A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. -- Winston Churchill

aus+uk / aus.computers / Any laptop guys here?

SubjectAuthor
* Any laptop guys here?Trevor Wilson
+* Any laptop guys here?Rod Speed
|`* Any laptop guys here?Trevor Wilson
| `- Any laptop guys here?Rod Speed
`* Any laptop guys here?Computer Nerd Kev
 +* Any laptop guys here?Trevor Wilson
 |`* Any laptop guys here?Computer Nerd Kev
 | `- Any laptop guys here?Trevor Wilson
 `* Any laptop guys here?Ozix
  `* Any laptop guys here?Marco Moock
   `- Any laptop guys here?Ozix

1
Any laptop guys here?

<kh6t0rFnhekU6@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3729&group=aus.computers#3729

From: trevor@rageaudio.com.au (Trevor Wilson)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Subject: Any laptop guys here?
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2023 15:46:03 +1000
 by: Trevor Wilson - Wed, 12 Jul 2023 05:46 UTC

My HP GGJRCRF7 laptop needs a new battery. I have the battery and am
about to strip the beast down to replace it. However, the fan is noisy.
I assume there are multiple fans in the thing. Can anyone direct me to
either genuine fans or replacement ones for the HP I have? I really
don't want to pull it apart twice.

TIA

Re: Any laptop guys here?

<op.17zbxhv7byq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3731&group=aus.computers#3731

From: rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Subject: Re: Any laptop guys here?
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2023 03:23:31 +1000
 by: Rod Speed - Wed, 12 Jul 2023 17:23 UTC

Trevor Wilson <trevor@rageaudio.com.au> wrote

> My HP GGJRCRF7 laptop needs a new battery. I have the battery and am
> about to strip the beast down to replace it. However, the fan is noisy.

> I assume there are multiple fans in the thing. Can anyone direct me to
> either genuine fans

HP do sell spares like that. You might not like the price tho.

> or replacement ones for the HP I have?

Laptops are a classic where plenty get dropped etc
and the remains are available on ebay.

I havent checked aliexpress to see if that fan is readily
available there because HP used it quite a bit.

You should be able to find the maintenance manual for
the laptop online which has a full exploded diagram of
the parts and detailled instructions on how to disassemble
it and maybe even a youtube about the fan itself.

> I really don't want to pull it apart twice.

Re: Any laptop guys here?

<kh8n4kF537tU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3732&group=aus.computers#3732

From: trevor@rageaudio.com.au (Trevor Wilson)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2023 08:17:56 +1000
 by: Trevor Wilson - Wed, 12 Jul 2023 22:17 UTC

On 13/07/2023 3:23 am, Rod Speed wrote:
> Trevor Wilson <trevor@rageaudio.com.au> wrote
>
>> My HP GGJRCRF7 laptop needs a new battery. I have the battery and am
>> about to strip the beast down to replace it. However, the fan is noisy.
>
>> I assume there are multiple fans in the thing. Can anyone direct me to
>> either genuine fans
>
> HP do sell spares like that. You might not like the price tho.

**Maybe. I purchased an OEM HP battery and the price was not too bad. I
can't imagine that the fans are anything special.

>> or replacement ones for the HP I have?
>
> Laptops are a classic where plenty get dropped etc
> and the remains are available on ebay.

**Good thought. Still, it was and still is a nice lappy. Worth repairing.

> I havent checked aliexpress to see if that fan is readily
> available there because HP used it quite a bit.

**If I knew the specs of the fan, I could chase one down. I don't want
to pull the thing apart twice. Particularly in light of the fact that it
is my daily PC.

> You should be able to find the maintenance manual for
> the laptopĀ  online which has a full exploded diagram of
> the parts and detailled instructions on how to disassemble
> it and maybe even a youtube about the fan itself.

**Yeah, I'll see what I can find. Once I have the HP part number or
specs on the fan, I'll be good to go.

>> I really don't want to pull it apart twice.

Re: Any laptop guys here?

