> periods as I step onto it to reach the rest of the garden.
>
> I was thinking that a piece of protective mesh could be laid on
> top, for the grass to grow through, but this only appears to be
> available in expensive full rolls.
>
> Any suggestions? Does anywhere sell it by the metre?

I don't see how any mesh is going to help?

Some ideas:
https://www.pavingexpert.com/grasspav

I rather like the idea of coping with traffic and yet will look green.
You can mow over these solutions.

Re: Lawn protection

<b84uui50i4v4c3jldhdubhoplus9641vq5@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3597&group=uk.rec.gardening#3597

From: chris@cdixon.me.uk (Chris J Dixon)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 14:19:07 +0000
 by: Chris J Dixon - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 14:19 UTC

Fredxx wrote:

>On 09/03/2024 10:39, Chris J Dixon wrote:
>> About 1 sq metre of my lawn gets a bit trodden down during wet
>> periods as I step onto it to reach the rest of the garden.
>>
>> I was thinking that a piece of protective mesh could be laid on
>> top, for the grass to grow through, but this only appears to be
>> available in expensive full rolls.
>>
>> Any suggestions? Does anywhere sell it by the metre?
>
>I don't see how any mesh is going to help?
>
>Some ideas:
> https://www.pavingexpert.com/grasspav
>
>I rather like the idea of coping with traffic and yet will look green.
>You can mow over these solutions.

Well, mesh can indeed help, when it is only light foot traffic -
I don't want to park my car on it.

The very link you have suggested includes:

"Mesh Protected Turf

This system is becoming quite popular with those responsible for
overspill car-parking and pedestrian usage at occasional events,
.... where the natural appearance of grass with the load-carrying
ability of a pavement, all at a minimal cost and with little or
no construction work required, is very appealing.

The basic premise is that a tough polypropylene or HDPE mesh is
laid over an area of turf or grass, and this allows foot-traffic,
low-speed cars and vans to use the area without completely
ruining the grass. ... The mesh works to protect the grass roots
from being damage, to minimise ' pumping ' of wet ground, and to
avoid rutting of soft spots.

For lawned areas, the mesh is simply rolled out over the
close-cropped turf, ... Once laid, they can be left in-situ for
the season, or even permanently, ... For areas with longer grass,
the meshes are placed after a mowing, and the grass is allowed to
grow up and through the mesh, hiding it from view, yet providing
sufficient stability to permit trafficking."

Which is very much what I would like to do. I have no intention
of lifting the existing lawn to bury a deep grid - it is overkill
in this situation.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
chris@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1

Plant amazing Acers.

Re: Lawn protection

<htg3ckx0q2.ln2@news.ducksburg.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3598&group=uk.rec.gardening#3598

From: a24061a@ducksburg.com (Adam Funk)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 14:26:25 +0000
 by: Adam Funk - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 14:26 UTC

On 2024-03-09, Chris J Dixon wrote:

> About 1 sq metre of my lawn gets a bit trodden down during wet
> periods as I step onto it to reach the rest of the garden.
>
> I was thinking that a piece of protective mesh could be laid on
> top, for the grass to grow through, but this only appears to be
> available in expensive full rolls.
>
> Any suggestions? Does anywhere sell it by the metre?
>
> Chris

I bought two of these for the muddy strip to the shed door:

<https://grassmats.co.uk/product/rubber-grass-mats-16mm/>

1.5 x 1 metre pieces; £20.40 each plus £10.00 for shipping.

Someone in uk.d-i-y provided a link to a different site that only had
the 22 mm version in stock, but once I knew I was looking for "rubber
grass mats" I found this one.

HTH

Re: Lawn protection

<l58r2mFsb1gU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3599&group=uk.rec.gardening#3599

From: junk@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 16:50:30 +0000
 by: alan_m - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 16:50 UTC

On 11/03/2024 14:19, Chris J Dixon wrote:

> Which is very much what I would like to do. I have no intention
> of lifting the existing lawn to bury a deep grid - it is overkill
> in this situation.

The potential problem with laying anything on the surface of a lawn is
subsequent mowing. Set the mower cut too low or if the ground is uneven
the mower will start cutting the mesh and possible pull it up.

Re: Lawn protection

<usnil7$3osld$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3601&group=uk.rec.gardening#3601

From: tnp@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 18:31:03 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 18:31 UTC

On 11/03/2024 16:50, alan_m wrote:
> On 11/03/2024 14:19, Chris J Dixon wrote:
>

>> Which is very much what I would like to do. I have no intention
>> of lifting the existing lawn to bury a deep grid - it is overkill
>> in this situation.
>
> The potential problem with laying anything on the surface of a lawn is
> subsequent mowing. Set the mower cut too low or if the ground is uneven
> the mower will start cutting the mesh and possible pull it up.

