Fat people of the world unite, we've got nothing to lose!

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: "Human bollards" step in to enforce road closure after "child knocked off bike" by motorist and cyclist reversed into

SubjectAuthor
* "Human bollards" step in to enforce road closure after "child knocked off bike" Simon Mason
+- Re: "Human bollards" [You can say that again!] step in to enforce road closure aJNugent
`* Re: "Human bollards" step in to enforce road closure after "child knocked off biSimon Mason
 +- Re: "Human bollards" step in to enforce road closure after "child knocked off JNugent
 +* Re: "Human bollards" step in to enforce road closure after "child knocked off biSimon Mason
 |`* Re: "Human bollards" step in to enforce road closure after "child knocked off JNugent
 | `- Re: "Human bollards" step in to enforce road closure after "child knocked off bSpike
 `* Re: "Human bollards" step in to enforce road closure after "child knocked off biSimon Mason
  +- Re: "Human bollards" step in to enforce road closure after "child knocked off biSimon Mason
  `- Re: "Human bollards" step in to enforce road closure after "child knocked off JNugent

1
"Human bollards" step in to enforce road closure after "child knocked off bike" by motorist and cyclist reversed into

<f08b5574-5c43-4b5e-adbc-148af990c823n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=37949&group=uk.rec.cycling#37949

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2024 11:29:06 -0800 (PST)
Subject: "Human bollards" step in to enforce road closure after "child knocked
off bike" by motorist and cyclist reversed into
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Mon, 19 Feb 2024 19:29 UTC

Campaigners in Exeter left fed up by bus gate violations from drivers have stepped in to enforce the closure as "human bollards", the community action coming after "people were just driving through with impunity" and two recent incidents reported involving cyclists being hit by motorists.

The move was inspired by volunteers in Oxford who overcame a spate of vandalism to a low-traffic neighbourhood by acting as human bollards to enforce the road closure. Likewise, today, in the Devon city of Exeter, campaigners blocked a route reserved for cyclists, buses and taxi drivers, while holding banners calling for "safe streets now".

The bus gate in question was introduced as part of the wider Heavitree and Whipton Active Streets Trial, a series of measures introduced by Devon County Council to calm traffic and promote safe active travel journeys.

However, as Lorna Devenish, the spokesperson for the Heavitree and Whipton Liveable Neighbourhood Group, told road.cc as part of a wider discussion that will be available in full during an upcoming episode of our podcast, violations of the bus gates have become an "outstanding issue for the trial" with many drivers ignoring the closures and paint sprayed over the signs meaning "people were just driving through with impunity".

She said: "The situation outside Ladysmith School has just gone back to being terrible again now. And in fact a child was knocked off their bike and a woman on a cargo bike with a baby on the back was reversed into by a car doing a manoeuvre around the bus gate."

Those incidents fuelled the human bollard action, which was supported by Safe Streets Now, whose Exeter spokesperson told the BBC (link is external) the event had been a success and the human bollards would "continue all week at the beginning and end of the school day".

"There was a lot of support; lots of supportive parents and even a supportive taxi driver who stopped to thank us," he said. "There were also some inevitable angry residents and parents as well.

"But what was really lovely was watching kids on their scooters going to school. It needs to be safe for them to do that, and the best way to make it safe is to remove the drivers from the roads outside."

Ms Devenish told road.cc: "The bus gates violations are an outstanding issue for the trial. We have two bus gates, and people worked out within two or three months that they weren't really being policed. And one of them was sprayed with a thick black paint on Boxing Day. At the beginning of the trial, the county council had been absolutely brilliant about rapidly replacing bollards, but following this report (link is external) the county council going cold on it, no one had been out to clean these signs. So people were just driving through with impunity.

"So we really fear that the violations around the bus gate are skewing the figures [for the trial], but because people are being encouraged to cycle more and people are driving through the bus gates, there are people who may be cycling for the first time who are not as safe as they should be. We cleaned the signs, and amazingly enough that had an immediate effect. Fewer people drove through it, now that you could see the restrictions again.