<64af3751@news.ausics.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3733&group=aus.computers#3733

From: not@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: 13 Jul 2023 09:29:22 +1000
 by: Computer Nerd Kev - Wed, 12 Jul 2023 23:29 UTC

Trevor Wilson <trevor@rageaudio.com.au> wrote:
> My HP GGJRCRF7 laptop needs a new battery.

Is that the best model number you've got? HP are one of the crowds
that put various model numbers on things, only some ever seem to be
easily findable on the web. "GGJRCRF7" might mean something inside
one of HP's offices, but try to find another model name/number on
it (even if that was the one labelled as a model number) which is
better known to the internet. Then you should be able to look it up
on HP's website too.

> I have the battery and am
> about to strip the beast down to replace it. However, the fan is noisy.
> I assume there are multiple fans in the thing. Can anyone direct me to
> either genuine fans or replacement ones for the HP I have? I really
> don't want to pull it apart twice.

No idea for the GGJRCRF7, that's not a form of model number that HP
normally reference in public docs.

There usually is only one (if any) fan in a laptop though, for the
CPU and maybe other chips. Usually the CPU heatsink is part of the
same (often inseparable) assembly so you need to remove that and
clean then re-apply the thermal paste to the CPU when you install
the new one. Make sure to screw it down evenly too.

Another option is to try and get some light (eg. 3-in-1) oil into
the fan bearings. In old fans the sticker in the middle could be
pealed back and you could put a drop of oil (not too much) in
through the hole there. Modern laptop fans usually don't have a
hole, so I never worked out how to do that with them. If the
bearings are already too worn then it will only fix it for a short
time anyway, a replacement is ideal if you don't want to risk it.

AliExpress usually have reproduction parts if it's a popular model
internationally. Ebay will likely have people selling new and used
parts. HP might sell direct, but I'm not sure whether they do that
for their low end consumer models (if that's what you've got). It
should have a searchable model number on a sticker on the part
inside (often alongside some unsearchable model numbers, like the
one you've given for the laptop itself).

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Re: Any laptop guys here?

<kh9cvvF7ok5U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3734&group=aus.computers#3734

From: trevor@rageaudio.com.au (Trevor Wilson)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2023 14:30:55 +1000
 by: Trevor Wilson - Thu, 13 Jul 2023 04:30 UTC

On 13/07/2023 9:29 am, Computer Nerd Kev wrote:
> Trevor Wilson <trevor@rageaudio.com.au> wrote:
>> My HP GGJRCRF7 laptop needs a new battery.
>
> Is that the best model number you've got?

**It's an HP Pavilion 15-cs0019TX.

I downloaded the service manual and it's clear enough to show the
correct sequence to R&R the fan.

Fan P# is: L24935-001

I found one online for 60 Bucks. Way too expensive, but if I can't find
a suitable alternative, it will have to do.

HP are one of the crowds
> that put various model numbers on things, only some ever seem to be
> easily findable on the web. "GGJRCRF7" might mean something inside
> one of HP's offices, but try to find another model name/number on
> it (even if that was the one labelled as a model number) which is
> better known to the internet. Then you should be able to look it up
> on HP's website too.
>
>> I have the battery and am
>> about to strip the beast down to replace it. However, the fan is noisy.
>> I assume there are multiple fans in the thing. Can anyone direct me to
>> either genuine fans or replacement ones for the HP I have? I really
>> don't want to pull it apart twice.
>
> No idea for the GGJRCRF7, that's not a form of model number that HP
> normally reference in public docs.

**Yeah, that was what Windows ID'd it as. See above for the real number.

> There usually is only one (if any) fan in a laptop though, for the
> CPU and maybe other chips. Usually the CPU heatsink is part of the
> same (often inseparable) assembly so you need to remove that and
> clean then re-apply the thermal paste to the CPU when you install
> the new one. Make sure to screw it down evenly too.

**Of course and thanks. The manual seems pretty clear on how to do the
job. I just hate pulling stuff to bits twice.

> Another option is to try and get some light (eg. 3-in-1) oil into
> the fan bearings.

**Yeah, I've done that before in a pinch, but since this is my workhorse
and sees a lot of action, I'd prefer to replace it. Those sleeved
bearing fans only last so long before they cark it.

