One organism, one vote.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: NI drunk driver jailed in US over horror smash bribed motorist just hours before crash

SubjectAuthor
* NI drunk driver jailed in US over horror smash bribed motorist justSimon Mason
+- Re: NI drunk chav-cyclist (he had no valid licence or license) jailedJNugent
+* Re: NI drunk driver jailed in US over horror smash bribed motoristSimon Mason
|+* Re: NI drunk driver jailed in US over horror smash bribedSpike
||`- Re: NI drunk driver jailed in US over horror smash bribed motoristJNugent
|`* Re: NI drunk driver jailed in US over horror smash bribed motoristSimon Mason
| +- Re: NI drunk fully-unqualified chav-cyclist - all he was qualifiedJNugent
| `* Re: NI drunk driver jailed in US over horror smash bribed motoristSimon Mason
|  +- Re: NI drunk CHAV-CYCLIST (NOT a driver - no licence) jailed in USJNugent
|  `* Re: NI drunk driver jailed in US over horror smash bribed motoristSimon Mason
|   +- Re: NI drunk CHAV-CYCLIST (no UK licence and no USA state licence)JNugent
|   `* Re: NI drunk driver jailed in US over horror smash bribed motoristSimon Mason
|    `- Re: NI drunk CHAV-CYCLIST (no UK licence and no US license) jailed inJNugent
+* Re: NI drunk driver jailed in US over horror smash bribed motoristSimon Mason
|+- Re: NI drunk CHAV-CYCLIST (and nothing more than that, since heJNugent
|`* Re: NI drunk driver jailed in US over horror smash bribed motoristSimon Mason
| +- Re: NI drunk driver jailed in US over horror smash bribedSpike
| +* Re: NI drunk driver jailed in US over horror smash bribed motoristSimon Mason
| |+- Re: NI CHAV-CYCLIST, drunk, jailed in US over horror smash bribedJNugent
| |`* Re: NI drunk driver jailed in US over horror smash bribed motoristSimon Mason
| | +- Re: NI drunk driver jailed in US over horror smash bribedSpike
| | `* Re: NI drunk driver jailed in US over horror smash bribed motoristSimon Mason
| |  `- Re: NI drunk driver jailed in US over horror smash bribed motoristJNugent
| `- Re: NI drunk fully-unqualified CHAV-CYCLIST (and no more than that)JNugent
`* Re: NI drunk driver jailed in US over horror smash bribed motoristSimon Mason
 `- Re: NI drunk CHAV-CYCLIST (no driving licence from any jurisdiction)JNugent

Pages:12
Re: NI drunk driver jailed in US over horror smash bribed motorist just hours before crash

<ks4725Ftbg7U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=36058&group=uk.rec.cycling#36058

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: NI drunk driver jailed in US over horror smash bribed motorist
just hours before crash
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2023 17:17:57 +0000
 by: JNugent - Tue, 21 Nov 2023 17:17 UTC

On 21/11/2023 04:37 pm, Simon Mason wrote:
> SWIVEL: DNA evidence means we can start hanging people again.
>
> QUOTE: A Devon man wrongly accused of raping a woman in Manchester has spoken of his anger over a DNA mistake which led to the charge.
>
> Charges were dropped against the man when it emerged that a DNA sample was contaminated in the laboratories of Teddington-based LGC Forensics.
>
> The man also said he hoped that the real rapist would be caught.
>
> LGC Forensics said it deeply regretted that forensic evidence was contaminated in one of its laboratories.
> 'Justice for victim'
>
> The man, who was facing a trial accused of raping the woman at Plant Hill Park, Blackley, in October, said: "I am relieved that I have been found not guilty. But then I always was not guilty."
>
> He added: "I am angry that I was falsely accused. I am angry about the amount of pain it has put me and my family through.
>
> "I sincerely hope that justice comes for the victim and that the true rapist is caught."
>
> His solicitor Philippa Jeffries, who called for a public inquiry, said the man is considering legal action.
>
> She said: "It would appear our client's DNA was never present in the sample taken from the rape victim.
>
> "As such our client was never implicated in this offence until his DNA was introduced to the victim's sample whilst being processed at their laboratory in Teddington.
>
> "We remain fearful for any defendant indicted on DNA or other scientific evidence that has been processed, is being processed or will be processed through LGC's laboratory."
>
> Greater Manchester Police (GMP) is reviewing some cases in which the same company processed forensic evidence.
> 'Tragic incident'
>
> GMP Assistant Chief Constable Steve Heywood said when the man was arrested he was "absolutely adamant that he had never been to Manchester so that gave us some concern".
>
> Mr Heywood added: "We went back to the supplier who was absolutely adamant that this was not the case so we charged the man with Crown Prosecution Service support.
>
> "This week we were contacted by the supplier who said unfortunately the sample was contaminated."
>
> Mr Heywood said he believed this was "a tragic but isolated incident".
>
> A statement from LGC Forensics said: "LGC has already identified the cause of this contamination and has taken steps to ensure that it cannot happen again.
>
> "Our procedure for tracking, identifying and reporting potential contamination will be immediately reviewed and updated."
>
> The firm declined to reveal the circumstances surrounding the mistake. ENDS

Was he accused because he was on the chav-bike?