"We've been inspired by campaigners in Oxford to take some direct action, to do some human bollarding, to really call on Devon and Cornwall Police to properly police it. They say they aren't resourced sufficiently, but I think with the power of social media, they really only need to issue letters to ten per cent of the people we reported, and that would go around like wildfire. It probably wouldn't take too much effort, a few random visits by a patrol car at key times, even just having the parking wardens there at school pick up and drop off.

"So all these things could be done, and I don't think it would be a huge use of resources, but there seems to be an impasse on that. So that's our next action, to get these bus gates properly policed."

The aforementioned interim report on the Active Streets Trial, which those in favour of the scheme say was "sprung" on the committee charged with implementing it "at the last minute", claimed that while motor traffic has been significantly reduced within Exeter's newly installed low traffic neighbourhoods (LTNs), and cycling numbers boosted, traffic and journey times on boundary roads have soared.

It also concluded that unless the trial delivered better results by the end of this month it may be abandoned prematurely, with the power to suspend the scheme transferred from the city and county councillors to an unelected official. The bus gates were introduced as part of an 18-month trial alongside a host of other traffic-calming measures, such as modal filters using bollards or planters to encourage walking and cycling, and reduce pollution on residential roads.

The bus gates were meant to provide easy access for buses, emergency vehicles and taxi drivers, access restrictions that campaigners say have not been policed properly and led to today's action.

https://road.cc/content/news/human-bollards-step-police-road-closure-306819

Re: "Human bollards" [You can say that again!] step in to enforce road closure after "child knocked off bike" by motorist and chav-cyclist reversed into

<l3kvt3FlqhsU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=37975&group=uk.rec.cycling#37975

From: jennings&co@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: "Human bollards" [You can say that again!] step in to enforce
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2024 18:53:54 -0600
 by: JNugent - Wed, 21 Feb 2024 00:53 UTC

On 19/02/2024 13:29, Simon Mason wrote:

> Campaigners in Exeter left fed up by bus gate violations from drivers have stepped in to enforce the closure as "human bollards", the community action coming after "people were just driving through with impunity" and two recent incidents reported involving cyclists being hit by motorists.
>
> The move was inspired by volunteers in Oxford who overcame a spate of vandalism to a low-traffic neighbourhood by acting as human bollards to enforce the road closure. Likewise, today, in the Devon city of Exeter, campaigners blocked a route reserved for cyclists, buses and taxi drivers, while holding banners calling for "safe streets now".
>
> The bus gate in question was introduced as part of the wider Heavitree and Whipton Active Streets Trial, a series of measures introduced by Devon County Council to calm traffic and promote safe active travel journeys.
>
> However, as Lorna Devenish, the spokesperson for the Heavitree and Whipton Liveable Neighbourhood Group, told road.cc as part of a wider discussion that will be available in full during an upcoming episode of our podcast, violations of the bus gates have become an "outstanding issue for the trial" with many drivers ignoring the closures and paint sprayed over the signs meaning "people were just driving through with impunity".
>
> She said: "The situation outside Ladysmith School has just gone back to being terrible again now. And in fact a child was knocked off their bike and a woman on a cargo chav-bike with a baby on the back was reversed into by a car doing a manoeuvre around the bus gate."

Those anthropomorphic cars, eh? Got a mind of their own, apparently.

> [...]
>
> It also concluded that unless the trial delivered better results by the end of this month it may be abandoned prematurely, with the power to suspend the scheme transferred from the city and county councillors to an unelected official. The bus gates were introduced as part of an 18-month trial alongside a host of other traffic-calming measures, such as modal filters using bollards or planters to encourage walking and cycling, and reduce pollution on residential roads.
>
> The bus gates were meant to provide easy access for buses, emergency vehicles and taxi drivers, access restrictions that campaigners say have not been policed properly and led to today's action.

