Woman: "Is Yoo-Hoo hyphenated?" Yogi Berra: "No, ma'am, its not even carbonated."

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Northern Ireland drivers to face fines under new rules to crackdown on pavement parking

SubjectAuthor
* Northern Ireland drivers to face fines under new rules to crackdown on pavement Simon Mason
+- Another Mason OFF-TOPIC TROLLING POST. "Northern Ireland drivers to face fines uJNugent
+* Re: Northern Ireland drivers to face fines under new rules to crackdown on pavemSimon Mason
|+- Re: Northern Ireland drivers to face fines under new rules to crackdown on pavemJNugent
|`* Re: Northern Ireland drivers to face fines under new rules to crackdown on pavemSimon Mason
| +- TROLLING by MAY SUN: "Northern Ireland drivers to face fines under new rules to JNugent
| `* Re: Northern Ireland drivers to face fines under new rules to crackdown on pavemSimon Mason
|  `- TROLLING from MAY SUN: "Northern Ireland drivers to face fines under new rules tJNugent
+* Re: Northern Ireland drivers to face fines under new rules to crackdown on pavemSimon Mason
|+- Re: Northern Ireland drivers to face fines under new rules to crackdown on pavemJNugent
|+* Re: Northern Ireland drivers to face fines under new rules to crackdown on pavemSimon Mason
||+- MORE MAY SUN TROLLING: "Northern Ireland drivers to face fines under new rules tJNugent
||`* Re: Northern Ireland drivers to face fines under new rules to crackdown on pavemSimon Mason
|| +- Re: Northern Ireland drivers to face fines under new rules to crackdown on pavemJNugent
|| `* Re: Northern Ireland drivers to face fines under new rules to crackdown on pavemSimon Mason
||  +- Re: Northern Ireland drivers to face fines under new rules to crackdown on pavemJNugent
||  `* Re: Northern Ireland drivers to face fines under new rules to crackdown on pavemSimon Mason
||   `- Re: Northern Ireland drivers to face fines under new rules to crackdown on pavemJNugent
|+* Re: Northern Ireland drivers to face fines under new rules to crackdown on pavemSimon Mason
||`- Re: Northern Ireland drivers to face fines under new rules to crackdown on pavemJNugent
|`* Re: Northern Ireland drivers to face fines under new rules to crackdown on pavemSimon Mason
| +- Re: Northern Ireland drivers to face fines under new rules to crackdown on pavemJNugent
| `- Re: Northern Ireland drivers to face fines under new rules to crackdown on pavemSimon Mason
+* Re: Northern Ireland drivers to face fines under new rules to crackdown on pavemSimon Mason
|`- Re: Northern Ireland drivers to face fines under new rules to crackdown on pavemJNugent
+* Re: Northern Ireland drivers to face fines under new rules to crackdown on pavemSimon Mason
|+- Re: Northern Ireland drivers to face fines under new rules to crackdown on pavemJNugent
|`* Re: Northern Ireland drivers to face fines under new rules to crackdown on pavemSimon Mason
| `- Re: Northern Ireland drivers to face fines under new rules to crackdown on pavemJNugent
+* Re: Northern Ireland drivers to face fines under new rules to crackdown on pavemSimon Mason
|`- Re: Northern Ireland drivers to face fines under new rules to crackdown on pavemJNugent
`- Re: Northern Ireland drivers to face fines under new rules to crackdown on pavemSimon Mason

Pages:12
Northern Ireland drivers to face fines under new rules to crackdown on pavement parking

<2873592b-e1f3-4afa-8b69-9056d7a1e017n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=37538&group=uk.rec.cycling#37538

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2024 03:52:06 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Northern Ireland drivers to face fines under new rules to crackdown
on pavement parking
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 11:52 UTC

Drivers in Northern Ireland are being urged to ‘Think Before You Park’ ahead of the introduction of new parking restrictions later this week or they could face a fine.

The new rules, which come into operation this Friday, November 3 aim to crack down on the problem of pavement parking.

The Department for Infrastructure (DfI) said the new parking restrictions will help to address this issue by prohibiting parking wholly or partly on a footway at a number of specific locations.

a bus lane;
the limits of any bus stop in a lay-by or any bus stop as delineated by markings on the carriageway at any time;
the limits of any bus stand in a lay-by or any bus stand as delineated by markings on the carriageway at any time;
the limits of any mandatory cycle lane as delineated by markings on the carriageway at any time; and
the limits of any mandatory school keep clear as delineated by markings on the carriageway at any time.

The Rule also revokes and re-enacts existing prohibitions on footways.

All vehicles found to be in breach of the new restrictions will receive a £90 Penalty Charge Notice, discounted to £45 if paid within 14 days.

Drivers are being urged to abide by the new rules and to show consideration at all times when parking to ensure they are not causing an obstruction and inconvenience to others.

A Dfi spokesperson said: "The Department treats vehicles parked in contravention of parking restrictions very seriously with Traffic Attendants employed across Northern Ireland to help keep traffic moving freely and safely.

"Parking on pavements is a particular area of concern. Drivers often mistakenly think they are doing the right thing by keeping the road clear but fail to consider the needs of people on the footway causing them inconvenience and often putting them in danger.

