From: aero.spike@mail.com (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: [Cycling] Rip up green verges to be greener
Date: 12 Feb 2024 22:40:43 GMT
 by: Spike - Mon, 12 Feb 2024 22:40 UTC

"It would be sacrilege to take up the grass verges," claims local, as cycle
lane plan with "enormous benefits for the community" met with vocal
opposition

Plenty have spoken in support of the project too, the council's head of
highways and transportation suggesting it will encourage people to replace
car journeys with active travel [the ‘car delenda est’ programme - Spike]
and "provide a safe route for cyclists, including schoolchildren"...

by DAN ALEXANDER
SUN, FEB 11, 2024 11:00

A council in North East England has proposed a major project to build
protected cycle lanes along a busy A-road to bring "enormous benefits for
the community". However, some unimpressed locals have spoken out about the
infrastructure — specifically being built with the aim of "reducing
congestion and improving air quality" by encouraging residents to replace
car journeys with active travel ones [the ‘car delenda est’ programme -
Spike] which they claim will cause "chaos", "gridlock", and would be
"sacrilege" if it involves taking up grass verges to make space.

North Tyneside Council has proposed the active travel scheme for the A192
Preston Road North in North Shields, hoping to provide a one-way cycle lane
on either side of the busy route that connects North Shields town centre to
the even busier A1058 to the north, the main route to Newcastle upon Tyne.

With several schools in the area, most notably John Spence Community High
School at the roundabout where Preston Road North joins the A1058, the
council is keen to "provide a safe link for cyclists, including
schoolchildren, between the town centre and the A1058 Coast Road",
proposals also including a crossing upgrade outside the school, a new
toucan crossing, and changes to junctions.

In short, as one local Lorraine Scott told the ChronicleLive (link is
external) website: "It would work for me, I cycle with the kids for school
but they are too young for the road. I don't feel safe on the road, it
would totally suit me. I wouldn't go on the road here if the path was put
in, the road gets quite busy, it would be perfect."

Work is expected to begin in the spring, Paul Watson the head of highways
at the council explaining the long-term aim is to "encourage more people to
switch from cars to sustainable modes of travel and deliver many benefits
for both residents and the environment" [the ‘car delenda est’ programme -
Spike]

And while he accepts in the short-term there will be "some disruption" as
the route is constructed and changes made, the long-term benefits of
"promoting active travel, reducing congestion, and improving air quality"
will, he says, provide "enormous benefits"

"Most of the new cycle lanes will use the existing road space and be built
out from the kerbside, with efforts to retain as much grass as possible.
While one stretch of grass will need to be removed, we are preserving a
wider grass verge along the same section of road to minimise the impact.
Junction designs have been carefully considered to ensure safety for both
cyclists and motorists, maintaining smooth navigation," he said.

However, the mood of some residents expressing their views in the local
press has not been so positive, 60-year-old Gillian Ferguson who lives on a
street just off Preston Road North claiming "it would be sacrilege to take
up the grass verges, they are the only green spaces we have got here and
trying to get parked here is crazy, it's madness."

We don't need one, for how many cyclists I have seen," she added, before
husband Neville said it is "disproportionate for the number of people that
will use it and this part is bad enough without a cycle track, by 3.30
because of the school, you can't get up or down the road".

The claims did not seem to consider the council's confidence the scheme, by
providing a safe and accessible route for active travel, would encourage
people out of cars and onto bikes, freeing up road space and reducing
congestion.

Likewise, another local, Derek Miller, claimed it would cause "absolute
chaos".

> "A pointless waste of time and taxpayers' money": Bike shop owner slams
> cycle lane claiming it forced him to shut down business

"It is bad enough getting down here as it is and the traffic that backs up
towards the school. It is going to create a gridlock in Preston Village
because people are going to start going around a different way," he said.

The council disputes the idea the cycle lane will increase congestion and
says the focus is on creating and "improving sustainable travel links
between the A1058 Coast/Beach Road and North Shields town centre [...] It
forms part of the strategic network of cycle routes throughout North
Tyneside."

"It also complements and ties into wider regeneration plans for North
Shields and supports the local authority's ambition to work towards the
borough being carbon net-zero by 2030," information on the local
authority's website states.

[Full story with pictures at the link below]

<https://road.cc/content/news/cycle-lane-plan-met-vocal-opposition-306689>

--
Spike