In old fans the sticker in the middle could be
> pealed back and you could put a drop of oil (not too much) in
> through the hole there. Modern laptop fans usually don't have a
> hole, so I never worked out how to do that with them. If the
> bearings are already too worn then it will only fix it for a short
> time anyway, a replacement is ideal if you don't want to risk it.

**Even for 60 Bucks, plus freight, it's worth it to me to replace.

> AliExpress usually have reproduction parts if it's a popular model
> internationally. Ebay will likely have people selling new and used
> parts. HP might sell direct, but I'm not sure whether they do that
> for their low end consumer models (if that's what you've got). It
> should have a searchable model number on a sticker on the part
> inside (often alongside some unsearchable model numbers, like the
> one you've given for the laptop itself).

**I guess it's a mid-end model. It cost me $1,500.00 in 2018. 4k video,
decent sound, 16GB RAM, 2TB rotary drive and 256GB SSD, i7-8550U CPU @
1.8GHz. So, not too shabby. The screen is lovely and the video output to
my two 32" 4k screens is likewise very nice.

Re: Any laptop guys here?

<64af9af3@news.ausics.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3735&group=aus.computers#3735

From: not@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: 13 Jul 2023 16:34:28 +1000
 by: Computer Nerd Kev - Thu, 13 Jul 2023 06:34 UTC

Trevor Wilson <trevor@rageaudio.com.au> wrote:
> On 13/07/2023 9:29 am, Computer Nerd Kev wrote:
>> Trevor Wilson <trevor@rageaudio.com.au> wrote:
>>> My HP GGJRCRF7 laptop needs a new battery.
>>
>> Is that the best model number you've got?
>
> **It's an HP Pavilion 15-cs0019TX.
>
> I downloaded the service manual and it's clear enough to show the
> correct sequence to R&R the fan.

A HP service manual should make the job pretty easy, at least so
long as the case isn't one of those clip-together designs that
don't like to unclip.

> Fan P# is: L24935-001
>
> I found one online for 60 Bucks. Way too expensive, but if I can't find
> a suitable alternative, it will have to do.

Cheaper here:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/295027989061

> **I guess it's a mid-end model. It cost me $1,500.00 in 2018. 4k video,
> decent sound, 16GB RAM, 2TB rotary drive and 256GB SSD, i7-8550U CPU @
> 1.8GHz. So, not too shabby. The screen is lovely and the video output to
> my two 32" 4k screens is likewise very nice.

Sounds well worth a new fan.

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Re: Any laptop guys here?

<op.1708mvocbyq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3736&group=aus.computers#3736

From: rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2023 04:07:33 +1000
 by: Rod Speed - Thu, 13 Jul 2023 18:07 UTC

Trevor Wilson <trevor@rageaudio.com.au> wrote
> Rod Speed wrote
>> Trevor Wilson <trevor@rageaudio.com.au> wrote

>>> My HP GGJRCRF7 laptop needs a new battery. I have the battery and am
>>> about to strip the beast down to replace it. However, the fan is noisy.

>>> I assume there are multiple fans in the thing. Can anyone direct me to
>>> either genuine fans

>> HP do sell spares like that. You might not like the price tho.

> Maybe. I purchased an OEM HP battery and the price was not too bad. I
> can't imagine that the fans are anything special.

They aren't but some of the lower demand items like
fans have some pretty silly prices from HP anyway.

>>> or replacement ones for the HP I have?

>> Laptops are a classic where plenty get dropped etc
>> and the remains are available on ebay.

> Good thought. Still, it was and still is a nice lappy. Worth repairing.

>> I havent checked aliexpress to see if that fan is readily
>> available there because HP used it quite a bit.

> If I knew the specs of the fan, I could chase one down.

You don't need the specs, some of the
better sellers list the models it fits.

> I don't want to pull the thing apart twice. Particularly in light of the
> fact that it is my daily PC.

Sure, but you don't need to if the seller lists the laptops it fits and
some do.

