List of locations for new traffic cameras being switched on in Liverpool today

<b6b7183a-4045-415a-99c6-496dee492e89n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=36245&group=uk.rec.cycling#36245

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2023 12:17:28 -0800 (PST)
Subject: List of locations for new traffic cameras being switched on in
Liverpool today
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Sun, 17 Dec 2023 20:17 UTC

New traffic cameras have been switched on in Liverpool today in a bid to crack down on those who commit driving offences.

The city council has installed the cameras to target drivers who flout certain road regulations, like driving through no entry signs or zones dedicated for buses and taxis.

Under the new powers, which will include the use of Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) cameras, those waiting too long at yellow box junctions, banned turns and misuse of bus gates could face a fixed penalty charge notice (PCN).

The council is turning the cameras on today (Monday November 20) to coincide with the start of Road Safety Week. Those found flouting the road regulations by these cameras could face fines of up to £70.

The first of the new cameras will be located along the stretch from Lime Street to London Road - where no vehicles except for buses, taxis and those with access needs should be travelling - other than to turn right out of the St Johns car park.

Another will target the area between Ranelagh Street and Brownlow Hill in a bid to stop drivers carrying out u-turns at Ranelagh Place.

As well as the above, the existing bus gate on Ranelagh Street will also benefit from the rollout of ANPR cameras which will allow more enforcement to take place.

Further ANPR cameras will become operational in mid-December at: Whitechapel Cross/Hall Street; New Quay/Chapel Street; St Annes Fire Station; and on The Strand at New Quay/George’s Dock Gates/St Nicholas Place/Chapel Street.

Cameras will also be in place at Lime Street between Skelhorne Street and St George’s Place to enforce the bus-only route. This route is currently barriered and is set to open in the New Year.

Two ‘school streets’ (for Greenbank Primary School and Much Woolton Primary School) will also see APNR cameras become operational in the New Year, at Arlington Avenue from Greenbank Road and Arlington Avenue from Nicander Road; Watergate Lane from Woodrock Road and Watergate Way from Priorsfield Road.

As part of Road Safety Week, members of the council’s Highways team will be visiting the city’s schools to raise awareness about the Highway Code. The team will be at Fazakerley Primary today and as part of their safety session will be helping pupils conduct Speed Surveys on Longmoor Lane.

Councillor Dan Barrington, Cabinet Member for Environment and Climate Change, said: “Road Safety is of paramount importance to the Council. Too many accidents occur on our roads for us to just sit back and do nothing. These new powers to enforce moving traffic contraventions just part of a wider programme to improve road safety across the city.

“These new APNR cameras will enable us to enforce the Highway Code and improve behaviours at key junctions, but we want to give people time to get used to these new rules which is why we are having a fine amnesty until the New Year.

“Our overall aim is to educate people to be more patient behind the wheel, and ideally encourage people to think twice about using the car at all. Most car journeys in the city are under 5km, many of which could be done by alternative methods.

“That’s why as a Council we’re supporting moves to improve public transport and why we’re investing millions of pounds in active travel infrastructure to make it easier and safer to walk and cycle more often.”

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/list-locations-new-traffic-cameras-28138100