Hence my recommendation to dig up the surface layer. However when using
grow through grids, as long as you put some weight on then first they
will sink into the ground
--
“People believe certain stories because everyone important tells them,
and people tell those stories because everyone important believes them.

Paul Krugman

Re: Lawn protection

<l5941kFtm9kU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3602&group=uk.rec.gardening#3602

From: junk@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 19:23:32 +0000
 by: alan_m - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 19:23 UTC

> On 11/03/2024 16:50, alan_m wrote:
>> On 11/03/2024 14:19, Chris J Dixon wrote:
>>

>>> Which is very much what I would like to do. I have no intention
>>> of lifting the existing lawn to bury a deep grid - it is overkill
>>> in this situation.
>>
>> The potential problem with laying anything on the surface of a lawn is
>> subsequent mowing. Set the mower cut too low or if the ground is
>> uneven the mower will start cutting the mesh and possible pull it up.
>>
> Hence my recommendation to dig up the surface layer. However when using
> grow through grids, as long as you put some weight on then first they
> will sink into the ground

It indicates that it is suitable for occasional use. Is the way the OP
is walking over this piece of lawn considered "occasional"?

Re: Lawn protection

<uspa59$7sjs$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3603&group=uk.rec.gardening#3603

From: wasbit@nowhere.com (wasbit)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 10:18:16 +0000
 by: wasbit - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 10:18 UTC

> On 11/03/2024 16:50, alan_m wrote:
>> On 11/03/2024 14:19, Chris J Dixon wrote:
>>

>>> Which is very much what I would like to do. I have no intention
>>> of lifting the existing lawn to bury a deep grid - it is overkill
>>> in this situation.
>>
>> The potential problem with laying anything on the surface of a lawn is
>> subsequent mowing. Set the mower cut too low or if the ground is
>> uneven the mower will start cutting the mesh and possible pull it up.
>>
> Hence my recommendation to dig up the surface layer. However when using
> grow through grids, as long as you put some weight on then first they
> will sink into the ground

That depends on the ground. You wouldn't sink one into our brash without
first sieving to remove the stones.

--
Regards
wasbit

Re: Lawn protection

<kmi0vit6954nh7lcrgg67589e0ab991tqa@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3604&group=uk.rec.gardening#3604

From: chris@cdixon.me.uk (Chris J Dixon)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 12:33:53 +0000
 by: Chris J Dixon - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 12:33 UTC

Adam Funk wrote:

>I bought two of these for the muddy strip to the shed door:
>
><https://grassmats.co.uk/product/rubber-grass-mats-16mm/>
>
>1.5 x 1 metre pieces; £20.40 each plus £10.00 for shipping.
>
>Someone in uk.d-i-y provided a link to a different site that only had
>the 22 mm version in stock, but once I knew I was looking for "rubber
>grass mats" I found this one.

I have some mats like that for placing by the touring caravan
step when on grass. I have occasionally used it as temporary
protection in the troublesome area if I am to-and-fro in
particularly wet conditions.

I don't quite see it meeting my needs permanently.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
chris@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1

Plant amazing Acers.

Re: Lawn protection

<h066ckxcss.ln2@news.ducksburg.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3605&group=uk.rec.gardening#3605

From: a24061a@ducksburg.com (Adam Funk)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 14:38:41 +0000
 by: Adam Funk - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 14:38 UTC

On 2024-03-12, Chris J Dixon wrote:

> Adam Funk wrote:
>
>>I bought two of these for the muddy strip to the shed door:
>>
>><https://grassmats.co.uk/product/rubber-grass-mats-16mm/>
>>
>>1.5 x 1 metre pieces; £20.40 each plus £10.00 for shipping.
>>
>>Someone in uk.d-i-y provided a link to a different site that only had
>>the 22 mm version in stock, but once I knew I was looking for "rubber
>>grass mats" I found this one.
>
> I have some mats like that for placing by the touring caravan
> step when on grass. I have occasionally used it as temporary
> protection in the troublesome area if I am to-and-fro in
> particularly wet conditions.
>
> I don't quite see it meeting my needs permanently.

Fair point. I have one mat down all year (right in front of the shed
door) and another that I use for the colder half of the year, but I do
move them to mow (there's a ding in one corner that confirms this) and
I shift them around a little when I put them back.

This suits me and my lack of lawn enthusiasm, but it wouldn't work for
everyone.