Thank God I'm an atheist.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / GB NEWS: New parking laws 'needed urgently' to give councils extra powers to fine drivers breaking rules

SubjectAuthor
* GB NEWS: New parking laws 'needed urgently' to give councils extra powers to finSimon Mason
+- Re: GB NEWS: New parking laws 'needed urgently' to give councils extra powers toJNugent
`* Re: GB NEWS: New parking laws 'needed urgently' to give councils extra powers toSimon Mason
 +* Re: GB NEWS: New parking laws 'needed urgently' to give councils extra powers toJNugent
 |`- Re: GB NEWS: New parking laws 'needed urgently' to give councils extra powers toSpike
 `* Re: GB NEWS: New parking laws 'needed urgently' to give councils extra powers toSimon Mason
  `- Re: GB NEWS: New parking laws 'needed urgently' to give councils extra powers toSimon Mason

1
GB NEWS: New parking laws 'needed urgently' to give councils extra powers to fine drivers breaking rules

<9d2fa7ce-e714-4556-aa48-6e636506f7d0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=37743&group=uk.rec.cycling#37743

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2024 04:08:38 -0800 (PST)
Subject: GB NEWS: New parking laws 'needed urgently' to give councils extra
powers to fine drivers breaking rules
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Sat, 10 Feb 2024 12:08 UTC

Experts are calling on the Government to urgently introduce new parking laws to address issues with people leaving their cars on pavements.

A consultation was launched more than three years ago looking into the viability of banning pavement parking across England, as is the case already in London.

The Local Government Association (LGA) is now calling on central Government to ban pavement parking in a bid to make streets safer for all road users.

In most instances, the elderly, disabled people using wheelchairs, parents with pushchairs and people with sight issues are forced to enter the road to get around poorly parked vehicles.

Pavement parking can also damage and crack the surface, making it even more difficult for pedestrians to use the pavements and requiring expensive repairs.

The LGA, which represents councils in England and Wales, said new laws for England were “long overdue”, adding that local authorities would be able to use the rules to promote active travel.

A new report highlighted how councils are facing serious challenges with the difficulty in maintaining footways, as well as the “bureaucratic hurdles” in obtaining Traffic Regulation Orders.

Councillor Darren Rodwell, transport spokesperson for the LGA, said: “Pavement parking is one of the biggest complaints from pedestrians, but three years on, councils outside of London still do not have the powers they need to tackle this scourge.

https://www.gbnews.com/lifestyle/cars/parking-laws-needed-urgently-council-powers-pavement-fines

Re: GB NEWS: New parking laws 'needed urgently' to give councils extra powers to fine drivers breaking rules

<l2pge4Fm2jiU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=37748&group=uk.rec.cycling#37748

From: jnugent97@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: GB NEWS: New parking laws 'needed urgently' to give councils
extra powers to fine drivers breaking rules
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2024 14:44:20 +0000
 by: JNugent - Sat, 10 Feb 2024 14:44 UTC

On 10/02/2024 12:08 pm, Simon Mason wrote:

> Experts are calling on the Government to urgently introduce new parking laws to address issues with people leaving their cars on pavements.

"Experts" on what, exactly?

Many of us are undoubted experts on something or other. But so what?

> A consultation was launched more than three years ago looking into the viability of banning pavement parking across England, as is the case already in London.
> The Local Government Association (LGA) is now calling on central Government to ban pavement parking in a bid to make streets safer for all road users.

That is not for the government. The London legal provisions were not
imposed on London by Parliament. Greater London sought the powers it has
by sponsoring a private Bill through Parliament (something many councils
have done over the centuries).

> In most instances, the elderly, disabled people using wheelchairs, parents with pushchairs and people with sight issues are forced to enter the road to get around poorly parked vehicles.

And it causes severe delays - sometimes as long as two seconds - to poor
lamb chav-cyclists who are simply trying to get along the FOOTway as
fast as possible and don't want to have to take account of anything or
anybody else. What could BE more reasonable than that?

> Pavement parking can also damage and crack the surface, making it even more difficult for pedestrians to use the pavements and requiring expensive repairs.
> The LGA, which represents councils in England and Wales, said new laws for England were “long overdue”, adding that local authorities would be able to use the rules to promote active travel.
> A new report highlighted how councils are facing serious challenges with the difficulty in maintaining footways, as well as the “bureaucratic hurdles” in obtaining Traffic Regulation Orders.
> Councillor Darren Rodwell, transport spokesperson for the LGA, said: “Pavement parking is one of the biggest complaints from pedestrians, but three years on, councils outside of London still do not have the powers they need to tackle this scourge.

