Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2023 05:50:14 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Teenage cyclist seriously injured in 'hit and run'
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Tue, 19 Dec 2023 13:50 UTC

A TEENAGE boy is fighting for his life in hospital after he was involved in a crash on his bicycle with a car.

The boy, aged 14, was cycling along Knighton Heath Road, close to the junction with High Howe Lane, in East Howe on Monday evening at around 7.30pm.

Police say he was involved in a crash with a silver Volvo, which reportedly fled the scene.

He has suffered “very serious” injuries and was rushed to Southampton General Hospital.

His family has been made aware.

A 59-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of driving offences, although Dorset Police would not clarify further.

South Western Ambulance Service scrambled two air ambulances to the scene along with two double-crewed land ambulances, an operations officer and a doctor.

The next morning, residents were in shock to hear what had happened.

Bournemouth resident Elizabeth Leigh said: “It’s so sad to hear, it’s terrible, but sadly I don’t think it’s surprising.

“I often see cars come racing down the roads around here. I hope the boy pulls through.”

Meanwhile Claire added: “I didn’t see anything last night but a friend of mine told me it was very dramatic.

“To happen right before Christmas is such a shame for the family.”

Police sergeant Mike Gatfield, of the roads policing team, said: “We are carrying out enquiries to establish the full circumstances of this collision and I am appealing to any witnesses who have not already spoken to police to please get in touch.

“I would also like to hear from any motorists who were travelling in the area and may have captured anything of relevance on dashcam footage.

“Finally, I would like to thank the public for their patience and understanding while the road closures were in place. These were absolutely necessary to allow the emergency services to carry out their work.”

Anyone with information is asked to contact Dorset Police at www.dorset.police.uk, via email at scit@dorset.pnn.police.uk or by calling 101, quoting occurrence number 55230197962.

Alternatively, independent charity Crimestoppers can be contacted anonymously online at Crimestoppers-uk.org or by calling Freephone 0800 555 111.

A spokesperson for the South Western Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust said: “We were called at 7.30pm on Monday 18 December to a road traffic incident on High Howe Lane, Bournemouth.

"We sent two double-crewed land ambulances, an operations officer, a doctor, and two air ambulances.

"We conveyed one patient by land ambulance to Southampton General Hospital..”

https://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/23999150.teenage-cyclist-seriously-injured-hit-run/