From: jgnewsid@outlook.com (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Stop Windows 10 Re-booting After Update
Date: 10 May 2023 13:49:51 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Wed, 10 May 2023 13:49 UTC

Last night Windows decided to reboot itself after an update when I had
gone to bed but had several programs open. Fortunately I had saved
everything so I don't think I lost data but I did lose a lot of my
settings for Visual Studio.

It's brain dead behaviour and none of the options I found by Googling
work, in some cases files referred to don't actually exist. There seems to
be no option to not download updates and deferring them is only possible
once.

Is anybody aware of any way, or util, that would at least give me a Yes/No
choice in respect of re-booting?

I found a copy of W2K, the other day, it is so tempting...

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
I've been through the desert on a horse with no name.

Re: Stop Windows 10 Re-booting After Update

<kc1qraFk0nU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3781&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3781

From: email@here.invalid (Adrian Caspersz)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Re: Stop Windows 10 Re-booting After Update
Date: Wed, 10 May 2023 16:16:58 +0100
 by: Adrian Caspersz - Wed, 10 May 2023 15:16 UTC

On 10/05/2023 14:49, Jeff Gaines wrote:

> Last night Windows decided to reboot itself after an update when I had
> gone to bed but had several programs open. Fortunately I had saved
> everything so I don't think I lost data but I did lose a lot of my
> settings for Visual Studio.
>
> It's brain dead behaviour and none of the options I found by Googling
> work, in some cases files referred to don't actually exist. There seems
> to be no option to not download updates and deferring them is only
> possible once.
>
> Is anybody aware of any way, or util, that would at least give me a
> Yes/No choice in respect of re-booting?

With consumer grade Windows implemented outside the reach of enterprise
domain, options are limited to hacks. You need to schedule updates to
download but not install, such is a setting available in group policy
which officially means Active Directory, but there are some workarounds.
All bets are probably off if this is "Windows Home Edition".

You'd probably be better going back to Windows 2000 and firewalling what
you can, since this development is actually your own interest and not
going to anyone else. Stick it on a virtual machine?

--
Adrian C

Re: Stop Windows 10 Re-booting After Update

<u3gdju$nga0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3782&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3782

From: NOTsomeone@microsoft.invalid (GB)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Wed, 10 May 2023 16:35:27 +0100
 by: GB - Wed, 10 May 2023 15:35 UTC

On 10/05/2023 14:49, Jeff Gaines wrote:

> Last night Windows decided to reboot itself after an update when I had
> gone to bed but had several programs open. Fortunately I had saved
> everything so I don't think I lost data but I did lose a lot of my
> settings for Visual Studio.
>
> It's brain dead behaviour and none of the options I found by Googling
> work, in some cases files referred to don't actually exist. There seems
> to be no option to not download updates and deferring them is only
> possible once.
>
> Is anybody aware of any way, or util, that would at least give me a
> Yes/No choice in respect of re-booting?

One sensible strategy is to download and apply updates at a time to suit
you? That way you stay secure whilst not suffering the inconvenience you
mentioned.

Yesterday was Patch Tuesday, and the next one is 13 June. So, just
diarize ahead.

> I found a copy of W2K, the other day, it is so tempting...

aus+uk / uk.comp.homebuilt / Stop Windows 10 Re-booting After Update