That's a good description of any fully-unqualified chav-cyclist, really:
"bollard".

Glad you agree.

Re: "Human bollards" step in to enforce road closure after "child knocked off bike" by motorist and cyclist reversed into

<21bb9a07-9453-45c3-93b9-69073e65ecc4n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=37980&group=uk.rec.cycling#37980

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 01:35:14 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: "Human bollards" step in to enforce road closure after "child
knocked off bike" by motorist and cyclist reversed into
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Wed, 21 Feb 2024 09:35 UTC

ROOTminus1 | 23 hours ago
3 likes

Action like this is interesting to me. These people are clearly doing the right thing, standing up for their community to promote safer streets and stop people breaking the law.
But they're doing the job of criminal and civil enforcement. Whilst this is legal and vindicated action, it's still discouraged by police and civil enforcement in case it increases tensions instead of de-escalating.

At what point does community action become vigilantism, and when do I crack out the black mask, cloak and talk in a deep raspy voice?
====================

What kind of council rolls out a bus gate with no means of enforcement?

No driver would ever break the law

They are trained
they are licensed
They are identifiable
They are Insured

Unlike certain other road users

Re: "Human bollards" step in to enforce road closure after "child knocked off bike" by motorist and cyclist reversed into

<l3mohvF1ifvU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=37995&group=uk.rec.cycling#37995

From: jennings&co@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
knocked off bike" by motorist and cyclist reversed into
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 11:00:47 -0600
 by: JNugent - Wed, 21 Feb 2024 17:00 UTC

On 21/02/2024 03:35, Simon Mason wrote:

> ROOTminus1 | 23 hours ago
> 3 likes
>
> Action like this is interesting to me. These people are clearly doing the right thing, standing up for their community to promote safer streets and stop people breaking the law.
> But they're doing the job of criminal and civil enforcement. Whilst this is legal and vindicated action, it's still discouraged by police and civil enforcement in case it increases tensions instead of de-escalating.
>
> At what point does community action become vigilantism, and when do I crack out the black mask, cloak and talk in a deep raspy voice?
> ====================
>
> What kind of council rolls out a bus gate with no means of enforcement?
>
> No driver would ever break the law
>
> They are trained
> they are licensed
> They are identifiable
> They are Insured
>
> Unlike certain other road users

You, May Sun, with your constant trolling, have repeatedly proven that
you are a human bollard.

Or something like that, at least.

Re: "Human bollards" step in to enforce road closure after "child knocked off bike" by motorist and cyclist reversed into

<4093f373-f3c9-4534-ae31-6325a8452d1bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=38003&group=uk.rec.cycling#38003

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 10:58:21 -0800 (PST)
knocked off bike" by motorist and cyclist reversed into
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Wed, 21 Feb 2024 18:58 UTC

At what point does community action become vigilantism, and when do I crack out the black mask, cloak and talk in a deep raspy voice?

I know! I know this one! When it involves busybodies grassing on hard-working people just trying to go about their daily business of breaking the law! When it involves meddlers trying to be amateur policemen and stopping people exercising their rights as Free Citizens (Magna Carta!) to park and drive where they want. When it's creepy cyclists (likely paedos) peering through windows and spying on people with cameras, seeking trouble so they can upload unnecessary confrontations for clicks...

Re: "Human bollards" step in to enforce road closure after "child knocked off bike" by motorist and cyclist reversed into

<l3nm4mF6pitU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=38010&group=uk.rec.cycling#38010

From: jennings&co@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
knocked off bike" by motorist and cyclist reversed into
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 19:25:42 -0600
 by: JNugent - Thu, 22 Feb 2024 01:25 UTC

On 21/02/2024 12:58, Simon Mason wrote:

> At what point does community action become vigilantism, and when do I crack out the black mask, cloak and talk in a deep raspy voice?
>
> I know! I know this one! When it involves busybodies grassing on hard-working people just trying to go about their daily business of breaking the law! When it involves meddlers trying to be amateur policemen and stopping people exercising their rights as Free Citizens (Magna Carta!) to park and drive where they want. When it's creepy cyclists (likely paedos) peering through windows and spying on people with cameras, seeking trouble so they can upload unnecessary confrontations for clicks...

