From: jeremy0505@gmail.com (jeremy)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Petrol Lawnmowers
Date: 19 Mar 2024 10:47:46 GMT
 by: jeremy - Tue, 19 Mar 2024 10:47 UTC

Had an old Hayter 41 - went in for its service this year, they said it needed
a new gearbox - total cost of service & the gearbox + associated parts around
400 incl VAT - they said they thought this remained economically viable (and I
did like the old mower). They then called me yesterday to say that once they'd
stripped the machine to do the gearbox they had found other problems - costs
spiralling - it's no longer viable :( - so it's RIP (and I owe them just £25).

So find myself launching into the world of buying a new machine. I would like
another petrol mower and I like the stripes so a roller is required.

I'm sorely tempted by one of the Hyundai models e.g.
https://hyundaipowerequipment.co.uk/hyundai-hym430spr-self-propelled-139cc-petrol-roller-lawn-mower

Just curious as to anyone here has experience of these or has other strong
"consider this" suggestions before I press the button.

cheers

--
jeremy

Re: Petrol Lawnmowers

<utbsoj$pv94$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3619&group=uk.rec.gardening#3619

From: tnp@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Re: Petrol Lawnmowers
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2024 11:26:11 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Tue, 19 Mar 2024 11:26 UTC

On 19/03/2024 10:47, jeremy wrote:
> Had an old Hayter 41 - went in for its service this year, they said it needed
> a new gearbox - total cost of service & the gearbox + associated parts around
> 400 incl VAT - they said they thought this remained economically viable (and I
> did like the old mower). They then called me yesterday to say that once they'd
> stripped the machine to do the gearbox they had found other problems - costs
> spiralling - it's no longer viable :( - so it's RIP (and I owe them just £25).
>
> So find myself launching into the world of buying a new machine. I would like
> another petrol mower and I like the stripes so a roller is required.

Roller isn't what makes the stripes. Its the one way cutting action of
the blades.

> I'm sorely tempted by one of the Hyundai models e.g.
> https://hyundaipowerequipment.co.uk/hyundai-hym430spr-self-propelled-139cc-petrol-roller-lawn-mower
>
> Just curious as to anyone here has experience of these or has other strong
> "consider this" suggestions before I press the button.

I'm all ride on here at Turnip Towers. No advice to give sadly. Except I
have a 20 year old Briggs and Stratton engine that has never had an oil
change, and it still starts first time

Crude American gas guzzling shit, but reliable.

> cheers

all women"

Re: Petrol Lawnmowers

<l9clb3Fi4pU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3667&group=uk.rec.gardening#3667

From: nothanks@aolbin.com
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2024 17:42:11 +0100
 by: nothanks@aolbin.com - Tue, 30 Apr 2024 16:42 UTC

> On 19/03/2024 10:47, jeremy wrote:
>> Had an old Hayter 41 - went in for its service this year, they said it
>> needed
>> a new gearbox - total cost of service & the gearbox + associated parts
>> around
>> 400 incl VAT - they said they thought this remained economically
>> viable (and I
>> did like the old mower). They then called me yesterday to say that
>> once they'd
>> stripped the machine to do the gearbox they had found other problems -
>> costs
>> spiralling - it's no longer viable :( - so it's RIP (and I owe them
>> just £25).
>>
>> So find myself launching into the world of buying a new machine. I
>> would like
>> another petrol mower and I like the stripes so a roller is required.
>
> Roller isn't what makes the stripes. Its the one way cutting action of
> the blades.
That seems unlikely when many striping mowers have several blades that
don't all rotate in the same direction. I think you'll find that it's
the roller laying the grass that creates the appearance of stripes.