Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2024 22:06:13 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Driver jailed for a year for causing horror crash with cyclist
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Tue, 6 Feb 2024 06:06 UTC

This is the horrifying moment a cyclist was sent spinning into the air after being hit by a driver who pulled out in front of her.

The cyclist, aged 71, was left with a bleed on the brain, broken shoulder and broken ankle and spent five days in hospital.

Today we're releasing the footage, with the agreement of the victim, to highlight the responsibility drivers have to more vulnerable road users

The driver of the Citroen C3 Flair, Thomas Freeman, aged 29, has now been jailed for a year following the collision, which happened on 6 May on Wildcroft Road at its junction with Brookside Avenue in Coventry.

Freeman, of Torrington Avenue, Coventry, admitted causing serious injury by careless driving.He was also banned from driving for two years when he appeared at Warwick Crown Court on December 21, following a probe by our Traffic Investigations Unit (TIU).

T/Sgt Jordan Keen, from our TIU, said: “This was an appalling piece of careless driving which left the cyclist badly injured.

“She is an experienced cyclist and a member of a local cycling club, but it’s clear from the footage that Freeman’s careless driving when crossing the junction meant she stood no chance.

“I hope that drivers who see this footage know that they have a responsibility to more vulnerable road users out there, such as cyclists and pedestrians.”

https://www.west-midlands.police.uk/news/driver-jailed-year-causing-horror-crash-cyclist