From: aero.spike@mail.com (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: [Cycling] road.cc: Brexit in Dorset
Date: 21 Dec 2023 10:16:06 GMT
 by: Spike - Thu, 21 Dec 2023 10:16 UTC

Brexit Britain unable to afford basic public services

by DAVID9694
WED, DEC 20, 2023 18:37

No more lollipop ladies, close paddling pools and turning off streetlights:
How budget cutting BCP Council proposes to save millions

This will be coming to your area in one shape or another. A few items
below, with more in the pipeline as they still have a £12m gap.

No America trade deal. Still, I was reading, a possibility of an India deal
next year, which will fix everything.

Community Safety Accreditation Scheme (Save £270,000) – They aim to remove
community safety officers from Poole Town Centre, Christchurch Town Centre
and Boscombe.

Monitoring CCTV (Save £49,000) – Reduce live monitoring of the cameras by
15-30 per cent and to seek support from partner agencies to fund the
service. This could mean cameras will no longer be watched by staff at
off-peak times.
..
Switching off street lighting (Save £68,000) - Turn off streetlights after
midnight to 6am on quieter residential roads within the Poole area.

School Crossing Patrol (Save £12,000) - Remove school crossing patrols from
locations that have existing crossing facilities and remove school crossing
patrols from locations that, following a survey, do not meet the threshold
for a patrol.

<https://road.cc/content/forum/brexit-britain-unable-afford-basic-public-services-305771>

--
Spike

Re: [Cycling] road.cc: Brexit in Dorset

<kuj06oFdrc5U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=36371&group=uk.rec.cycling#36371

From: aero.spike@mail.com (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: [Cycling] road.cc: Brexit in Dorset
Date: 21 Dec 2023 14:25:28 GMT
 by: Spike - Thu, 21 Dec 2023 14:25 UTC

Spike <aero.spike@mail.com> wrote:

> Brexit Britain unable to afford basic public services
>
> by DAVID9694
> WED, DEC 20, 2023 18:37
>
> No more lollipop ladies, close paddling pools and turning off streetlights:
> How budget cutting BCP Council proposes to save millions
>
> This will be coming to your area in one shape or another. A few items
> below, with more in the pipeline as they still have a £12m gap.

[…]

> <https://road.cc/content/forum/brexit-britain-unable-afford-basic-public-services-305771>

1 comments

jaymack
3 likes
The local MP is Sir Robert Syms, Conservative. He and his cohorts are to
blame not as they'd wish you to believe the wokarati, the LBGT community or
those arriving on small boats. Use your votes wisely at the next election
and vote tactically to get these awful people away from the levers of
power.

--
Spike

Re: [Cycling] road.cc: Brexit in Dorset

<kuj0knFdsb4U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=36372&group=uk.rec.cycling#36372

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2023 14:32:54 +0000
 by: JNugent - Thu, 21 Dec 2023 14:32 UTC

On 21/12/2023 10:16 am, Spike wrote:

> Brexit Britain unable to afford basic public services
>
> by DAVID9694
> WED, DEC 20, 2023 18:37
>
> No more lollipop ladies, close paddling pools and turning off streetlights:
> How budget cutting BCP Council proposes to save millions
>
> This will be coming to your area in one shape or another. A few items
> below, with more in the pipeline as they still have a £12m gap.
>
> No America trade deal. Still, I was reading, a possibility of an India deal
> next year, which will fix everything.
>
> Community Safety Accreditation Scheme (Save £270,000) – They aim to remove
> community safety officers from Poole Town Centre, Christchurch Town Centre
> and Boscombe.
>
> Monitoring CCTV (Save £49,000) – Reduce live monitoring of the cameras by
> 15-30 per cent and to seek support from partner agencies to fund the
> service. This could mean cameras will no longer be watched by staff at
> off-peak times.
> .
> Switching off street lighting (Save £68,000) - Turn off streetlights after
> midnight to 6am on quieter residential roads within the Poole area.
>
> School Crossing Patrol (Save £12,000) - Remove school crossing patrols from
> locations that have existing crossing facilities and remove school crossing
> patrols from locations that, following a survey, do not meet the threshold
> for a patrol.
>
> <https://road.cc/content/forum/brexit-britain-unable-afford-basic-public-services-305771>

Britain is *easily* able to afford all those things. The available money
is, though, being largely wasted on other things no-one has asked for.

And it cannot be spent twice.

Re: [Cycling] road.cc: Brexit in Dorset

<kuj1ttFe5psU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=36376&group=uk.rec.cycling#36376

From: aero.spike@mail.com (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 21 Dec 2023 14:54:53 GMT
 by: Spike - Thu, 21 Dec 2023 14:54 UTC

JNugent <jnugent@mail.com> wrote:
> On 21/12/2023 10:16 am, Spike wrote:
>>
>> Brexit Britain unable to afford basic public services
>>
>> by DAVID9694
>> WED, DEC 20, 2023 18:37
>>
>> No more lollipop ladies, close paddling pools and turning off streetlights:
>> How budget cutting BCP Council proposes to save millions
>>
>> This will be coming to your area in one shape or another. A few items
>> below, with more in the pipeline as they still have a £12m gap.
>>
>> No America trade deal. Still, I was reading, a possibility of an India deal
>> next year, which will fix everything.
>>
>> Community Safety Accreditation Scheme (Save £270,000) – They aim to remove
>> community safety officers from Poole Town Centre, Christchurch Town Centre
>> and Boscombe.
>>
>> Monitoring CCTV (Save £49,000) – Reduce live monitoring of the cameras by
>> 15-30 per cent and to seek support from partner agencies to fund the
>> service. This could mean cameras will no longer be watched by staff at
>> off-peak times.
>> .
>> Switching off street lighting (Save £68,000) - Turn off streetlights after
>> midnight to 6am on quieter residential roads within the Poole area.
>>
>> School Crossing Patrol (Save £12,000) - Remove school crossing patrols from
>> locations that have existing crossing facilities and remove school crossing
>> patrols from locations that, following a survey, do not meet the threshold
>> for a patrol.
>>
>> <https://road.cc/content/forum/brexit-britain-unable-afford-basic-public-services-305771>
>
> Britain is *easily* able to afford all those things. The available money
> is, though, being largely wasted on other things no-one has asked for.
>
> And it cannot be spent twice.

The readers of road.cc clearly never spotted the extrapolation from
‘Dorset’ to ‘Britain’ even before the article started!

--
Spike