>> You should be able to find the maintenance manual for
>> the laptop online which has a full exploded diagram of
>> the parts and detailled instructions on how to disassemble
>> it and maybe even a youtube about the fan itself.

> Yeah, I'll see what I can find. Once I have the HP part number or specs
> on the fan, I'll be good to go.

>>> I really don't want to pull it apart twice.

Re: Any laptop guys here?

<64b0c4f3$1@news.ausics.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3737&group=aus.computers#3737

Newsgroups: aus.computers
From: ozix@xizo.am (Ozix)
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2023 11:45:55 +0800
 by: Ozix - Fri, 14 Jul 2023 03:45 UTC

Computer Nerd Kev wrote:

> There usually is only one (if any) fan in a laptop though, for the
> CPU and maybe other chips. Usually the CPU heatsink is part of the
> same (often inseparable) assembly so you need to remove that and
> clean then re-apply the thermal paste to the CPU when you install
> the new one. Make sure to screw it down evenly too.

My Toshiba laptop display started going pyschedelic. It seems the
heatsink paste breaking down on CPU or GPU was a common issue with them.
Prick of a job, took 25 minutes to get it out and reassemble.

Re: Any laptop guys here?

<khc7ftFl632U3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3738&group=aus.computers#3738

From: trevor@rageaudio.com.au (Trevor Wilson)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2023 16:15:25 +1000
 by: Trevor Wilson - Fri, 14 Jul 2023 06:15 UTC

On 13/07/2023 4:34 pm, Computer Nerd Kev wrote:
> Trevor Wilson <trevor@rageaudio.com.au> wrote:
>>>
>>> Is that the best model number you've got?
>>
>> **It's an HP Pavilion 15-cs0019TX.
>>
>> I downloaded the service manual and it's clear enough to show the
>> correct sequence to R&R the fan.
>
> A HP service manual should make the job pretty easy, at least so
> long as the case isn't one of those clip-together designs that
> don't like to unclip.
>
>> Fan P# is: L24935-001
>>
>> I found one online for 60 Bucks. Way too expensive, but if I can't find
>> a suitable alternative, it will have to do.
>
> Cheaper here:
> https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/295027989061
>
>> **I guess it's a mid-end model. It cost me $1,500.00 in 2018. 4k video,
>> decent sound, 16GB RAM, 2TB rotary drive and 256GB SSD, i7-8550U CPU @
>> 1.8GHz. So, not too shabby. The screen is lovely and the video output to
>> my two 32" 4k screens is likewise very nice.
>
> Sounds well worth a new fan.

**Thanks for that. New fan ordered.

Re: Any laptop guys here?

<u8ucr6$dlto$7@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3739&group=aus.computers#3739

From: mo01@posteo.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2023 17:09:25 +0200
 by: Marco Moock - Sat, 15 Jul 2023 15:09 UTC

Am 14.07.2023 um 11:45:55 Uhr schrieb Ozix:

> My Toshiba laptop display started going pyschedelic. It seems the
> heatsink paste breaking down on CPU or GPU was a common issue with
> them. Prick of a job, took 25 minutes to get it out and reassemble.

Did that work?

IIRC if the GPU give out rubbish, either the GPU or the VRAM is broken.

Re: Any laptop guys here?

<64b34bed$1@news.ausics.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3740&group=aus.computers#3740

Newsgroups: aus.computers
From: ozix@xizo.am (Ozix)
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2023 09:46:21 +0800
 by: Ozix - Sun, 16 Jul 2023 01:46 UTC

Marco Moock wrote:
> Am 14.07.2023 um 11:45:55 Uhr schrieb Ozix:
>
>> My Toshiba laptop display started going pyschedelic. It seems the
>> heatsink paste breaking down on CPU or GPU was a common issue with
>> them. Prick of a job, took 25 minutes to get it out and reassemble.
>
> Did that work?
>
> IIRC if the GPU give out rubbish, either the GPU or the VRAM is broken.

Yes it worked. I assume the GPU was overheating. Sometimes the screen
also went blank, but it hadn't apparently crashed - still responded to
num lock or caps lock keys.