You are destined to become the commandant of the fighting men of the department of transportation.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Study finds drivers who cycle or understand recommended cyclist road positioning are less likely to blame bicycle riders for close passes

SubjectAuthor
* Study finds drivers who cycle or understand recommended cyclist roadSimon Mason
+- Re: Study finds drivers who ride chav-cycles or understandJNugent
`* Re: Study finds drivers who cycle or understand recommended cyclistSimon Mason
 +- Frustrated May Sun becomes a potty-moth...JNugent
 `- Re: Study finds drivers who cycle or understand recommended cyclistSimon Mason

1
Study finds drivers who cycle or understand recommended cyclist road positioning are less likely to blame bicycle riders for close passes

<998702d7-5c21-4d7a-95d3-286858ee2edfn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=36314&group=uk.rec.cycling#36314

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2023 05:54:51 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Study finds drivers who cycle or understand recommended cyclist road
positioning are less likely to blame bicycle riders for close passes
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Tue, 19 Dec 2023 13:54 UTC

A newly published study has examined how drivers view close passes on cyclists, researchers looking into the effect of cycling experience, knowledge of recommended cyclist road positioning, and a driver's tendency to express anger behind the wheel on the way an individual perceives close pass incidents.

The academic research comes from Anglia Ruskin University's Centre for Sport and Exercise Science, and School of Psychology and Sport Science, and has been published in January 2024's volume of 'Transportation Research Part F: Traffic Psychology and Behaviour' (link is external).

The paper — the work of William Cubbin, Kjell van Paridon, Helen Keyes and Matthew Timmis — titled 'Close passes caught on camera – How knowledge and behavioural norms relate to perceptions of liability when cars overtake cyclists' (link is external), examines responses from a sample of 239 UK drivers when shown eight video clips of close pass incidents submitted by cyclists as driving complaints to Essex Police in 2020. (Please note images used in this story are for illustration purposes only and do not show footage used in the study).

Researchers recorded the survey participants' "road use habits", including their self-defined identity on a driver-cyclist spectrum, and knowledge of recommended practice for bicycle positioning. It also identified a 'Driver Anger eXpression' (DAX) for each participant, essentially noting tendencies towards different forms of anger expression when driving, including those who use vehicle manoeuvres to express anger (such as through punishment passes).

The study found that drivers who were not cyclists apportioned greater liability to cyclists seen being close passed in the video footage. Furthermore, participants whose 'vehicleDAX' score (rating tendency to use vehicle manoeuvres to express anger when driving) was greater were less likely to agree that the close passes shown were dangerous.

Similarly, drivers with greater knowledge of recommended cyclist road positioning apportioned lower levels of liability to the cyclists being close passed than those drivers with less knowledge, suggesting that greater communication of the Highway Code and recommended safe practice for cyclists could improve drivers' attitudes on close passes.

"This is the first time that naturalistic footage reported by cyclists to police has been used to examine differing perceptions of the same close pass event," the researchers explained. "Findings show a need to share knowledge about cycling practice in order to help drivers navigate cycle traffic safely and considerately. This can inform road safety interventions that can contribute to safer cycling and driver behaviours that are more welcoming to existing and potential cyclists.

"The data shows that drivers who do not also ride a pedal cycle will apportion more liability to a cyclist reporting a close pass, than drivers who also cycle themselves. It also shows that drivers with a stronger tendency for expressing anger through vehicle manoeuvres will view close pass incidents as being of lower risk and attribute more liability to the cyclist, compared to the views of other drivers.

"Finally it has shown that better knowledge of recommended cyclist road positioning is a mediating factor that reduces the level of liability apportioned by drivers to cyclists who experience a close pass."

Of the 293 participants, 68 per cent were male and 32 per cent female. 15 per cent identified themselves as never cycling, while 7.5 per cent said they never drive. 49 per cent were 'more driver than cyclist'.

From a longlist of 85 close pass clips sent to Essex Police in 2020, the videos selected all showed a cyclist riding in accordance with the Highway Code who was passed by the driver of a motor vehicle from behind, and "represented a range of road widths, lateral clearances given by the motor vehicle and both presence and absence of temporary narrowing".

Participants were asked to rate pass severity via a five-point scale from 'strongly agree' to 'strongly disagree' in response to the statement "the incident was dangerous".

A similar three-part section examined opinions on liability of the cyclist and driver in each clip, while a 49-item questionnaire (Deffenbacher et al. 2002 (link is external)) was used to score tendency of participants towards different forms of anger expression when driving.

