Keep up the good work! But please don't ask me to help.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Oldham speeding drink driver who killed pedestrian jailed

SubjectAuthor
* Oldham speeding drink driver who killed pedestrian jailedSimon Mason
`- ANOTHER OT POST by May Sun ON THE SAME INCIDENT: Re: Oldham speedingJNugent

1
Oldham speeding drink driver who killed pedestrian jailed

<5eec70e5-57f5-402d-8fa6-0e2995b882e4n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=36387&group=uk.rec.cycling#36387

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2023 03:43:25 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Oldham speeding drink driver who killed pedestrian jailed
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Fri, 22 Dec 2023 11:43 UTC

A speeding drink driver who killed a man at a pedestrian crossing before fleeing the scene has been jailed.

Nathan Quinn was over the legal alcohol limit when he drove through a red light and hit the 37-year-old father-of-two, who was crossing a road in Oldham, Greater Manchester, police said.

The 22-year-old, who had been pursued earlier by police, admitted causing death by dangerous driving, being over the alcohol limit and failing to stop.

He was sentenced to 10 years in jail.

Quinn, of Healds Green, Oldham, was also issued with a four-year driving ban at Manchester Minshull Street Crown Court to start when he is released from prison.

The court heard police had been on patrol on 15 October 2022 when they saw a black Audi A1 being driven "in an erratic manner".

Officers attempted to stop the vehicle, but the driver made off leading to a short pursuit, which was stopped after the officers lost sight of the car "due to Quinn's excessive and dangerous speed".

When the Audi passed an automatic number plate recognition camera it showed the car was being driven at more than double the 30mph speed limit, police said.

At about 23:30 GMT officers were called to reports of pedestrian being hit on Oldham Road before the car left and continued to drive towards the town centre.

The man was taken to hospital where he died a short time later.

Det Con Liam Carolan, from Greater Manchester Police, said it was a "tragic incident" where a husband and father of two young children had lost his life "due to the idiocy of Nathan Quinn".

"Mr Quinn thought he was untouchable and it has ultimately cost the life of a 37-year-old man who was simply crossing the road," he said.

"Not only did he not stop when approached by the police, he continue to travel at speeds more than double the signposted speed limits in that area while under the influence of alcohol.

"The victim's family have had to wait more than a year for this case to reach trail, and I am glad that we have played a part in bringing the killer of their loved one to justice."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-67776655

ANOTHER OT POST by May Sun ON THE SAME INCIDENT: Re: Oldham speeding drink driver who killed pedestrian jailed

<kulsgjF1egbU4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=36399&group=uk.rec.cycling#36399

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: ANOTHER OT POST by May Sun ON THE SAME INCIDENT: Re: Oldham speeding
drink driver who killed pedestrian jailed
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2023 16:40:51 +0000
 by: JNugent - Fri, 22 Dec 2023 16:40 UTC