From: aero.spike@mail.com (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: [Cycling][3] 18 FINED for RLJing
👍
Date: 3 Feb 2024 14:20:07 GMT
 by: Spike - Sat, 3 Feb 2024 14:20 UTC

Police in Hackney catch 18 red light jumping cyclists in 90 minutes

Some people on social media questioned the force's use of resources, as the
offending cyclists were fined ÂŁ50 and educated on road safety...

by RYAN MALLON

Safer Transport Team officers in Hackney fined 18 cyclists in the space of
90 minutes for jumping red lights at the weekend.

The Metropolitan Police Service’s Roads and Transport Policing Command
tweeted that 14 officers in hi vis jackets patrolled the Hackney Road
junction with Kingsland Road on Saturday evening. They were there as part
of Operation ‘Vision Zero’, London Mayor Sadiq Khan’s bid to eliminate
deaths and serious injuries on the capital’s roads.

In the space of 90 minutes, the officers caught 18 cyclists jumping red
lights in the area. The cyclists in question were lectured on road safety
and handed fixed penalty notices of ÂŁ50, to be paid within 28 days.

The police’s action earned praise from some quarters, with one Twitter
account – associated with a group opposed to Low Traffic Neighbourhoods –
writing: “Good that this is finally being dealt with. So many cyclists jump
red lights and then scream at cars and pedestrians.”

The Roads and Transport team thanked the account for their support and
said: “Be assured we will continue with the campaign to enforce cycle
safety for all road users”.

Some used the news to call for more stringent rules concerning cycling,
with one user writing: “Excellent work but highlights the need for cyclists
to obtain a cycling licence and to display number plates. All light jumpers
could have had their licences endorsed with three penalty points which
would have been well deserved.”

However, others weren’t as impressed with the police’s work. One user asked
the team “one day could you please send 14 officers to sit at the lights
and look for phone drivers? A fiver says you’d get 18 in 10 minutes.”

The police responded: “We understand the risks posed by motorists using
hand-held devices whilst driving. Our colleagues in the Traffic unit are
dedicated to dealing with this daily.”

Last year Richmond Council was criticised for stopping children riding
their bikes on undesignated paths in Sheen Common, and threatening them
with fines of ÂŁ60.

In December a man was fined ÂŁ75 for riding through a pedestrian zone
outside a tube and Overground station in north London, after he had missed
the small ‘no cycling’ signs attached to bollards near the station.

<https://road.cc/content/news/police-catch-18-red-light-jumping-cyclists-90-minutes-289991>

--
Spike

Re: [Cycling][3] 18 FINED for RLJing 👍

<l27f0lFg7gnU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=37529&group=uk.rec.cycling#37529

From: jnugent97@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: [Cycling][3] 18 FINED for RLJing 👍
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2024 18:29:41 +0000
 by: JNugent - Sat, 3 Feb 2024 18:29 UTC

On 03/02/2024 02:20 pm, Spike wrote:

> Police in Hackney catch 18 red light jumping cyclists in 90 minutes
>
> Some people on social media questioned the force's use of resources, as the
> offending cyclists were fined ÂŁ50 and educated on road safety...
>
> by RYAN MALLON
>
> Safer Transport Team officers in Hackney fined 18 cyclists in the space of
> 90 minutes for jumping red lights at the weekend.
>
> The Metropolitan Police Service’s Roads and Transport Policing Command
> tweeted that 14 officers in hi vis jackets patrolled the Hackney Road
> junction with Kingsland Road on Saturday evening. They were there as part
> of Operation ‘Vision Zero’, London Mayor Sadiq Khan’s bid to eliminate
> deaths and serious injuries on the capital’s roads.
>
> In the space of 90 minutes, the officers caught 18 cyclists jumping red
> lights in the area. The cyclists in question were lectured on road safety
> and handed fixed penalty notices of ÂŁ50, to be paid within 28 days.
>
> The police’s action earned praise from some quarters, with one Twitter
> account – associated with a group opposed to Low Traffic Neighbourhoods –
> writing: “Good that this is finally being dealt with. So many cyclists jump
> red lights and then scream at cars and pedestrians.”
>
> The Roads and Transport team thanked the account for their support and
> said: “Be assured we will continue with the campaign to enforce cycle
> safety for all road users”.
>
> Some used the news to call for more stringent rules concerning cycling,
> with one user writing: “Excellent work but highlights the need for cyclists
> to obtain a cycling licence and to display number plates. All light jumpers
> could have had their licences endorsed with three penalty points which
> would have been well deserved.”
>
> However, others weren’t as impressed with the police’s work. One user asked
> the team “one day could you please send 14 officers to sit at the lights
> and look for phone drivers? A fiver says you’d get 18 in 10 minutes.”
>
> The police responded: “We understand the risks posed by motorists using
> hand-held devices whilst driving. Our colleagues in the Traffic unit are
> dedicated to dealing with this daily.”
>
> Last year Richmond Council was criticised for stopping children riding
> their bikes on undesignated paths in Sheen Common, and threatening them
> with fines of ÂŁ60.
>
> In December a man was fined ÂŁ75 for riding through a pedestrian zone
> outside a tube and Overground station in north London, after he had missed
> the small ‘no cycling’ signs attached to bollards near the station.
>
> <https://road.cc/content/news/police-catch-18-red-light-jumping-cyclists-90-minutes-289991>

Oh, yes... he MUST have just "missed" the signs...

There's just no other explanation for his illegal behaviour, is there?
He must have "missed" the prohibition signs... every single one of them,
even though he probably uses the same route every day.

So all those chav-cyclists riding along footways, riding their
chav-bikes straight through red traffic lights, the wrong way in one-way
streets, etc, etc MUST be literally so thick that they have never
learned what a FOOTway is for, or what those red lights mean, or what
those red discs with a horizontal white band through the centre mean.

IOW, they have IQs of something less than 75.

It explains a lot, including the poor command of English at road.cc.