yo-yo, n.: Something that is occasionally up but normally down. (see also Computer).

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Careless driver hit cyclist in Barrow rounabout collision

SubjectAuthor
* Careless driver hit cyclist in Barrow rounabout collisionSimon Mason
+- Re: Careless driver hit cyclist in Barrow rounabout [sic] collision [At last, a JNugent
`- Re: Careless driver hit cyclist in Barrow rounabout collisionSimon Mason

1
Careless driver hit cyclist in Barrow rounabout collision

<cbff142c-b119-4e14-b3f2-1e1561be5429n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=37642&group=uk.rec.cycling#37642

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2024 04:03:28 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Careless driver hit cyclist in Barrow rounabout collision
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Wed, 7 Feb 2024 12:03 UTC

A CYCLIST was flung into the air and broke several bones after being hit by a careless driver travelling at 'high speed', a court heard.

Jamie Milton was estimated to have been travelling at 40mph when he collided with cyclist Mark Gilbert at a roundabout near Barrow town centre.

The motorist pleaded guilty to causing serious injury with his careless driving when he appeared before South Cumbria Magistrates' Court, admitting he failed to check his right-hand window.

Prosecutor Lee Dacre said the incident happened at around 7.30pm on July 27 2022 where Hindpool Road meets Abbey Road.

He described how Mr Gilbert had been travelling on his bike out of the Tesco car park and towards Abbey Road when Milton was driving Vauxhall Astra along Hindpool Road.

Milton collided with Mr Gilbert at the roundabout, sending the rider into the air.

The cyclist told police before the collision he saw a car 'travelling at high speed directly towards me'.

The court heard that as a result of the collision, Mr Gilbert sustained injuries including broken vertebra (sic), a broken pelvis and broken ribs.

Opening up on the mental effect of the incident, Mr Gilbert told police: "I've suffered issues with depression which I was prescribed medication for and I've had therapy from a psychologist to help me get out and about on my bike again."

He also said he had to move back in with his parents due to the injuries and was off work for four months before returning to light duties.

In mitigation, the court was told on Milton's behalf the incident followed an 'error of judgement after someone had pulled out in front of him'.

The driver was said to have been affected by a car on his left side and had to slam the brakes in the moments before the collision with the cyclist.

He then failed to sufficiently check his right-hand side before colliding with Mr Gilbert, the court heard.

The court was told Milton did not expect to see a cyclist in the area due to nearby cycle lanes.

For the offence, the 34-year-old defendant, of Barrow's Monks Brow, was ordered to carry out 100 hours of unpaid work.

He was handed a 12-month ban from driving.

https://www.nwemail.co.uk/news/24101435.careless-driver-hit-cyclist-barrow-rounabout-collision/

Re: Careless driver hit cyclist in Barrow rounabout [sic] collision [At last, a May Sun post mentioning chav-cycling]

<l2hge9F9837U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=37644&group=uk.rec.cycling#37644

From: jnugent97@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Careless driver hit cyclist in Barrow rounabout [sic] collision
[At last, a May Sun post mentioning chav-cycling]
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2024 13:55:21 +0000
 by: JNugent - Wed, 7 Feb 2024 13:55 UTC

On 07/02/2024 12:03 pm, Simon Mason wrote:

> A CYCLIST was flung into the air and broke several bones after being hit by a careless driver travelling at 'high speed', a court heard.
>
> Jamie Milton was estimated to have been travelling at 40mph when he collided with cyclist Mark Gilbert at a roundabout near Barrow town centre.

A. How much credence may be placed in the accuracy of the "estimate"?
Any at all?

B. What was the speed limit?

> The motorist pleaded guilty to causing serious injury with his careless driving when he appeared before South Cumbria Magistrates' Court, admitting he failed to check his right-hand window.

Was there a problem with the RH window as well?

What was it?

> Prosecutor Lee Dacre said the incident happened at around 7.30pm on July 27 2022 where Hindpool Road meets Abbey Road.
> He described how Mr Gilbert had been travelling on his bike out of the Tesco car park and towards Abbey Road when Milton was driving Vauxhall Astra along Hindpool Road.
> Milton collided with Mr Gilbert at the roundabout, sending the rider into the air.
> The cyclist told police before the collision he saw a car 'travelling at high speed directly towards me'.

Define "high speed". Explain how chavs on chav-bikes are somehow able to
divine speed visually.

> The court heard that as a result of the collision, Mr Gilbert sustained injuries including broken vertebra (sic), a broken pelvis and broken ribs.
> Opening up on the mental effect of the incident, Mr Gilbert told police: "I've suffered issues with depression which I was prescribed medication for and I've had therapy from a psychologist to help me get out and about on my bike again."

Compensation ("compo") setting in?

> He also said he had to move back in with his parents due to the injuries

Why?

> and was off work for four months before returning to light duties.
> In mitigation, the court was told on Milton's behalf the incident followed an 'error of judgement after someone had pulled out in front of him'.
> The driver was said to have been affected by a car on his left side and had to slam the brakes in the moments before the collision with the cyclist.
> He then failed to sufficiently check his right-hand side before colliding with Mr Gilbert, the court heard.

Sounds like a change in direction to avoid a collision with a vehicle
incorrectly on his left side. If I were driving a vehicle containing my
family and there was a choice of a nearside collision or a move to the
right, I know what I would do. And it would not be to collide with the
vehicle on the left.

> The court was told Milton did not expect to see a cyclist in the area due to nearby cycle lanes.
> For the offence, the 34-year-old defendant, of Barrow's Monks Brow, was ordered to carry out 100 hours of unpaid work.
> He was handed a 12-month ban from driving.

Harsh.

> https://www.nwemail.co.uk/news/24101435.careless-driver-hit-cyclist-barrow-rounabout-collision/

Re: Careless driver hit cyclist in Barrow rounabout collision

<d3e62760-1f79-44c6-9928-fcb3249d3215n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=37659&group=uk.rec.cycling#37659

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2024 08:21:57 -0800 (PST)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Wed, 7 Feb 2024 16:21 UTC

QUOTE: The court was told Milton did not expect to see a cyclist in the area due to nearby cycle lanes. ENDS

So he would be equally surprised to see a pedestrian ANYWHERE other than a footpath?
This idiot is clueless and a danger to everyone.