> https://www.gbnews.com/lifestyle/cars/parking-laws-needed-urgently-council-powers-pavement-fines

Re: GB NEWS: New parking laws 'needed urgently' to give councils extra powers to fine drivers breaking rules

<dbab8e69-e10a-4e15-906b-f36c099a1829n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=37752&group=uk.rec.cycling#37752

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2024 09:59:39 -0800 (PST)
extra powers to fine drivers breaking rules
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Sat, 10 Feb 2024 17:59 UTC

Councils have called on the Government to ban pavement parking across the whole of England - not just London - and punish motorists who block footpaths, especially for vulnerable and disabled people.

The Local Government Association (LGA) says more powers need to be given to local authorities to enforce parking to make our streets safer and 'tackle the scourge' of drivers who prevent access for those in mobility scooters, wheelchairs and children in buggies.

The demand for enforcement powers comes more than three years after the Department for Transport wrapped up a consultation into pavement parking, which has seen no action taken as a result.

Often, when motorists park partially - and sometimes fully - on the pavement, it is due to how narrow a road is.

By putting at least two wheels on the footpath, drivers provide more room for other motorists to pass through tight spaces, reducing the likelihood of vehicle-to-vehicle damage as well as traffic delays.

However, this often has a detrimental impact for pedestrians - especially those with mobility issues.

The LGA says older and disabled people, as well as parents with pushchairs and younger children, are regularly forced to navigate around vehicles which are mounted on the kerb or across the footway.

By doing so, it puts these pedestrians at greater risk when stepping into the road and oncoming traffic.

The association says this presents arguably the greatest hazard to blind and partially sighted people.

Yet, there is a secondary impact resulting from heavy vehicles parking on footpaths that are not designed to take such loads.

It can cause pavements to crack and damage the surface, which in turn creates trip and injury hazards for pedestrians.
Pavement parking is currently only banned in London, where councils have powers to exempt certain roads.

Following call from various groups, in 2020, the Government launched a consultation to look into extending the ban to across the whole of England.

However, an announcement has yet to be made regarding the findings and what changes could be made to legislation to help councils crackdown on pavement parking.

In the meantime, Scotland has this year introduced a nationwide parking ban..

Local authorities as of January 2024 can now dish out fines of £100 if they identify drivers parking on pavements and blocking the footway for pedestrians. The fine amount is reduced to £50 if paid within 14 days.

A consultation is also set to take place in Wales on introducing restrictions on pavement parking.

The call for pavement parking to be outlawed across England comes weeks after green transport campaigners warned that new models are getting wider on average by 1cm every two years - and many cars are now too wide for on-street parking bays.

Transport & Environment blamed the rise of 'mega SUVs' for taking up more of our streets, bulging out of parking spaces and 'bullying cyclists off the road'.

The LGA, which represents councils in England and Wales, said a change in the rules is 'now long overdue'.

It says more enforcement powers will help councils meet national targets to encourage more walking and cycling, while protecting older and vulnerable people from injury.

Cllr Darren Rodwell, transport spokesperson for the LGA, added: 'Pavement parking is one of the biggest complaints from pedestrians, but three years on, councils outside of London still do not have the powers they need to tackle this scourge.

'Vulnerable and disabled people, including wheelchair users as well as parents with pushchairs are forced into the road due to some drivers' inconsiderate parking, presenting a real hazard and potential danger to life.

'Repairing kerbs and pavements damaged by pavement parking is also expensive and this funding could be better used to resurface our roads and pavements, support local buses and provide more suitable parking.

'If we are to meet the Government's ambition for half of all trips in England's towns and cities to be walked, wheeled or cycled by 2030, then it makes sense to give councils across the country the same powers as in the capital, making our streets safer and footpaths open for everyone.'

This is Money contacted the Department for Transport for response.

A DfT spokesperson told us: 'Everyone should be able to navigate their streets without obstacles, and while local authorities already have powers to prohibit pavement parking through local regulation, we have consulted on further helping them take action.

'The response to this will be published in due course.'

The DfT added that councils do already have some powers to tackle parking on the pavement.

Through Traffic Regulation Orders using powers in the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 and the Greater London Council (General Powers) Act, councils can issue Penalty Charge Notices ('parking tickets') to offending vehicles and have the power to remove vehicles that are illegally parked, the spokesperson pointed out.

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-13065677/Councils-call-ban-pavement-parking-England-tackle-scourge-drivers.html

Re: GB NEWS: New parking laws 'needed urgently' to give councils extra powers to fine drivers breaking rules

<l2qk1lFscl8U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=37759&group=uk.rec.cycling#37759

From: jnugent97@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
extra powers to fine drivers breaking rules
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2024 00:52:06 +0000
 by: JNugent - Sun, 11 Feb 2024 00:52 UTC

On 10/02/2024 05:59 pm, Simon Mason wrote:

> Councils have called on the Government to ban pavement parking across the whole of England - not just London - and punish motorists who block footpaths, especially for vulnerable and disabled people.

All any council has to do it promote a private Bill in Parliament.