"This is a particular risk for people with disabilities, older people, children, and people pushing prams who may have to go onto the road to get around the parked cars."

https://www.belfastlive.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/northern-ireland-drivers-face-fines-28015452

Another Mason OFF-TOPIC TROLLING POST. "Northern Ireland drivers to face fines under new rules to crackdown on pavement parking" [No chav-cycle content]

<l29inaFrnn3U3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=37545&group=uk.rec.cycling#37545

From: jnugent97@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Another Mason OFF-TOPIC TROLLING POST. "Northern Ireland drivers to
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2024 13:45:15 +0000
 by: JNugent - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 13:45 UTC

On 04/02/2024 11:52 am, Simon Mason wrote:

> Drivers in Northern Ireland are being urged to ‘Think Before You Park’ ahead of the introduction of new parking restrictions later this week or they could face a fine.
> The new rules, which come into operation this Friday, November 3 aim to crack down on the problem of pavement parking.
> The Department for Infrastructure (DfI) said the new parking restrictions will help to address this issue by prohibiting parking wholly or partly on a footway at a number of specific locations.
> a bus lane;
> the limits of any bus stop in a lay-by or any bus stop as delineated by markings on the carriageway at any time;
> the limits of any bus stand in a lay-by or any bus stand as delineated by markings on the carriageway at any time;
> the limits of any mandatory cycle lane as delineated by markings on the carriageway at any time; and
> the limits of any mandatory school keep clear as delineated by markings on the carriageway at any time.
> The Rule also revokes and re-enacts existing prohibitions on footways.
> All vehicles found to be in breach of the new restrictions will receive a £90 Penalty Charge Notice, discounted to £45 if paid within 14 days.
> Drivers are being urged to abide by the new rules and to show consideration at all times when parking to ensure they are not causing an obstruction and inconvenience to others.
> A Dfi spokesperson said: "The Department treats vehicles parked in contravention of parking restrictions very seriously with Traffic Attendants employed across Northern Ireland to help keep traffic moving freely and safely.
> "Parking on pavements is a particular area of concern. Drivers often mistakenly think they are doing the right thing by keeping the road clear but fail to consider the needs of people on the footway causing them inconvenience and often putting them in danger.
> "This is a particular risk for people with disabilities, older people, children, and people pushing prams who may have to go onto the road to get around the parked cars."
>
> https://www.belfastlive.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/northern-ireland-drivers-face-fines-28015452

All very well in its own way, but for residential streets, the only
really effective legislative change would occur if households with no
off-street parking were simply not permitted to keep a motor vehicle at
all. And if those which do have some off-street parking were limited to
only the number of vehicles which can be fitted onto that space.

It is such an obvious solution and would have several effects, including
making the ownership of small pockets of land in residential areas a
valuable asset because off-street parking spaces could be rented out (or
even sold freehold or leasehold).

Of course, pedestrians in Northern Ireland, as in the rest of the UK,
are more in danger (while on the FOOTway) from speeding chav-cyclists. I
certainly don't support FOOTway parking, but chav-cyclists are only
against it because they want the FOOTways cleared for *their* use. They
could not care less about pedestrians, mobility scooter users, etc.

Re: Northern Ireland drivers to face fines under new rules to crackdown on pavement parking

<0c91c131-4e8e-4e64-a78f-7b1c5a00463en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=37549&group=uk.rec.cycling#37549

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2024 06:23:17 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Northern Ireland drivers to face fines under new rules to
crackdown on pavement parking
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 14:23 UTC

QUOTE: the limits of any mandatory cycle lane as delineated by markings on the carriageway at any time ENDS

Got that, bastards? KEEP OFF.

Re: Northern Ireland drivers to face fines under new rules to crackdown on pavement parking

<l2a0arFu2m4U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=37553&group=uk.rec.cycling#37553

From: jnugent97@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
crackdown on pavement parking
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2024 17:37:31 +0000
 by: JNugent - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 17:37 UTC

On 04/02/2024 02:23 pm, Simon Mason wrote:

> QUOTE: the limits of any mandatory cycle lane as delineated by markings on the carriageway at any time ENDS
>
> Got that, bastards? KEEP OFF.

Why do you claim that there are chav-cycle lanes marked on Northern
Ireland's FOOTways?

Re: Northern Ireland drivers to face fines under new rules to crackdown on pavement parking

<d7493951-f9c0-4118-a594-350745c4a9d0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=37555&group=uk.rec.cycling#37555

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2024 11:07:36 -0800 (PST)
crackdown on pavement parking
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 19:07 UTC

QUOTE: "Parking on pavements is a particular area of concern. Drivers often mistakenly think they are doing the right thing by keeping the road clear but fail to consider the needs of people on the footway causing them inconvenience and often putting them in danger. "This is a particular risk for people with disabilities, older people, children, and people pushing prams who may have to go onto the road to get around the parked cars." ENDS

A mum, with a pram, was forced to walk into a city centre road because the pavement was blocked by a van.

The vehicle was parked up on the path on Magdalene Street in Cambridge blocking all pedestrian access.

PHOTO HERE: https://i2-prod.cambridge-news.co.uk/incoming/article16879528.ece/ALTERNATES/s1200e/0_NG_tms_060919VanPavement_02.jpg

A man who saw the incident said the van "was parked fully blocking the pavement so that a mother with a baby in a pram needs to walk on the road.

"This situation could have turned into a disaster.

This van has been tagged on cycling websites as being parked dangerously".

Parking on the pavement is particularly dangerous for those with push chairs and people with disabilities, including wheelchair users and blind pedestrians using guide dogs .

This isn't the first time pavement parking has caused a hazard in Cambridge..

A van was previously spotted parked on the path on Cherry Hinton Road.

Also earlier in the year, a car was photographed in the middle of the path on Coldhams Lane.

Re: Northern Ireland drivers to face fines under new rules to crackdown on pavement parking

<l2adugF1plmU4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=37563&group=uk.rec.cycling#37563

From: jnugent97@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
crackdown on pavement parking
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2024 21:29:52 +0000
 by: JNugent - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 21:29 UTC

On 04/02/2024 07:07 pm, Simon Mason wrote:

> QUOTE: "Parking on pavements is a particular area of concern. Drivers often mistakenly think they are doing the right thing by keeping the road clear but fail to consider the needs of people on the footway causing them inconvenience and often putting them in danger. "This is a particular risk for people with disabilities, older people, children, and people pushing prams who may have to go onto the road to get around the parked cars." ENDS
>
> A mum, with a pram, was forced to walk into a city centre road because the pavement was blocked by a van.
> The vehicle was parked up on the path on Magdalene Street in Cambridge blocking all pedestrian access.

Which part of Northern Ireland is Cambridge in?