Information about driving experience, cycling experience, road user identity, and cycling knowledge were also noted for each participant.

The researchers concluded the findings support the hypothesis that "drivers who also ride a pedal cycle frequently or identify as cyclists will apportion less responsibility to a cyclist reporting a close pass, than drivers who do not cycle themselves".

"Further work is recommended to examine driver opinions of cyclist legitimacy in different road environments and different carriageway positions," the paper states.

"Drivers who also ride a bicycle attributed lower liability to the cyclist in close pass scenarios than drivers who do not also cycle themselves. This study adds further insight into components of this in-group bias, in particular that a shared sense of identity is not the only factor predicting lower liability attributed to cyclists.

"There appears to be a knowledge component to this relationship with 13.9 per cent of the variation in the measure for cyclist liability being predicted by variation in scores on the cycling position knowledge questions.

"This knowledge may frame the drivers' prior assumptions about cyclist behaviour in a positive way, helping them understand why a cyclist adopts a certain carriageway position or is in the road in the first place, thus reducing any tendency to suppose that the cyclist is subverting an expected norm or acting in a selfish or arrogant way."

https://road.cc/content/news/study-looks-drivers-attitudes-cyclist-close-passes-305737

Re: Study finds drivers who ride chav-cycles or understand recommended chav-cyclist road positioning are less likely to blame chav-bicycle riders for close passes

<kue1a1FbrltU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=36324&group=uk.rec.cycling#36324

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Study finds drivers who ride chav-cycles or understand
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2023 17:13:36 +0000
 by: JNugent - Tue, 19 Dec 2023 17:13 UTC

On 19/12/2023 01:54 pm, Simon Mason wrote:

"...[chav] cyclists ... subverting an expected norm or acting in a
selfish or arrogant way."

> https://road.cc/content/news/study-looks-drivers-attitudes-cyclist-close-passes-305737

Excellent perspective.

Re: Study finds drivers who cycle or understand recommended cyclist road positioning are less likely to blame bicycle riders for close passes

<b3e98a6a-e694-4b87-8afa-c3ddd40c7cf1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=36328&group=uk.rec.cycling#36328

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2023 09:28:12 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Study finds drivers who cycle or understand recommended cyclist
road positioning are less likely to blame bicycle riders for close passes
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Tue, 19 Dec 2023 17:28 UTC

mctrials23 | 3 hours ago
12 likes
Pro tip for all drivers...if you close pass a cyclist, its never their fault. There is no blame to apportion. Not even a little. The only time its their fault is if they see you and swerve out to try and hit you. which lets be fair, never happens.

Oh and your shitty view that cyclists shouldn't be on the road doesn't apportion blame on them, that just makes you a fuckwit.

Frustrated May Sun becomes a potty-moth...

<kue2g4Fc1chU4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=36333&group=uk.rec.cycling#36333

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Frustrated May Sun becomes a potty-moth...
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2023 17:33:56 +0000
 by: JNugent - Tue, 19 Dec 2023 17:33 UTC

On 19/12/2023 05:28 pm, Simon Mason wrote:

> mctrials23 | 3 hours ago
> 12 likes
>
> Pro tip for all drivers...if you close pass a cyclist, its never their fault. There is no blame to apportion. Not even a little. The only time its their fault is if they see you and swerve out to try and hit you. which lets be fair, never happens.
>
> Oh and your shitty view that cyclists shouldn't be on the road doesn't apportion blame on them, that just makes you a fuckwit.

Oh dear...

Stamp your foot. It won't make you feel better, but it'll make you look
even funnier.

Re: Study finds drivers who cycle or understand recommended cyclist road positioning are less likely to blame bicycle riders for close passes

<79c91574-9c6a-4646-8024-6517947962ccn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=36336&group=uk.rec.cycling#36336

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2023 10:36:34 -0800 (PST)
road positioning are less likely to blame bicycle riders for close passes
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Tue, 19 Dec 2023 18:36 UTC

mctrials23 replied to Rendel Harris | 2 hours ago
5 likes
Thats the very reason for the 150cm gap though. If you are leaving a cyclist 150cm then they would have to have an absolute whopper of a wobble to make it dangerous and at that point its not a close pass. A close pass is when a driver doesn't leave you enough space through their choices.

Thats the whole point of safe overtaking. You are making sure that nothing you do is contributing to making the situation more dangerous for the cyclist and increasing the margin of error for any actions they take out of the blue.

I don't think any cyclist would claim a "close pass" if a driver gives you loads of room and the cyclist swerves hugely and closes that gap.