I never said all Democrats were saloonkeepers; what I said was all saloonkeepers were Democrats.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Drug driver jailed following fatal RTC on A350 at Yarnbrook

SubjectAuthor
* Drug driver jailed following fatal RTC on A350 at YarnbrookSimon Mason
+- Re: Drug driver jailed following fatal RTC on A350 at YarnbrookJNugent
`- Re: Drug driver jailed following fatal RTC on A350 at YarnbrookSimon Mason

1
Drug driver jailed following fatal RTC on A350 at Yarnbrook

<2ba897c6-a579-4267-80f4-056d6940df32n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=36367&group=uk.rec.cycling#36367

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2023 03:43:29 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Drug driver jailed following fatal RTC on A350 at Yarnbrook
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Thu, 21 Dec 2023 11:43 UTC

A drug driver has been jailed for nine years after causing a fatal collision on the A350 in April 2022.

Ben Clough, 31, of Sambourne Gardens, Warminster, appeared at Salisbury Crown Court on Thursday (14/12) after pleading guilty to causing death by careless driving when under the influence of drink or drugs.

On April 4, 2022, Clough was driving along the A350 Yarnbrook in a Range Rover when he crossed the central white lines, colliding head on with a Nissan X-Trail being driven by 69-year-old Robert Godfrey.

Sadly, Robert, from Westbury, died at the scene.

Clough was breath tested and drug tested, returning a positive drug wipe for cocaine, and was subsequently arrested.

Community road safety officer PC Charlotte Sartin said: “Firstly, I’d like to pay tribute to Robert’s family for their courage and bravery throughout this ordeal.

“On April 4 last year, Clough put many people’s lives at risk by choosing to get behind the wheel while under the influence of cocaine..

“Unfortunately, his actions led to the death of Robert.

“Not only that, in February this year while on release under investigation before a charge was authorised by the CPS, Clough was stopped by officers again under the influence of cocaine.

“Clough’s incredibly reckless and dangerous actions had already led to the death of Robert and it’s shocking to think he willingly chose to drive while under the influence of drugs again.

“Nothing can bring Robert back but hopefully this lengthy sentence will bring his family some closure and lead Clough to reflect on his actions.”

We are running our Drink/Drug Drive campaign for the entire month of December which sees officers carrying out early morning and late night vehicle checks, targeting individuals who appear over the limit or under the influence of illegal drugs.

Our message is simple: Don't risk it.

https://www.wiltshire.police.uk/news/wiltshire/news/2023/december-2023/drug-driver-jailed-following-fatal-rtc-on-a350-at-yarnbrook/

Re: Drug driver jailed following fatal RTC on A350 at Yarnbrook

<kuj15gFe02pU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=36375&group=uk.rec.cycling#36375

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2023 14:41:52 +0000
 by: JNugent - Thu, 21 Dec 2023 14:41 UTC

On 21/12/2023 11:43 am, Simon Mason wrote:

> A drug driver has been jailed for nine years after causing a fatal collision on the A350 in April 2022.
> Ben Clough, 31, of Sambourne Gardens, Warminster, appeared at Salisbury Crown Court on Thursday (14/12) after pleading guilty to causing death by careless driving when under the influence of drink or drugs.
> On April 4, 2022, Clough was driving along the A350 Yarnbrook in a Range Rover when he crossed the central white lines, colliding head on with a Nissan X-Trail being driven by 69-year-old Robert Godfrey.
> Sadly, Robert, from Westbury, died at the scene.
> Clough was breath tested and drug tested, returning a positive drug wipe for cocaine, and was subsequently arrested.

Should think so too.

> Community road safety officer PC Charlotte Sartin said: “Firstly, I’d like to pay tribute to Robert’s family for their courage and bravery throughout this ordeal.
> “On April 4 last year, Clough put many people’s lives at risk by choosing to get behind the wheel while under the influence of cocaine.
> “Unfortunately, his actions led to the death of Robert.
> “Not only that, in February this year while on release under investigation before a charge was authorised by the CPS, Clough was stopped by officers again under the influence of cocaine.
> “Clough’s incredibly reckless and dangerous actions had already led to the death of Robert and it’s shocking to think he willingly chose to drive while under the influence of drugs again.
> “Nothing can bring Robert back but hopefully this lengthy sentence will bring his family some closure and lead Clough to reflect on his actions.”
> We are running our Drink/Drug Drive campaign for the entire month of December which sees officers carrying out early morning and late night vehicle checks, targeting individuals who appear over the limit or under the influence of illegal drugs.
> Our message is simple: Don't risk it.

> https://www.wiltshire.police.uk/news/wiltshire/news/2023/december-2023/drug-driver-jailed-following-fatal-rtc-on-a350-at-yarnbrook/

Warminster, eh?

In my experience (driving through the town twenty or thirty times a year
(on my way elsewhere), it has the *worst* drivers in the UK. Basic
obedience to traffic rules, give-way lines and centre-lines is
apparently only for visitors and passers-by.

But they can't all be high on cocaine.

Re: Drug driver jailed following fatal RTC on A350 at Yarnbrook

<d80d01b5-1ad5-405d-b931-348abb6857c2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=36380&group=uk.rec.cycling#36380

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2023 08:22:25 -0800 (PST)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Thu, 21 Dec 2023 16:22 UTC

QUOTE: A drug driver has been jailed for nine years after causing a fatal collision on the A350 in April 2022. Ben Clough, 31, of Sambourne Gardens, Warminster, appeared at Salisbury Crown Court on Thursday (14/12) after pleading guilty to causing death by careless driving when under the influence of drink or drugs. ENDS

Fessing up early doors has obviously led to such a lenient sentence for killing a man.