> PHOTO HERE: https://i2-prod.cambridge-news.co.uk/incoming/article16879528.ece/ALTERNATES/s1200e/0_NG_tms_060919VanPavement_02.jpg
> A man who saw the incident said the van "was parked fully blocking the pavement so that a mother with a baby in a pram needs to walk on the road.
> "This situation could have turned into a disaster.
> This van has been tagged on cycling websites as being parked dangerously".

So chavs on bikes ARE ONLY concerned with their own unimpeded access to
FOOTways for their illegal chav-cycling.

> Parking on the pavement is particularly dangerous for those with push chairs and people with disabilities, including wheelchair users and blind pedestrians using guide dogs .

After all, you chav-cyclists don't give a XXXX for pedestrians of any
stripe.

> This isn't the first time pavement parking has caused a hazard in Cambridge.
> A van was previously spotted parked on the path on Cherry Hinton Road.

....and the chav on the chav-bike was forced to leave the FOOTway and
ride the chav-bike along a stretch of the *carriageway*?

> Also earlier in the year, a car was photographed in the middle of the path on Coldhams Lane.

Was it?

And I suppose it was right in the way of all the local chav-bike riders?

Re: Northern Ireland drivers to face fines under new rules to crackdown on pavement parking

<1e67fe7e-000e-4f81-93a4-661322cacea0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=37567&group=uk.rec.cycling#37567

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2024 23:16:07 -0800 (PST)
crackdown on pavement parking
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Mon, 5 Feb 2024 07:16 UTC

QUOTE:A man who saw the incident said the van "was parked fully blocking the pavement so that a mother with a baby in a pram needs to walk on the road.. "This situation could have turned into a disaster. This van has been tagged on cycling websites as being parked dangerously. ENDS

"tagged on cycling websites"??

Bloody interfering cyclists worrying about reporting dangerous and selfish parking - why can't these do-gooders mind their own business instead of helping vulnerable pedestrians?

MORE MAY SUN TROLLING: "Northern Ireland drivers to face fines under new rules to crackdown on pavement parking"

<l2c8jeFbsccU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=37573&group=uk.rec.cycling#37573

From: jnugent97@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: MORE MAY SUN TROLLING: "Northern Ireland drivers to face fines under
new rules to crackdown on pavement parking"
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2024 14:10:54 +0000
 by: JNugent - Mon, 5 Feb 2024 14:10 UTC

On 05/02/2024 07:16 am, Simon Mason wrote:

> QUOTE:A man who saw the incident said the van "was parked fully blocking the pavement so that a mother with a baby in a pram needs to walk on the road. "This situation could have turned into a disaster. This van has been tagged on cycling websites as being parked dangerously. ENDS
>
> "tagged on cycling websites"??
>
> Bloody interfering cyclists worrying about reporting dangerous and selfish parking - why can't these do-gooders mind their own business instead of helping vulnerable pedestrians?

HAHAHAHA!

Just as though chav-cyclists are interested in anyone but themselves!

Hilarious!

They want the FOOTways cleared for faster and more reckless CHAV-CYCLING
on them!

Re: Northern Ireland drivers to face fines under new rules to crackdown on pavement parking

<29786e66-beb4-4052-add2-158c6faf71b6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=37579&group=uk.rec.cycling#37579

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2024 08:11:06 -0800 (PST)
crackdown on pavement parking
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Mon, 5 Feb 2024 16:11 UTC

A city-wide ban on drivers parking their vehicles on pavements comes into force today.

The rules are designed to protect pedestrians, especially people in wheelchairs and those pushing buggies.

Drivers could face a fine of up to £100 if they break the rule, which aims to stop vehicles from blocking pavements and causing an obstruction.

It is hoped the change will make streets safer and more accessible for pedestrians, particularly those with mobility issues or impaired vision.

The Transport (Scotland) Act 2019 included powers for councils to ban parking on pavements, at dropped kerbs and known crossing places as well as double parking.

Scott Arthur, City of Edinburgh Council’s transport and environment convener, said he had faith in motorists realising when they were blocking a road.

He added: “Every driver is responsible for parking their vehicles considerately, and where this would not cause an obstruction to the road.

“If a driver can’t park with all four wheels on the road without blocking traffic, we would encourage them to park elsewhere.

“Neither parking on the footpath nor blocking the road is safe or acceptable.”

Re: Northern Ireland drivers to face fines under new rules to crackdown on pavement parking

<l2co22Fei44U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=37585&group=uk.rec.cycling#37585

From: jnugent97@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
crackdown on pavement parking
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2024 18:34:42 +0000
 by: JNugent - Mon, 5 Feb 2024 18:34 UTC

On 05/02/2024 04:11 pm, Simon Mason wrote:

> A city-wide ban on drivers parking their vehicles on pavements comes into force today.
> The rules are designed to protect pedestrians, especially people in wheelchairs and those pushing buggies.
> Drivers could face a fine of up to £100 if they break the rule, which aims to stop vehicles from blocking pavements and causing an obstruction.
> It is hoped the change will make streets safer and more accessible for pedestrians, particularly those with mobility issues or impaired vision.
> The Transport (Scotland) Act 2019 included powers for councils to ban parking on pavements, at dropped kerbs and known crossing places as well as double parking.
> Scott Arthur, City of Edinburgh Council’s transport and environment convener, said he had faith in motorists realising when they were blocking a road.
> He added: “Every driver is responsible for parking their vehicles considerately, and where this would not cause an obstruction to the road.
> “If a driver can’t park with all four wheels on the road without blocking traffic, we would encourage them to park elsewhere.
> “Neither parking on the footpath nor blocking the road is safe or acceptable.”

May Sun's latest pearl of "wisdom":

"Edinburgh is in Northern Ireland".

That can be added to his belief that Ireland and France are still
subject to the British Crown.