There you are folks... a human bollard in action.

Told you...

Re: "Human bollards" step in to enforce road closure after "child knocked off bike" by motorist and cyclist reversed into

<6b7c5738-e4bd-4bd4-9b72-8a0457b1b9d3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=38013&group=uk.rec.cycling#38013

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 22:59:07 -0800 (PST)
knocked off bike" by motorist and cyclist reversed into
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Thu, 22 Feb 2024 06:59 UTC

At what point does community action become vigilantism, and when do I crack out the black mask, cloak and talk in a deep raspy voice?

I for one feel like my 25+ year study of judo and jujitsu (and a smattering of karate) will have been fully wasted unless I become a masked vigilante at some point in my life. I haven't been in a real fight since before I started studying it.

I do a pretty good scary voice.

Re: "Human bollards" step in to enforce road closure after "child knocked off bike" by motorist and cyclist reversed into

<l3ogjjFb920U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=38017&group=uk.rec.cycling#38017

From: aero.spike@mail.com (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: "Human bollards" step in to enforce road closure after
"child knocked off bike" by motorist and cyclist reversed into
Date: 22 Feb 2024 08:57:23 GMT
 by: Spike - Thu, 22 Feb 2024 08:57 UTC

JNugent <jennings&co@mail.com> wrote:
> On 21/02/2024 12:58, Simon Mason wrote:
>
>> At what point does community action become vigilantism, and when do I
>> crack out the black mask, cloak and talk in a deep raspy voice?
>>
>> I know! I know this one! When it involves busybodies grassing on
>> hard-working people just trying to go about their daily business of
>> breaking the law! When it involves meddlers trying to be amateur
>> policemen and stopping people exercising their rights as Free Citizens
>> (Magna Carta!) to park and drive where they want. When it's creepy
>> cyclists (likely paedos) peering through windows and spying on people
>> with cameras, seeking trouble so they can upload unnecessary confrontations for clicks...
>
> There you are folks... a human bollard in action.
>
> Told you...

When he mentions “… hard-working people just trying to go about their daily
business of breaking the law”, I take it he’s talking about cyclists.

--
Spike

Re: "Human bollards" step in to enforce road closure after "child knocked off bike" by motorist and cyclist reversed into

<d8cc9070-6263-4bc8-834a-120790ae07d8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=38021&group=uk.rec.cycling#38021

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2024 03:15:49 -0800 (PST)
knocked off bike" by motorist and cyclist reversed into
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Thu, 22 Feb 2024 11:15 UTC

QUOTE: "But what was really lovely was watching kids on their scooters going to school. It needs to be safe for them to do that, and the best way to make it safe is to remove the drivers from the roads outside." ENDS

Think about the blood pressure of the Brextard gammons at such a sight!

Re: "Human bollards" step in to enforce road closure after "child knocked off bike" by motorist and cyclist reversed into

<l3ph2hFgqaqU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=38024&group=uk.rec.cycling#38024

From: jennings&co@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
knocked off bike" by motorist and cyclist reversed into
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2024 12:11:29 -0600
 by: JNugent - Thu, 22 Feb 2024 18:11 UTC

On 22/02/2024 00:59, Simon Mason wrote:

> At what point does community action become vigilantism, and when do I crack out the black mask, cloak and talk in a deep raspy voice?
>
> I for one feel like my 25+ year study of judo and jujitsu (and a smattering of karate) will have been fully wasted unless I become a masked vigilante at some point in my life. I haven't been in a real fight since before I started studying it.
>
> I do a pretty good scary voice.

You're just the one to do it.

I expect. Probably.