From: mungo@invalid.not (Mungo Jerry)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: [Motor][Cycling] Motorbikers face far higher road risk, say figures
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2024 12:57:49 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mungo Jerry - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 12:57 UTC

Motorcyclists on north Wales roads are 50 times more likely to be killed
or seriously injured than other drivers, statistics show.

Although they make up only about 1% of vehicles on the area's roads, they
represent 32% of all fatal casualties in north Wales.

They are also 18 times more likely than car and taxi occupants to be in
an accident.

Occupants of other vehicles accounted for about 41% of fatalities.

The number of motorcyclist casualties remains the same, while other
groups have seen reductions.

Gwynedd has seen the highest volume of casualties killed or seriously
injured, although there has been some decrease from the previous year of
2022 in the county and across north Wales.

North Wales Police said some riders were impaired by alcohol and drugs,
although the number was small.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cnlngn0ggz2o

Re: [Motor][Cycling] Motorbikers face far higher road risk, say figures

<l29homFrl0vU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=37542&group=uk.rec.cycling#37542

From: jnugent97@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: [Motor][Cycling] Motorbikers face far higher road risk, say
figures
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2024 13:28:54 +0000
 by: JNugent - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 13:28 UTC

On 04/02/2024 12:57 pm, Mungo Jerry wrote:

> Motorcyclists on north Wales roads are 50 times more likely to be killed
> or seriously injured than other drivers, statistics show.
>
> Although they make up only about 1% of vehicles on the area's roads, they
> represent 32% of all fatal casualties in north Wales.
>
> They are also 18 times more likely than car and taxi occupants to be in
> an accident.
>
> Occupants of other vehicles accounted for about 41% of fatalities.
>
> The number of motorcyclist casualties remains the same, while other
> groups have seen reductions.
>
> Gwynedd has seen the highest volume of casualties killed or seriously
> injured, although there has been some decrease from the previous year of
> 2022 in the county and across north Wales.
>
> North Wales Police said some riders were impaired by alcohol and drugs,
> although the number was small.
>
> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cnlngn0ggz2o

None of the above comes as any surprise. At least two people I knew
personally were killed in single-vehicle motor-cycle accidents (a fair
while back - in the 1970s).

The vulnerability of motor cyclists, especially if travelling at higher
speeds is well-known.

Gwynedd is North West Wales, isn't it? Including the coastal holiday
towns and the Snowdonia national park? And easily-reached from
Liverpool, Manchester, Stoke and Birmingham?

Re: [Motor][Cycling] Motorbikers face far higher road risk, say figures

<upo7o0$3mfs3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=37550&group=uk.rec.cycling#37550

From: mungo@invalid.not (Mungo Jerry)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
figures
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2024 14:42:08 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mungo Jerry - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 14:42 UTC

On Sun, 04 Feb 2024 13:28:54 +0000, JNugent wrote:

> On 04/02/2024 12:57 pm, Mungo Jerry wrote:
>
>> Motorcyclists on north Wales roads are 50 times more likely to be
>> killed or seriously injured than other drivers, statistics show.
>>
>> Although they make up only about 1% of vehicles on the area's roads,
>> they represent 32% of all fatal casualties in north Wales.
>>
>> They are also 18 times more likely than car and taxi occupants to be in
>> an accident.
>>
>> Occupants of other vehicles accounted for about 41% of fatalities.
>>
>> The number of motorcyclist casualties remains the same, while other
>> groups have seen reductions.
>>
>> Gwynedd has seen the highest volume of casualties killed or seriously
>> injured, although there has been some decrease from the previous year
>> of 2022 in the county and across north Wales.
>>
>> North Wales Police said some riders were impaired by alcohol and drugs,
>> although the number was small.
>>
>> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cnlngn0ggz2o
>
> None of the above comes as any surprise. At least two people I knew
> personally were killed in single-vehicle motor-cycle accidents (a fair
> while back - in the 1970s).

Were any of them killed while riding their high performance sports
motorcycles on snow bound roads?

> The vulnerability of motor cyclists, especially if travelling at higher
> speeds is well-known.

Not helped by the foolish bravado of some.

> Gwynedd is North West Wales, isn't it? Including the coastal holiday
> towns and the Snowdonia national park? And easily-reached from
> Liverpool, Manchester, Stoke and Birmingham?

Yes, popular motorcycling country within easy reach of some major urban
areas.

Re: [Motor][Cycling] Motorbikers face far higher road risk, say figures

<l2a08uFu2m4U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=37552&group=uk.rec.cycling#37552

From: jnugent97@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
figures
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2024 17:36:30 +0000
 by: JNugent - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 17:36 UTC

On 04/02/2024 02:42 pm, Mungo Jerry wrote:

> On Sun, 04 Feb 2024 13:28:54 +0000, JNugent wrote:
>
>> On 04/02/2024 12:57 pm, Mungo Jerry wrote:
>>
>>> Motorcyclists on north Wales roads are 50 times more likely to be
>>> killed or seriously injured than other drivers, statistics show.
>>> Although they make up only about 1% of vehicles on the area's roads,
>>> they represent 32% of all fatal casualties in north Wales.
>>> They are also 18 times more likely than car and taxi occupants to be in
>>> an accident.
>>> Occupants of other vehicles accounted for about 41% of fatalities.
>>> The number of motorcyclist casualties remains the same, while other
>>> groups have seen reductions.
>>> Gwynedd has seen the highest volume of casualties killed or seriously
>>> injured, although there has been some decrease from the previous year
>>> of 2022 in the county and across north Wales.
>>> North Wales Police said some riders were impaired by alcohol and drugs,
>>> although the number was small.

>>> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cnlngn0ggz2o
>
>> None of the above comes as any surprise. At least two people I knew
>> personally were killed in single-vehicle motor-cycle accidents (a fair
>> while back - in the 1970s).
>
> Were any of them killed while riding their high performance sports
> motorcycles on snow bound roads?

Road-going machines on A-roads, I'm sure.

>> The vulnerability of motor cyclists, especially if travelling at higher
>> speeds is well-known.
>
> Not helped by the foolish bravado of some.
>
>> Gwynedd is North West Wales, isn't it? Including the coastal holiday
>> towns and the Snowdonia national park? And easily-reached from
>> Liverpool, Manchester, Stoke and Birmingham?
>
> Yes, popular motorcycling country within easy reach of some major urban
> areas.

That's what I thought.

There's also the Cat & Fiddle route.