Re: Northern Ireland drivers to face fines under new rules to crackdown on pavement parking

<d7dc0eb2-c5dd-43ca-bf63-e153817d314fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=37590&group=uk.rec.cycling#37590

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2024 12:03:19 -0800 (PST)
crackdown on pavement parking
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Mon, 5 Feb 2024 20:03 UTC

Double yellow lines are to be painted in two problem streets following the new pavement parking ban in Edinburgh.

Council officers monitoring 500 streets across the capital since the law came into force on Monday have identified Regent Street and Marlborough Street for the emergency road markings.

Residents said bin lorries were unable to travel down the streets with vehicles parked on both sides.

City of Edinburgh Council said it would paint the lines on Monday.

The pavement parking rules are designed to protect pedestrians, especially people in wheelchairs and those pushing buggies.

Victoria Watson, 50, who has lived in Regent Street for 17 years with her three children, said cars had been scraped and wing mirrors damaged since the ban was implemented.

She told BBC Scotland: "The road has been absolute carnage all week.

"We are pleased we are going to get double yellow lines but are unsure if it's going to work as nobody has done a site visit.

"There have been many scraped cars this week and wing mirrors off and bin lorries not been able to get down.

"And every hour on the hour a van has to be guided out."

She added: "It means three quarters of the parking will be gone in our street so I don't know where it is going to go. What provisions have they made?

City of Edinburgh Council is the first in Scotland to implement new powers given to it by the Transport (Scotland) Act 2019, which came into effect last month.

The ban on pavement parking started being enforced on Monday.

Parking at dropped kerbs and double parking are now also banned, with an exemption for delivery drivers.

No additional parking staff are being recruited to enforce the rules. Instead, current parking attendants are patrolling problem areas.

Scott Arthur, City of Edinburgh Council's transport and environment convener, said the double yellow lines would be painted under a Temporary Traffic Regulation Order which means they could be done quickly.

"I'm delighted that so many people are adhering to the new parking rules and I'd like to thank them for this. As I've said from the outset, officers are closely monitoring streets across the city to establish the impact of the changes, and if any mitigating measures need to be implemented," he said.

"As a result of this monitoring, and in response to requests from local councillors and community members, they've identified two streets - Regent Street and Marlborough Street - where the road becomes too narrow for larger vehicles to pass when cars are fully parked on both sides of the road.

"They're now acting swiftly to introduce temporary double yellow lines to restrict parking and make sure these streets are safe and passable.

"We'll continue monitoring streets across the city and I'd like to remind all drivers that they are responsible for following the Highway Code which states they should not park anywhere that would prevent access for emergency services."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-68186205

Re: Northern Ireland drivers to face fines under new rules to crackdown on pavement parking

<l2ctltFfgk5U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=37594&group=uk.rec.cycling#37594

From: jnugent97@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
crackdown on pavement parking
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2024 20:10:37 +0000
 by: JNugent - Mon, 5 Feb 2024 20:10 UTC

On 05/02/2024 08:03 pm, Simon Mason wrote:

> [...]
>
> "As a result of this monitoring, and in response to requests from local councillors and community members, they've identified two streets - Regent Street and Marlborough Street - where the road becomes too narrow for larger vehicles to pass when cars are fully parked on both sides of the road.
>
> "They're now acting swiftly to introduce temporary double yellow lines to restrict parking and make sure these streets are safe and passable.
>
> "We'll continue monitoring streets across the city and I'd like to remind all drivers that they are responsible for following the Highway Code which states they should not park anywhere that would prevent access for emergency services."

He STILL "thinks" that Edinburgh is in Northern Ireland!

And that Dublin and France are in the UK!

Re: Northern Ireland drivers to face fines under new rules to crackdown on pavement parking

<5617557a-1829-41cf-809e-ef9c9a203088n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=37601&group=uk.rec.cycling#37601

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2024 21:45:16 -0800 (PST)
crackdown on pavement parking
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Tue, 6 Feb 2024 05:45 UTC

Drivers could face fines of as much as £180 under a proposed crackdown on soaring levels of illegal parking in London.

More than 4.2 million parking tickets a year are issued in the capital for offences such as parking on yellow lines, exceeding the time limit in parking bays or parking in bus lanes.

Contraventions have increased by 50 per cent since 2011, when councils last increased their penalty charges, and they are concerned “that the current penalty charges no longer act as a deterrent”.

London Councils, the cross-party organisation that represents the 33 boroughs, has launched a consultation that proposes widespread reform of the current system of fines.

At present, there are “Band A” and “Band B” fines, with higher charges in inner London and suburban town centres, and lower charges in outer London where there is less of a battle for parking.

There are also “higher” and “lower” fines depending on the offence – with drivers facing tougher sanction for parking on yellow lines or causing an obstruction, but a lower penalty when overstaying in a pay-and-display bay.

This means that fines can range from £60 depending on location and severity of offence – with drivers who pay within a fortnight qualifying for a 50 per cent discount.

Under the new proposals, Londoners are being asked whether the penalty fines regime should be standardised across all boroughs.

One option is to bring the top fine in line with the £160 fine imposed by Transport for London for parking on a Red Route main road.

TfL increased its penalty tickets from £130 last year to toughen the deterrent effect and tackle the problem of declining bus speeds – a key factor in the reduction in bus passengers.

Another option being considered is to increase the top rate to £180 – equivalent to the rate of inflation since councils last increased their fines.

If the banding system were to be retained, it would mean that the cheapest ticket would increase from £60 to £90.

Nicholas Lyes, director of policy at IAM RoadSmart, formerly the Institute of Advanced Motorists, said: “Drivers in London are weathering a bit of a hammering from authorities with costs increasing almost everywhere they look.

“While there is no excuse for poor parking or deliberately violating moving traffic offences, we know there have been some drivers caught out by poor signage and inadequate road layout – most notably with yellow box junctions.

“Before councils change fine levels, they should be carrying out an audit of whether existing road infrastructure is fit for purpose.”

Councils also fine drivers for “moving traffic offences”, such as making banned turns or stopping in a yellow box junction. About 3.2m such fines are issued annually. These fines are currently £130 but could also be increased.

