From: aero.spike@mail.com (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: [Cycling] Warrington bus gate fines refunded
Date: 20 Feb 2024 18:09:14 GMT
 by: Spike - Tue, 20 Feb 2024 18:09 UTC

Warrington bus gate fines to be refunded after criticism

People who received fines after driving down a bus lane will be refunded
following criticisms.

Cameras were introduced on Scotland Road in Warrington town centre last
October as part of plans to "reduce congestion", the council said.

However the authority added they had "received a considerable number of
comments" from fined motorists who said they were unaware of the changes.

It has now decided to cancel all fines to date and to issue full refunds.

Only buses, permitted taxis, cycles and emergency service vehicles can use
the bus gate, which means there have been changes to access routes to the
Prince Henry Square car park and the main car park for Cockhedge Shopping
Centre.

More than a thousand people signed a petition calling for better signage,
with one business owner saying the fines had damaged many local firms.

Jessica, who owns Jessie's Pick n Mix, said: "Since the road signs have
changed, we get daily calls and messages from people asking how they can
access our shop.

"After a pandemic, we would hope our council would be supporting people to
shop local but handing out bus lane fines is not something that will
contribute to our local economy, only drive people away from the town
centre."

A Warrington Borough Council spokesman said "clear signage" had been in
place, however "a large number of motorists have been caught out by these
changes in recent weeks… and many drivers have received Penalty Charge
Notices".

penalty charge notices issued to date and to issue full refunds to all who
have already paid them, as soon as possible," the spokesman said.

The council added that it will write to all those due a refund and that
leaflets showing the revised routes will also be distributed to prevent
further fines.

<https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-59607106>

--
Spike