Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2023 02:56:29 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: I Will Personally See To It This Cyclist Gets A $30,000,000
Engineering Award
From: bretcahill@aol.com (Bret Cahill)
 by: Bret Cahill - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 10:56 UTC

> > Not that I always hated derailleurs but this is more proof that the O2 you get cycling helps you invent:
> >
> > https://arstechnica.com/cars/2023/11/automatic-bike-transmission-concept-is-wild-and-spiky-and-could-be-a-big-shift/
> >
> > Greatest invention since the safety bike which was the greatest invention since the wheel.

> Looks like a lot of parts could get bent out of shape if you drop it!

Strategically located sacrificial parts like derailleur hangers could help if that's an issue. Like a lot of stuff on the market it probably hasn't been optimized and refined from a rigorous comprehensive engineering POV.

The odds he inspires someone else to come up with a gear ratio that decreases with torque that's better and patentable over his are quite good. These awards need to consider the first guy in the field.

What gets me is there are a lot of new things that could have been done a century ago and were somehow overlooked. Every week they come out with a radically different wind turbine. Last week it was a vertical wing train that goes around a circular track and might not even fall under the definition of "turbine." We need a moratorium on wind farms until all these things can be vetted for cost, recyclability, etc. Every design cannot dominate the industry.

Whatever Einstein said about most science being unknown holds in spades for technology. That's the biggest hope but it's so willy nilly.