A number of boroughs have already switched to the higher “Band A” charges in a bid to discourage illegal parking.

This is because they found that Band B penalty charges were too low to prevent “poor parking behaviour”, according to the consultation documents.

The consultation report states: “The increasing rate of inflation has meant that there has been a reduction in the value of penalty charges over time.”

Clamping fees, and the cost of recovering a vehicle that has been taken to a council pound, could also increase.

Councils have virtually abandoned the practice of clamping vehicles but almost 21,000 were impounded in 2021/22. The cost of recovering an impounded vehicle could rise from £200 to £315, and the daily storage fee could increase from £40 to £65.

Respondents to the consultation are also being asked whether to retain the 50 per cent discount for early payment of fines. Another option is to increase the size of the fine if the ticket is not paid within 28 days.

A London Councils spokesperson said: “Boroughs are committed to making our roads safe and accessible for everyone. By effectively managing parking and traffic we can incentivise people to drive and park safely, protect access, crossings and junctions, and increase active travel such as walking, cycling and rented e-scooter use. We can also improve bus prioritisation, reduce carbon emissions and improve air quality.

“This consultation is a crucial part of the transport and environment committee’s decision-making process on penalty charge levels and additional fees. Anyone who uses London’s roads can have their say on the new proposals. We are dedicated to ensuring the plans don’t negatively impact lower income and more vulnerable people and welcome all input.”

Re: Northern Ireland drivers to face fines under new rules to crackdown on pavement parking

<l2f1m5FqrbvU4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=37623&group=uk.rec.cycling#37623

From: jnugent97@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
crackdown on pavement parking
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2024 15:31:17 +0000
 by: JNugent - Tue, 6 Feb 2024 15:31 UTC

On 06/02/2024 05:45 am, Simon Mason wrote:

> [...]
> A London Councils spokesperson said: “Boroughs are committed to making our roads safe and accessible for everyone. By effectively managing parking and traffic we can incentivise people to drive and park safely, protect access, crossings and junctions, and increase active travel such as walking, cycling and rented e-scooter use. We can also improve bus prioritisation, reduce carbon emissions and improve air quality.
> “This consultation is a crucial part of the transport and environment committee’s decision-making process on penalty charge levels and additional fees. Anyone who uses London’s roads can have their say on the new proposals. We are dedicated to ensuring the plans don’t negatively impact lower income and more vulnerable people and welcome all input.”

NOW... May Sun "thinks" that *London* is in Northern Ireland!

Well... perhaps one can see how he made the mistake.

Re: Northern Ireland drivers to face fines under new rules to crackdown on pavement parking

<ce63ba56-857f-4667-9dd4-44c6fc2f8e9fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=37631&group=uk.rec.cycling#37631

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2024 10:36:02 -0800 (PST)
crackdown on pavement parking
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Tue, 6 Feb 2024 18:36 UTC

A busy street in Edinburgh has become a 'free for all' for parking.

Since the new tram line to Newhaven has been completed, Elm Row and Leith Walk opened again to traffic after years of disruption.

However, locals have spotted the lack of parking restrictions around Elm Row with images showing cars parked up the street and on the pavement.

Across Elm Row, Edinbugh residents have reported that there are no parking restrictions in place as Edinburgh Council are still finalising parking provisions in the area. This has meant that parking appears to be free 24 hours a day.

Councillor Scott Arthur also revealed that there are plans to explore the idea of pedestrianising the area further as part of long-term plans for the city.

This comes after it was announced earlier this month that pavement parking will be made illegal in Edinburgh from January. It will make Edinburgh the first city in Scotland to implement the ban and drivers could face a £100 fine if they mount the kerb. Parking at dropped kerbs and double parking will also be banned, with an exemption for delivery drivers.

Councillor Scott Arthur, Transport and Environment Convener, said: “Outstanding works on Elm Row are still being finalised following the completion of the tram line to Newhaven, including the parking provision.

"Longer term, we will be exploring further pedestrianisation in the area which will result in minor changes.”

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/news/edinburgh-news/busy-edinburgh-street-becomes-parking-28148622

TROLLING by MAY SUN: "Northern Ireland drivers to face fines under new rules to crackdown on pavement parking" [No chav-cyclist content.]

<l2hisuF9j9qU6@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=37654&group=uk.rec.cycling#37654

From: jnugent97@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: TROLLING by MAY SUN: "Northern Ireland drivers to face fines under
new rules to crackdown on pavement parking" [No chav-cyclist content.]
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2024 14:37:18 +0000
 by: JNugent - Wed, 7 Feb 2024 14:37 UTC

On 06/02/2024 06:36 pm, Simon Mason wrote:

> A busy street in Edinburgh has become a 'free for all' for parking.
>
> Since the new tram line to Newhaven has been completed, Elm Row and Leith Walk opened again to traffic after years of disruption.
>
> However, locals have spotted the lack of parking restrictions around Elm Row with images showing cars parked up the street and on the pavement.
>
> Across Elm Row, Edinbugh residents have reported that there are no parking restrictions in place as Edinburgh Council are still finalising parking provisions in the area. This has meant that parking appears to be free 24 hours a day.
>
> Councillor Scott Arthur also revealed that there are plans to explore the idea of pedestrianising the area further as part of long-term plans for the city.
>
> This comes after it was announced earlier this month that pavement parking will be made illegal in Edinburgh from January. It will make Edinburgh the first city in Scotland to implement the ban and drivers could face a £100 fine if they mount the kerb. Parking at dropped kerbs and double parking will also be banned, with an exemption for delivery drivers.
>
> Councillor Scott Arthur, Transport and Environment Convener, said: “Outstanding works on Elm Row are still being finalised following the completion of the tram line to Newhaven, including the parking provision.
>
> "Longer term, we will be exploring further pedestrianisation in the area which will result in minor changes.”
>
> https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/news/edinburgh-news/busy-edinburgh-street-becomes-parking-28148622

May Sun INSISTS that Edinburgh is in Northern Ireland.

