From: pj@jostle.com (Peter Jason)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Subject: Any way to encrypt DVD-R contents?
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2023 09:07:14 +1000
 by: Peter Jason - Sun, 18 Jun 2023 23:07 UTC

Re: Any way to encrypt DVD-R contents?

<648fae36@news.ausics.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3719&group=aus.computers#3719

From: not@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev)
Subject: Re: Any way to encrypt DVD-R contents?
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: 19 Jun 2023 11:24:07 +1000
 by: Computer Nerd Kev - Mon, 19 Jun 2023 01:24 UTC

You can encrypt files with any of many programs including GPG, then
burn them to disc.

But that ought to be obvious, so I guess you mean encrypting the
whole filesystem with the (unspecified) OS. On Linux LUKS
apparantly works for creating ISOs that can be burned to disc:
https://www.frederickding.com/posts/2017/08/luks-encrypted-dvd-bd-data-disc-guide-273316/

Wikipedia says that Windows Subsystem for Linux supports LUKS. I
haven't used WSL myself so I'm not sure how easy that would be to
use.

Or if you mean encrypting a Video DVD for copy protection while it
can still play back on normal DVD players: No, or at least not
where the encryption isn't completely insecure.

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Re: Any way to encrypt DVD-R contents?

<s1lv8i1sp4a4q73t4bcesd4ph6de45a1di@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3720&group=aus.computers#3720

From: pj@jostle.com (Peter Jason)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2023 14:06:47 +1000
 by: Peter Jason - Mon, 19 Jun 2023 04:06 UTC

On 19 Jun 2023 11:24:07 +1000, Computer Nerd Kev
<not@telling.you.invalid> wrote:

>You can encrypt files with any of many programs including GPG, then
>burn them to disc.
>
>But that ought to be obvious, so I guess you mean encrypting the
>whole filesystem with the (unspecified) OS. On Linux LUKS
>apparantly works for creating ISOs that can be burned to disc:
>https://www.frederickding.com/posts/2017/08/luks-encrypted-dvd-bd-data-disc-guide-273316/
>
>Wikipedia says that Windows Subsystem for Linux supports LUKS. I
>haven't used WSL myself so I'm not sure how easy that would be to
>use.
>
>Or if you mean encrypting a Video DVD for copy protection while it
>can still play back on normal DVD players: No, or at least not
>where the encryption isn't completely insecure.
Thanks
I need it for DVD players, so I guess no.