> The Local Government Association (LGA) says more powers need to be given to local authorities to enforce parking to make our streets safer and 'tackle the scourge' of drivers who prevent access for those in mobility scooters, wheelchairs and children in buggies.
> The demand for enforcement powers comes more than three years after the Department for Transport wrapped up a consultation into pavement parking, which has seen no action taken as a result.
> Often, when motorists park partially - and sometimes fully - on the pavement, it is due to how narrow a road is.
> By putting at least two wheels on the footpath, drivers provide more room for other motorists to pass through tight spaces, reducing the likelihood of vehicle-to-vehicle damage as well as traffic delays.
> However, this often has a detrimental impact for pedestrians - especially those with mobility issues.

And PARTICULARLY for the chav-cyclists who are displaced from the FOOTway.

> The LGA says older and disabled people, as well as parents with pushchairs and younger children, are regularly forced to navigate around vehicles which are mounted on the kerb or across the footway.

And the chav-cyclists who are displaced from the FOOTway.

> By doing so, it puts these pedestrians at greater risk when stepping into the road and oncoming traffic.

And the chav-cyclists who are displaced from the FOOTway.

> The association says this presents arguably the greatest hazard to blind and partially sighted people.
> Yet, there is a secondary impact resulting from heavy vehicles parking on footpaths that are not designed to take such loads.
> It can cause pavements to crack and damage the surface, which in turn creates trip and injury hazards for pedestrians.

As Rod Speed says, often, elsewhere: Bullshit.

You, May Sun, are ONLY interested in the fact that FOOTway parking
creates difficulties for you and your fellow chav-cyclists in that you
are not given a free run along said FOOTways.

Can you pronounce "hypocrite"?

> Pavement parking is currently only banned in London, where councils have powers to exempt certain roads.
> Following call from various groups, in 2020, the Government launched a consultation to look into extending the ban to across the whole of England.
> However, an announcement has yet to be made regarding the findings and what changes could be made to legislation to help councils crackdown on pavement parking.
> In the meantime, Scotland has this year introduced a nationwide parking ban.
> Local authorities as of January 2024 can now dish out fines of £100 if they identify drivers parking on pavements and blocking the footway for pedestrians. The fine amount is reduced to £50 if paid within 14 days.
> A consultation is also set to take place in Wales on introducing restrictions on pavement parking.
> The call for pavement parking to be outlawed across England comes weeks after green transport campaigners warned that new models are getting wider on average by 1cm every two years - and many cars are now too wide for on-street parking bays.
> Transport & Environment blamed the rise of 'mega SUVs' for taking up more of our streets, bulging out of parking spaces and 'bullying cyclists off the road'.

Haha!

You obviously meant "bullying cyclists off the FOOTway"!

> The LGA, which represents councils in England and Wales, said a change in the rules is 'now long overdue'.

Get to to it, lads. Promote your private BILL through Parliament. It'll
only cost you a few million a time.

> It says more enforcement powers will help councils meet national targets to encourage more walking and cycling, while protecting older and vulnerable people from injury.

That's exactly what it WON'T do. "Older and vulnerable people" will be
at risk of even more injury by chavs like you on chav-bikes.

> Cllr Darren Rodwell, transport spokesperson for the LGA, added: 'Pavement parking is one of the biggest complaints from pedestrians,

What? Bigger than the number of complaints about chav-cyclists on FOOTways?

No-one sensible believes that.

Re: GB NEWS: New parking laws 'needed urgently' to give councils extra powers to fine drivers breaking rules

<86babf5d-061a-4c48-8e11-29a17ab728can@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=37761&group=uk.rec.cycling#37761

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2024 00:38:34 -0800 (PST)
extra powers to fine drivers breaking rules
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Sun, 11 Feb 2024 08:38 UTC

Bad parkers face being slapped with fines on a Stoke-on-Trent estate. Staffordshire Police and Stoke-on-Trent City Council are targeting motorists on Chillington Way, in Norton Heights.

It follows complaints about cars parking across junctions and drives as well as double-parking and pavement parking. The situation has got so bad that ambulances and fire engines can sometimes not access Chillington Way.

It comes as each Chillington Way apartment is only allocated one parking space - forcing families with at least two cars to park on the road.

Resident Emma Brown has lived on the estate for 16 years and seen the change in car use.

She said: “The issue is people parking on the pavement which causes disruption. There are an awful lot of people who live in the flats that have only got one parking space. I personally feel like what they are doing is being proactive.

“I know a lot of people are moaning saying it’s bringing money in but how else would you do it? Put double yellows in but then it’s a residential area and they can’t really do that. So everyone is stuck between a rock and a hard place really.”

Neighbour Jenny Wiggins said: “It’s to do with them building houses with not enough parking.”

James Partridge added: “I am not sure if fining people is the right way to deal with it but I don’t know what else they can do. The big problem is that there are not enough parking spaces.”