Re: Northern Ireland drivers to face fines under new rules to crackdown on pavement parking

<b34c7c31-ebd8-4b66-a3d3-97076f80681cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=37665&group=uk.rec.cycling#37665

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2024 12:31:39 -0800 (PST)
crackdown on pavement parking
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Wed, 7 Feb 2024 20:31 UTC

Scotland’s largest local authority will soon crack down on pavement and double parking by fining drivers under legislation introduced at the end of last year.

Drivers will start to receive penalty charge notices of £100 for parking on pavements or double parking in Glasgow “in the near future”, the council said, but a date has not yet been confirmed as a new software system will have to be implemented.

Some motorists have begun seeing warning notices on their vehicles in areas where problem parking has been identified.

City of Edinburgh Council became the first in Scotland to enforce the ban on pavement parking on January 29.

Local authorities were given powers to stop vehicles from parking on pavements by the Transport (Scotland) Act 2019, which came into effect in December.

The rules are designed to protect pavement users – especially those in wheelchairs or pushing buggies – who may be forced on to the road by vehicles taking up the pavement..

Councillor Angus Millar, Glasgow City Council’s convener for transport, said: “Pavement parking and other types of problematic parking deters people from walking in their communities and can create safety issues for wheelchair users and people pushing prams.

“The new powers that allow enforcement against pavement parking, double parking and parking next to dropped kerbs will help us tackle the many complaints we receive from concerned residents across the city.

“To raise awareness of the new powers, we have been issuing warning notices to drivers in various parts of the city where problem parking has been identified.

“We hope this approach will encourage drivers to make changes to how they park their vehicles before they risk being issued with a £100 penalty charge notice.

“Our back office systems are being updated in line with the new legislation and aim to begin full enforcement of the new powers in the near future.

“We are also undertaking a full assessment of the roads network to help us establish if it would be appropriate to exempt any streets from a pavement parking ban.”

https://www.ireland-live.ie/news/scotland/1417010/city-plans-pavement-parking-crackdown-under-new-legislation.html

TROLLING from MAY SUN: "Northern Ireland drivers to face fines under new rules to crackdown on pavement parking" [No chav-cycle content]

<l2igvpFen30U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=37677&group=uk.rec.cycling#37677

From: jnugent97@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
new rules to crackdown on pavement parking" [No chav-cycle content]
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2024 23:10:49 +0000
 by: JNugent - Wed, 7 Feb 2024 23:10 UTC

On 07/02/2024 08:31 pm, Simon Mason wrote:

> Scotland’s largest local authority will soon crack down on pavement and double parking by fining drivers under legislation introduced at the end of last year.
>
> Drivers will start to receive penalty charge notices of £100 for parking on pavements or double parking in Glasgow “in the near future”, the council said, but a date has not yet been confirmed as a new software system will have to be implemented.
>
> Some motorists have begun seeing warning notices on their vehicles in areas where problem parking has been identified.
>
> City of Edinburgh Council became the first in Scotland to enforce the ban on pavement parking on January 29.
>
> Local authorities were given powers to stop vehicles from parking on pavements by the Transport (Scotland) Act 2019, which came into effect in December.
>
> The rules are designed to protect pavement users – especially those in wheelchairs or pushing buggies – who may be forced on to the road by vehicles taking up the pavement..
>
> Councillor Angus Millar, Glasgow City Council’s convener for transport, said: “Pavement parking and other types of problematic parking deters people from walking in their communities and can create safety issues for wheelchair users and people pushing prams.
>
> “The new powers that allow enforcement against pavement parking, double parking and parking next to dropped kerbs will help us tackle the many complaints we receive from concerned residents across the city.
>
> “To raise awareness of the new powers, we have been issuing warning notices to drivers in various parts of the city where problem parking has been identified.
>
> “We hope this approach will encourage drivers to make changes to how they park their vehicles before they risk being issued with a £100 penalty charge notice.
>
> “Our back office systems are being updated in line with the new legislation and aim to begin full enforcement of the new powers in the near future.
>
> “We are also undertaking a full assessment of the roads network to help us establish if it would be appropriate to exempt any streets from a pavement parking ban.”
>
> https://www.ireland-live.ie/news/scotland/1417010/city-plans-pavement-parking-crackdown-under-new-legislation.html

No chav-cycle content - And he "thinks" that Scotland is in Northern
Ireland!

Re: Northern Ireland drivers to face fines under new rules to crackdown on pavement parking

<ddf2235b-5308-4784-b587-b01748c446c2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=37687&group=uk.rec.cycling#37687

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2024 00:16:24 -0800 (PST)
crackdown on pavement parking
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Thu, 8 Feb 2024 08:16 UTC

Edinburgh has become the first local authority in Scotland to ban pavement parking.

Drivers who park on pavements, dropped kerbs, or double park could be fined up to £100 as part of the new crackdown.

The ban, which officially began on December 11, 2023, is being enforced from Monday (January 29, 2024).

New rules will aim to address the "inconvenience" which "inconsiderate" parking causes to all road users, but particularly those with mobility issues, visual impairments, and people with pushchairs.

Edinburgh guide dog owner Elaine MacKenzie has said she was terrified when pavement parking forced her to walk on the road (Image: Edinburgh council)

The new rules come after national regulations giving councils the power to enforce came into effect in December last year.

The City of Edinburgh Council argues parking on pavements prevents people walking safely down streets and can be hazardous for people pushing prams or those with disabilities.

Read more: Date set for enforcement of city's pavement parking ban

Pavement parking also causes damage to pavements, which is expensive to repair and can become a trip hazard, the council said.

Meanwhile, double parking can make it dangerous for vulnerable people to cross roads safely.

It prevents people in wheelchairs crossing the road when vehicles are parked next to dropped kerbs, and it can prevent communal bins from being emptied.

