From: aero.spike@mail.com (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: [Cycling] NZ grinches cycling infra
Date: 19 Dec 2023 13:22:04 GMT
 by: Spike - Tue, 19 Dec 2023 13:22 UTC

Cycling group slams "embarrassing" halting of "best bang for buck
investment in transport" as New Zealand minister orders pause on cycling
schemes

Simeon Brown has claimed the projects, which involve investing in cycling
and walking infrastructure, are "unnecessary" and "wasting taxpayers'
money"...

by DAN ALEXANDER
MON, DEC 18, 2023 17:08

Cycling campaigners in New Zealand have condemned the country's transport
minister's decision to halt local councils' active travel projects.

Simeon Brown, representing the National Party, wrote to councils to
announce he is stopping work on active travel projects, RNZ (link is
external) reports, the transport minister telling local authorities that
the plans are "completely unnecessary" and are "wasting taxpayers' money".

"I understand that some local authorities have been developing programmes
with NZTA and other stakeholders to reduce vehicle kilometres travelled
(VKT) by the light vehicle fleet, using funding from the Climate Emergency
Response Fund," he wrote.

"I have given notice to NZTA to end its work on these programmes, and to
not commit any further funding to local authorities (beyond existing
contractual obligations) to develop these programmes. Thank you for your
understanding as we work through these changes."

In a later statement he added the colour to his earlier letter and claimed
his aim is "to build and maintain the roading network", rather than invest
money into "completely unnecessary" programmes.

"The VKT reduction plans which were under development were typical of the
previous government's approach to transport, wasting taxpayers' money on
endless reports, rather than investing in the infrastructure we need," he
said.

"My priority in transport is to build and maintain the roading network so
that we can have a safe, efficient and productive transport network which
helps Kiwis get where they need to go, quickly and safely. This is
different to the previous government's approach. These programmes are
therefore completely unnecessary."

Full story at
<https://road.cc/content/news/new-zealand-minister-orders-halt-cycling-schemes-305725#block-node-comment-block-node-comments>

--
Spike

Re: [Cycling] NZ grinches cycling infra

<kudljrF93c0U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=36313&group=uk.rec.cycling#36313

From: aero.spike@mail.com (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: [Cycling] NZ grinches cycling infra
Date: 19 Dec 2023 13:54:03 GMT
 by: Spike - Tue, 19 Dec 2023 13:54 UTC

Spike <aero.spike@mail.com> wrote:

> Cycling group slams "embarrassing" halting of "best bang for buck
> investment in transport" as New Zealand minister orders pause on cycling
> schemes
>
> Simeon Brown has claimed the projects, which involve investing in cycling
> and walking infrastructure, are "unnecessary" and "wasting taxpayers'
> money"...
>
> by DAN ALEXANDER
> MON, DEC 18, 2023 17:08
>
> Cycling campaigners in New Zealand have condemned the country's transport
> minister's decision to halt local councils' active travel projects.
>
> Simeon Brown, representing the National Party, wrote to councils to
> announce he is stopping work on active travel projects, RNZ (link is
> external) reports, the transport minister telling local authorities that
> the plans are "completely unnecessary" and are "wasting taxpayers' money".
>
> "I understand that some local authorities have been developing programmes
> with NZTA and other stakeholders to reduce vehicle kilometres travelled
> (VKT) by the light vehicle fleet, using funding from the Climate Emergency
> Response Fund," he wrote.
>
> "I have given notice to NZTA to end its work on these programmes, and to
> not commit any further funding to local authorities (beyond existing
> contractual obligations) to develop these programmes. Thank you for your
> understanding as we work through these changes."
>
> In a later statement he added the colour to his earlier letter and claimed
> his aim is "to build and maintain the roading network", rather than invest
> money into "completely unnecessary" programmes.
>
> "The VKT reduction plans which were under development were typical of the
> previous government's approach to transport, wasting taxpayers' money on
> endless reports, rather than investing in the infrastructure we need," he
> said.
>
> "My priority in transport is to build and maintain the roading network so
> that we can have a safe, efficient and productive transport network which
> helps Kiwis get where they need to go, quickly and safely. This is
> different to the previous government's approach. These programmes are
> therefore completely unnecessary."
>
> Full story at
> <https://road.cc/content/news/new-zealand-minister-orders-halt-cycling-schemes-305725#block-node-comment-block-node-comments>

And the searingly thoughtful comments so far:

3 comments

eburtthebike | 5 hours ago
6 likes
Simeon Brown has claimed the projects, which involve investing in cycling
and walking infrastructure, are "unnecessary" and "wasting taxpayers'
money"...

Well, I can think of something that isn't necessary and is a waste of
taxpayers' money Simeon: just look in the mirror.

Log In or Register to post comments
jaymack replied to eburtthebike | 3 hours ago
3 likes
You're assuming that he has a reflection....

Log In or Register to post comments
hawkinspeter replied to jaymack | 1 hour ago
0 likes
jaymack wrote:
You're assuming that he has a reflection....

--
Spike

Re: [Cycling] NZ grinches cycling infra

<kue1d4FbrltU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=36325&group=uk.rec.cycling#36325

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2023 17:15:16 +0000
 by: JNugent - Tue, 19 Dec 2023 17:15 UTC

On 19/12/2023 01:54 pm, Spike wrote:
> [...]
>
> And the searingly thoughtful comments so far:
>
> 3 comments

> eburtthebike | 5 hours ago
> 6 likes
> Simeon Brown has claimed the projects, which involve investing in cycling
> and walking infrastructure, are "unnecessary" and "wasting taxpayers'
> money"...
>
> Well, I can think of something that isn't necessary and is a waste of
> taxpayers' money Simeon: just look in the mirror.
>
> Log In or Register to post comments
> jaymack replied to eburtthebike | 3 hours ago
> 3 likes
> You're assuming that he has a reflection....
>
> Log In or Register to post comments
> hawkinspeter replied to jaymack | 1 hour ago
> 0 likes
> jaymack wrote:
> You're assuming that he has a reflection....

Is that REALLY what self-important pseudo-intellectuals (who are all
apparently Considerably Richer Than Yow) "think"?