Staffordshire Police have written to all residents warning them about their bad parking - and the fines.

The police letter states: “I would like to address our concerns about the lack of due care from residents parking on the pavement, causing obstructions for pedestrians and dangerously blocking junctions. Due to the ongoing complaints of inconsiderate parking, Staffordshire Police and Stoke-on-Trent City Council believe positive action is required again to keep local residents and the public safe. Therefore, fixed-penalty fines will be issued if you continue to cause unnecessary obstruction."

Councillor Amjid Wazir, Stoke-on-Trent City Council's cabinet member for enforcement, said: ”Chillington Way has double-yellow lines at both ends of the road to protect the junctions. As per the Highway Code, parking on double-yellow lines is prohibited. We can enforce parking over dropped kerbs if residents report the issues to us. Pavement parking remains a police enforcement power currently and we will work with Staffordshire Police to ensure we keep our roads safe.”

To report parking issues on Chillington Way call the council on 01782 233220 or call the police on 101.

Re: GB NEWS: New parking laws 'needed urgently' to give councils extra powers to fine drivers breaking rules

<l2ri2oF3dtlU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=37766&group=uk.rec.cycling#37766

From: aero.spike@mail.com (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: GB NEWS: New parking laws 'needed urgently' to give
councils extra powers to fine drivers breaking rules
Date: 11 Feb 2024 09:24:40 GMT
 by: Spike - Sun, 11 Feb 2024 09:24 UTC

JNugent <jnugent97@mail.com> wrote:
> On 10/02/2024 05:59 pm, Simon Mason wrote:

[…]

>> Transport & Environment blamed the rise of 'mega SUVs' for taking up
>> more of our streets, bulging out of parking spaces and 'bullying cyclists off the road'.

> Haha!

> You obviously meant "bullying cyclists off the FOOTway"!

Perhaps “Transport & Environment’ should consult Auriol Grey about being
bullied by cyclists, in any discussion about the use of footways.

--
Spike

Re: GB NEWS: New parking laws 'needed urgently' to give councils extra powers to fine drivers breaking rules

<ffcec2fa-f499-49a0-ac34-462d9b2782bbn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=37769&group=uk.rec.cycling#37769

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2024 03:49:28 -0800 (PST)
extra powers to fine drivers breaking rules
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Sun, 11 Feb 2024 11:49 UTC

DANGEROUS pavement parking is an issue that is frequently raised in St Helens.

Particularly in areas with schools, parks, or development projects, roads can quickly build up with vehicles meaning that there are often limited spaces left to park.

This often results in some residents parking on the pavement, much to the frustration of pedestrians who are forced to walk into the road to get past.

It is a particular concern for parents with young children as well as vulnerable, disabled, or wheelchair-using residents as it increases the risk of a collision with a car.

In St Helens, previous incidents of this have been reported around St Bartholomew's school in Rainhill, Newton-le-Willows primary school, Ashurst primary school in Blackbrook, St Julies primary school in Eccleston, Grosvenor Road near Taylor Park and more.

It is also an issue felt across the country, with a growing number of councils calling on the government to ban pavement parking across England.

It has been illegal to park on the pavement in London since 1974, with fines ranging from £50 to £130, so local leaders are calling for these powers to be extended to all local authority areas.

A recent study commissioned by the Local Government Association (LGA) warned that wheelchair users, older people and parents with pushchairs are among those put at risk by having to navigate around vehicles mounted on kerbs.

The investigation found some vehicles cause “a complete obstruction to someone walking or wheeling”, meaning they have “no option but to enter the carriageway to continue their journey”.

Pavement parking can also damage the surface, creating trip hazards and leading to costly repairs, with the study recommending that pavement parking should be banned across England.

The LGA said a change in the rules is “long overdue” and would help councils protect older and vulnerable people from injury, as well as support national targets to increase levels of walking and cycling.

LGA transport spokesman Darren Rodwell said: “Pavement parking is one of the biggest complaints from pedestrians, but three years on, councils outside of London still do not have the powers they need to tackle this scourge.

“Vulnerable and disabled people including wheelchair users, as well as parents with pushchairs, are forced into the road due to some drivers’ inconsiderate parking, presenting a real hazard and potential danger to life.

“Repairing kerbs and pavements damaged by pavement parking is also expensive and this funding could be better used to resurface our roads and pavements, support local buses and provide more suitable parking.

“If we are to meet the Government’s ambition for half of all trips in England’s towns and cities to be walked, wheeled or cycled by 2030, then it makes sense to give councils across the country the same powers as in the capital, making our streets safer and footpaths open for everyone.”

A DfT spokesperson said: “Everyone should be able to navigate their streets without obstacles, and while local authorities already have powers to prohibit pavement parking through local regulation, we have consulted on further helping them take action.