Re: Northern Ireland drivers to face fines under new rules to crackdown on pavement parking

<l2kp3dFqp2iU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=37706&group=uk.rec.cycling#37706

From: jnugent97@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
crackdown on pavement parking
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2024 19:41:32 +0000
 by: JNugent - Thu, 8 Feb 2024 19:41 UTC

On 08/02/2024 08:16 am, Simon Mason wrote:

> Edinburgh has become the first local authority in Scotland to ban pavement parking.
>
> Drivers who park on pavements, dropped kerbs, or double park could be fined up to £100 as part of the new crackdown.
>
> The ban, which officially began on December 11, 2023, is being enforced from Monday (January 29, 2024).
>
> New rules will aim to address the "inconvenience" which "inconsiderate" parking causes to chav-cyclists using the FOOTways.
[ .. ]

FIFY

Re: Northern Ireland drivers to face fines under new rules to crackdown on pavement parking

<b999bee2-0cbc-4a33-b99d-b3b00428a3c5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=37712&group=uk.rec.cycling#37712

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2024 20:27:45 -0800 (PST)
crackdown on pavement parking
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Fri, 9 Feb 2024 04:27 UTC

More than 200 fines were issued to drivers in Edinburgh in the first week of a crackdown on parking on pavements.

New figures show parking attendants handed out 218 fixed penalty notices from when the rules started to be enforced on Monday, January 29 until the end Tuesday, February 6. Of those, 179 were for pavement parking, 11 were for parking at a dropped kerb and another 28 were for double parking.

The Capital became the first Scottish local authority to start fining motorists after the Scottish Government allowed councils to introduce bans. Drivers are fined £100 for each infringement with the sum reduced to £50 if it is paid within 14 days.

City chiefs claim the move will help to free up space for pedestrians, especially those with wheelchairs and prams. Attendants are focusing their efforts on busy streets and those where problems with illegal parking have been reported.

A poll by the local authority suggested most residents of the city were in favour of the new rules, but some motorists have worried about the impact on residential streets with limited spaces. City council transport convener Scott Arthur celebrated the figures by sharing them on social media.

And he told The Scotsman: “We introduced these changes to make our streets safer and more accessible for everyone, and we’re already seeing more considerate parking across the city.

"I’ve heard from people too, including those with visual impairments or mobility issues, who really appreciate clear and passable pavements as a result of the ban.”

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/more-than-200-edinburgh-drivers-4511133

Re: Northern Ireland drivers to face fines under new rules to crackdown on pavement parking [TROLL POST - no chav-cycling content]

<l2mttvF7fqpU4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=37722&group=uk.rec.cycling#37722

From: jnugent97@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
crackdown on pavement parking [TROLL POST - no chav-cycling content]
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2024 15:16:15 +0000
 by: JNugent - Fri, 9 Feb 2024 15:16 UTC

On 09/02/2024 04:27 am, Simon Mason wrote:

> More than 200 fines were issued to drivers in Edinburgh in the first week of a crackdown on parking on pavements.
>
> New figures show parking attendants handed out 218 fixed penalty notices from when the rules started to be enforced on Monday, January 29 until the end Tuesday, February 6. Of those, 179 were for pavement parking, 11 were for parking at a dropped kerb and another 28 were for double parking.
>
> The Capital became the first Scottish local authority to start fining motorists after the Scottish Government allowed councils to introduce bans. Drivers are fined £100 for each infringement with the sum reduced to £50 if it is paid within 14 days.
>
> City chiefs claim the move will help to free up space for pedestrians, especially those with wheelchairs and prams. Attendants are focusing their efforts on busy streets and those where problems with illegal parking have been reported.
>
> A poll by the local authority suggested most residents of the city were in favour of the new rules, but some motorists have worried about the impact on residential streets with limited spaces. City council transport convener Scott Arthur celebrated the figures by sharing them on social media.
>
> And he told The Scotsman: “We introduced these changes to make our streets safer and more accessible for everyone, and we’re already seeing more considerate parking across the city.
>
> "I’ve heard from people too, including those with visual impairments or mobility issues, who really appreciate clear and passable pavements as a result of the ban.”
>
> https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/more-than-200-edinburgh-drivers-4511133

May Sun STILL "thinks" that Edinburgh is in Northern Ireland.

Re: Northern Ireland drivers to face fines under new rules to crackdown on pavement parking

<1e24bbdb-777b-48fd-b4f6-242bc1050952n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=37725&group=uk.rec.cycling#37725

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2024 08:48:53 -0800 (PST)
crackdown on pavement parking
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Fri, 9 Feb 2024 16:48 UTC

Moray Council could offer the police up to £10,000 as a temporary measure to clamp down on 'pavement parking' in Elgin town centre.

Illegal parking on Batchen Street is being singled out as being a particular danger to pedestrians.

The local authority is therefore thinking of covering the costs if the police devote extra resources to enforcing parking regulations.

Speaking at a council meeting yesterday, Graham Leadbitter (Elgin South, SNP) said: "I can't state loudly enough that pavement parking is one of the most significant risks to the public.

"What you've got every single day on Batchen Street are large numbers of parked cars – sometimes in double figures.

"People pushing prams or in wheelchairs are having to go into the middle of the road to get past them while other cars are using it."

Another effect of illegal parking on Batchen Street, cllr Leadbitter continued, is that passing cars are having to drive within 2ft of shop doorways.

This has resulted in Against the Grain putting up a sign warning its customers to take care as they leave the bar and step out onto the street.

Cllr Leadbitter said: "No business should be forced to have to do something like that."

Yesterday's meeting of the council's economic development committee heard of a recent incident that could have ended in tragedy.

A vehicle parked outside the post office rolled back about 50ft down Batchen Street because its handbrake wasn't on properly

Fortunately, rather than picking up more speed and hitting anyone, it came to a halt after veering into the front of the Planta pizzeria.

The £10,000 to pay the police's costs in time and labour would come from the coffers of the Elgin common good fund.

Speaking yesterday Sandy Keith (Elgin North, Labour) stated that all six of the councillors who represent Elgin on the local authority agreed that dealing with illegal parking would be a good use of the money.

