From: aero.spike@mail.com (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: [Cycling] Dutch e-bike enterprise defunct
Date: 6 Jan 2024 08:13:13 GMT
 by: Spike - Sat, 6 Jan 2024 08:13 UTC

VanMoof: E-bike firm goes bust after Covid boom

Published 18 July 2023

By Ez Roberts Business reporter, BBC News

VanMoof, the Dutch high-end electric bike-maker, has gone bust after the
brothers who founded it were unable to save the firm.

VanMoof, which claims to have 190,000 customers worldwide, was declared
bankrupt by the Amsterdam District Court on Tuesday.

The firm saw demand for its bikes grow during the pandemic and raised
millions of dollars to fund expansion.

But its stores have now been closed and online orders have stopped.

Administrators are looking at whether VanMoof can be saved by selling its
assets or restructuring its debts.

VanMoof was founded in 2009 by Dutch brothers Taco and Ties Carlier who
wanted to make "the perfect city bike".

The bikes, which start at around £2,000, are known for their modern, sleek
design with a battery built into the frame.

During the pandemic, bike sales in general soared and VanMoof as a brand
took off.

The firm raised $128m (£98m) from investors to expand, at the time
describing itself "most funded e-bike company in the world".

However, according to reports there were problems with the firm's newer
models and it was struggling to shoulder the costs of repairs.

There were also reports of long delivery times for bikes and a shortage of
parts.

In an email to staff, published by The Verge, Taco and Ties Carlier said:
"Over the last weeks Ties and I have tried to find a future for VanMoof.

"We're extremely sorry to have to report that despite our best efforts we
did not succeed and we have had to file for bankruptcy."

VanMoof, which has around 700 employees, mainly sells its bikes online but
also has shops in 20 cities worldwide, and service hubs in 50 cities.

A spokesperson for VanMoof told the BBC: "The trustees are continuing to
assess the situation at VanMoof and are investigating the possibilities of
a re-start out of bankruptcy by means of an asset sale to a third party, so
that the activities of VanMoof can be continued."

The bankruptcy currently only affects the firm's Dutch business, not its
international subsidiaries.

VanMoof said it was unsure what would happen to stores outside of the
Netherlands but that its "intention is to keep these entities running as
usual".
Its London and Paris shops are shut, according to its website.

It also said:
Outgoing deliveries of bikes and bike parts have stopped
Repair stores are closed in the Netherlands, but customers can pick up
bikes that were left for repairs
A procedure for pre-payments and refund requests is being set up

It told customers that their e-bikes will not stop working, adding that the
firm aimed to keep its app and servers online and secure "ongoing services
for the future".

It advised owners to download their e-bike's unique digital key, in case
online servers go down.

<https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/66232252>

--
Spike

Re: [Cycling] Dutch e-bike enterprise defunct

<undmdd$10q41$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=36734&group=uk.rec.cycling#36734

From: muzhmuzh@centrum.sk (Peter Keller)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: [Cycling] Dutch e-bike enterprise defunct
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2024 21:12:28 +1300
 by: Peter Keller - Sun, 7 Jan 2024 08:12 UTC

On 6/01/24 21:13, Spike wrote:

> [...]
> international subsidiaries.
>
> VanMoof said it was unsure what would happen to stores outside of the
> Netherlands but that its "intention is to keep these entities running as
> usual".
> Its London and Paris shops are shut, according to its website.
>
> It also said:
> Outgoing deliveries of bikes and bike parts have stopped
> Repair stores are closed in the Netherlands, but customers can pick up
> bikes that were left for repairs
> A procedure for pre-payments and refund requests is being set up
>
> It told customers that their e-bikes will not stop working, adding that the
> firm aimed to keep its app and servers online and secure "ongoing services
> for the future".
>
> It advised owners to download their e-bike's unique digital key, in case

When I biked across the Netherlands it seemed rather flat to me. I would
have thought that an e-bike is much more expensive than a 1pp (person
powered) bike, without providing much in the way of advantages.

Re: [Cycling] Dutch e-bike enterprise defunct

<l01tgrF5r1tU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=36761&group=uk.rec.cycling#36761

From: aero.spike@mail.com (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 8 Jan 2024 09:27:55 GMT
 by: Spike - Mon, 8 Jan 2024 09:27 UTC

Peter Keller <muzhmuzh@centrum.sk> wrote:
> [...]
>> Its London and Paris shops are shut, according to its website.
>>
>> It also said:
>> Outgoing deliveries of bikes and bike parts have stopped
>> Repair stores are closed in the Netherlands, but customers can pick up
>> bikes that were left for repairs
>> A procedure for pre-payments and refund requests is being set up
>>
>> It told customers that their e-bikes will not stop working, adding that the
>> firm aimed to keep its app and servers online and secure "ongoing services
>> for the future".
>>
>> It advised owners to download their e-bike's unique digital key, in case
>> online servers go down.
>>
>> <https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/66232252>
>>
> When I biked across the Netherlands it seemed rather flat to me. I would
> have thought that an e-bike is much more expensive than a 1pp (person
> powered) bike, without providing much in the way of advantages.

Quite so. Apart from the death toll, Holland is a cycling utopia because it
is a) flat, and therefore easy to cycle, and b) has a cool climate so
sweaty cyclists don’t arrive at work needing to demand showers, soap,
towels, etc, to be provided for free in working time. The only real
advantage of an e-bike in such circumstances is that it can be tuned up to
go faster.

--
Spike