Bombeck's Rule of Medicine: Never go to a doctor whose office plants have died.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Bristol speeding drug-driver who killed young dad jailed

SubjectAuthor
* Bristol speeding drug-driver who killed young dad jailedSimon Mason
+- Re: Bristol speeding drug-driver who killed young dad jailedJNugent
`- Re: Bristol speeding drug-driver who killed young dad jailedSimon Mason

1
Bristol speeding drug-driver who killed young dad jailed

<66bd910d-eeb8-47e5-96bb-9898fd568fb0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=37788&group=uk.rec.cycling#37788

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2024 14:05:10 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Bristol speeding drug-driver who killed young dad jailed
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Sun, 11 Feb 2024 22:05 UTC

A speeding drug-driver who killed a young father as he walked to work has been jailed.

Lewis Payne's car mounted the kerb and crossed a cycle lane before hitting Zac Betty, 24, on Airport Road in Bristol at about 22:00 GMT on 10 July 2022.

Bristol Crown Court was told he had been travelling at speeds of up to 51mph in a 30mph limit.

Payne, of Stockwood, was sentenced to seven years and six months in jail for causing death by dangerous driving.

The 32-year-old had admitted the charge at a hearing in December and was sentenced on Thursday.

Evidence of both cannabis and cocaine was found in samples of Payne's blood

Payne's Audi A3 did not stop until it collided with a lamppost and he claimed to have blacked out before the collision but his account was contradicted by CCTV which showed that the vehicle's brake lights were on, the court was told.

Witnesses rushed to help Mr Betty and called the emergency services but he had sustained multiple injuries and could not be saved.

Mr Betty, who had a young son, was described as a loving, caring and selfless son, brother, uncle and father.

In a statement, his family said no parent should ever have to bury a child.

The family said: "Today the wheels of justice have turned and the person who took away our son has been sentenced.

"The hole that has been left by his loss could never be filled or reduced by any sentence.

"We would now appreciate time and space to process what has happened."
A family devastated

Judge William Hart said: "No sentence I can give will undo a life lost."

Investigating officer Dai Nicholas said Payne was over the legal limit for cannabis and had traces of cocaine in his system.

He added: "The forensic expert said the level of the active ingredient of cannabis in his blood would have significantly affected his ability to safely control a motor vehicle.

"His decision to get behind the wheel has devastated a family. I hope they can now start to find some peace."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-68256499

Re: Bristol speeding drug-driver who killed young dad jailed

<l320jmF9r1tU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=37802&group=uk.rec.cycling#37802

From: jennings&co@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2024 14:09:49 -0600
 by: JNugent - Tue, 13 Feb 2024 20:09 UTC

On 11/02/2024 16:05, Simon Mason wrote:
> A speeding drug-driver who killed a young father as he walked to work has been jailed.
>
> Lewis Payne's car mounted the kerb and crossed a cycle lane before hitting Zac Betty, 24, on Airport Road in Bristol at about 22:00 GMT on 10 July 2022.
>
> Bristol Crown Court was told he had been travelling at speeds of up to 51mph in a 30mph limit.
>
> Payne, of Stockwood, was sentenced to seven years and six months in jail for causing death by dangerous driving.
>
> The 32-year-old had admitted the charge at a hearing in December and was sentenced on Thursday.
>
> Evidence of both cannabis and cocaine was found in samples of Payne's blood
>
> Payne's Audi A3 did not stop until it collided with a lamppost and he claimed to have blacked out before the collision but his account was contradicted by CCTV which showed that the vehicle's brake lights were on, the court was told.
>
> Witnesses rushed to help Mr Betty and called the emergency services but he had sustained multiple injuries and could not be saved.
>
> Mr Betty, who had a young son, was described as a loving, caring and selfless son, brother, uncle and father.
>
> In a statement, his family said no parent should ever have to bury a child.
>
> The family said: "Today the wheels of justice have turned and the person who took away our son has been sentenced.
>
> "The hole that has been left by his loss could never be filled or reduced by any sentence.
>
> "We would now appreciate time and space to process what has happened."
> A family devastated
>
> Judge William Hart said: "No sentence I can give will undo a life lost."
>
> Investigating officer Dai Nicholas said Payne was over the legal limit for cannabis and had traces of cocaine in his system.
>
> He added: "The forensic expert said the level of the active ingredient of cannabis in his blood would have significantly affected his ability to safely control a motor vehicle.
>
> "His decision to get behind the wheel has devastated a family. I hope they can now start to find some peace."
>
> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-68256499

It's high time that driving (and riding a chav-bike) whilst under the
influence of drugs was made an offence.

Don't you agree?

Re: Bristol speeding drug-driver who killed young dad jailed

<f4b22fb6-1d52-43a4-9902-dcae4cc113d9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=37810&group=uk.rec.cycling#37810

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2024 13:24:09 -0800 (PST)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Tue, 13 Feb 2024 21:24 UTC

QUOTE: Lewis Payne's car mounted the kerb and crossed a cycle lane before hitting Zac Betty, 24, on Airport Road in Bristol at about 22:00 GMT on 10 July 2022. Bristol Crown Court was told he had been travelling at speeds of up to 51mph in a 30mph limit. Payne, of Stockwood, was sentenced to seven years and six months in jail for causing death by dangerous driving. ENDS

"Mounted the kerb" AND speeding? Surely not - anyway have EIGHT years in jail, scumbag.