A report on offering the common good cash will be now brought before the full council in March.

Batchen Street is supposed to be pedestrian-only, with the only vehicles allowed being those that are loading or unloading.

However, the council has been forced to open it up to traffic for the past five years due to the ongoing restoration work on the Poundland building.

That work has required North Street to shut while it takes place, leaving Batchen Street as the only way for traffic to exit the High Street.

Originally scheduled to finish in June 2022, the restoration work is due to be completed at some point this year.

It was stated several times in yesterday's meeting that this should improve the situation as retractable traffic bollards could then be placed at the bottom of Batchen Street.

This would allow the road to revet back to being pedestrianised, but still provide access for specific vehicles to load and unload.

Re: Northern Ireland drivers to face fines under new rules to crackdown on pavement parking

<l2nd41Fa4mjU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=37731&group=uk.rec.cycling#37731

From: jnugent97@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
crackdown on pavement parking
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2024 19:35:29 +0000
 by: JNugent - Fri, 9 Feb 2024 19:35 UTC

On 09/02/2024 04:48 pm, Simon Mason wrote:

> Moray Council could offer the police up to £10,000 as a temporary measure to clamp down on 'pavement parking' in Elgin town centre.
>
> Illegal parking on Batchen Street is being singled out as being a particular danger to pedestrians.
>
> The local authority is therefore thinking of covering the costs if the police devote extra resources to enforcing parking regulations.
>
> Speaking at a council meeting yesterday, Graham Leadbitter (Elgin South, SNP) said: "I can't state loudly enough that pavement parking is one of the most significant risks to the public.
>
> "What you've got every single day on Batchen Street are large numbers of parked cars – sometimes in double figures.
>
> "People pushing prams or in wheelchairs are having to go into the middle of the road to get past them while other cars are using it."
>
> Another effect of illegal parking on Batchen Street, cllr Leadbitter continued, is that passing cars are having to drive within 2ft of shop doorways.
>
> This has resulted in Against the Grain putting up a sign warning its customers to take care as they leave the bar and step out onto the street.
>
> Cllr Leadbitter said: "No business should be forced to have to do something like that."
>
> Yesterday's meeting of the council's economic development committee heard of a recent incident that could have ended in tragedy.
>
> A vehicle parked outside the post office rolled back about 50ft down Batchen Street because its handbrake wasn't on properly
>
> Fortunately, rather than picking up more speed and hitting anyone, it came to a halt after veering into the front of the Planta pizzeria.
>
> The £10,000 to pay the police's costs in time and labour would come from the coffers of the Elgin common good fund.
>
> Speaking yesterday Sandy Keith (Elgin North, Labour) stated that all six of the councillors who represent Elgin on the local authority agreed that dealing with illegal parking would be a good use of the money.
>
> A report on offering the common good cash will be now brought before the full council in March.
>
> Batchen Street is supposed to be pedestrian-only, with the only vehicles allowed being those that are loading or unloading.
>
> However, the council has been forced to open it up to traffic for the past five years due to the ongoing restoration work on the Poundland building.
>
> That work has required North Street to shut while it takes place, leaving Batchen Street as the only way for traffic to exit the High Street.
>
> Originally scheduled to finish in June 2022, the restoration work is due to be completed at some point this year.
>
> It was stated several times in yesterday's meeting that this should improve the situation as retractable traffic bollards could then be placed at the bottom of Batchen Street.
>
> This would allow the road to revet back to being pedestrianised, but still provide access for specific vehicles to load and unload.

May Sun "thinks" that Elgin is in Northern Ireland.

Re: Northern Ireland drivers to face fines under new rules to crackdown on pavement parking

<08661745-41dc-44c2-af5f-f1decaf7494en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=37733&group=uk.rec.cycling#37733

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2024 11:39:46 -0800 (PST)
crackdown on pavement parking
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Fri, 9 Feb 2024 19:39 UTC

DRIVERS who leave their cars across dropped kerbs in a Gwent borough have been warned a clampdown on illegal parking is due to start.

Action on the issue, that can cause difficulties for parents with prams and even block wheelchair users or those in mobility scooters from moving around freely, was promised in January.

Now Mark Thomas, Torfaen council’s highways deputy, has said the borough’s civil enforcement team of parking wardens is “back up to relatively full strength they will be tasked with targeting dropped kerbs as they are patrolling to ensure they are protected.”

The officer said a ticket can be placed on vehicles blocking a dropped kerb and there is no need for a traffic order, or sign, marking the kerb such as there is on restricted parking spaces.

Cwmbran St Dial’s independent councillor Elizabeth Haynes welcomed the announcement during the council’s cleaner communities scrutiny committee and said: “Hallelujah to the comment about enforcing the parking on dropped kerbs.”

Panteg Labour member Norma Parish asked what the council was doing to deal with issues such as parking on dropped kerbs as part of its efforts to promote walking and cycling.

Road safety officer Pat Barnes said the Welsh Government has delayed its legislation which will allow councils to take enforcement action against drivers who park on pavements in recognition of the amount of work required to introduce the 20 mile per hour speed limit in buit up areas this year.

But he said it isn’t only drivers who cause obstructions for pedestrians, especially those with disabilities.

He said: “It’s not just limited to pavement parking a lot of properties have hedges that are massively overgrown, there’s a lot of excess green foliage owned by private individuals that is as much of challenge as pavement parking. Our focus on pavement blockages and obstructions should not just be limited to vehicles.”

He said every walking and cycling route the council develops is step free, or there may be steps “complimentary” to ramps.

Mr Barnes said cash from the council’s budget for walking and cycling routes is also ring fenced to put in more dropped kerbs but said: “It’s a drop in the ocean”.

Active travel officer Donna Edwards has also marked every dropped kerb on the county’s mapping system, so people are aware of accessible routes, and Mr Barnes said the department is “always looking” for additional funding to create more access points.

Ms Edwards, in reply to a question from Cllr Haynes, said she has accompanied groups for the visually impaired and disabled on walks to assess routes.