From: aero.spike@mail.com (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: [Cycling] Cyclists plead for more traffic
Date: 24 Feb 2024 10:24:16 GMT
 by: Spike - Sat, 24 Feb 2024 10:24 UTC

Victims of violent London bikejackings in the area surrounding Regent's
Park, believed to be the work of violent gangs shipping the high-value
bicycles to Russia, have urged the Metropolitan Police to station more
officers at the crime hotspot.

Two months on from new figures revealing that there are two bikejackings a
day taking place across London as a whole, cyclists who use the quiet, and
at some times traffic-free roads of Regent's Park, have recalled even more
incidents of violent attacks by criminals targeting high-value bicycles in
the surrounding area.

[Full story at the link below]

<https://road.cc/content/news/cyclists-urge-police-presence-bikejacking-hotspot-306883>

--
Spike

Re: [Cycling] Cyclists plead for more traffic

<l3up98FdbvrU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=38037&group=uk.rec.cycling#38037

From: jennings&co@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: [Cycling] Cyclists plead for more traffic
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2024 12:02:15 -0600
 by: JNugent - Sat, 24 Feb 2024 18:02 UTC

On 24/02/2024 04:24, Spike wrote:

> Victims of violent London bikejackings in the area surrounding Regent's
> Park, believed to be the work of violent gangs shipping the high-value
> bicycles to Russia, have urged the Metropolitan Police to station more
> officers at the crime hotspot.
>
> Two months on from new figures revealing that there are two bikejackings a
> day taking place across London as a whole, cyclists who use the quiet, and
> at some times traffic-free roads of Regent's Park, have recalled even more
> incidents of violent attacks by criminals targeting high-value bicycles in
> the surrounding area.
>
> [Full story at the link below]
>
> <https://road.cc/content/news/cyclists-urge-police-presence-bikejacking-hotspot-306883>

But if I were to drive a car through Regent's Park, *I* would be at risk
of car-jacking. The same applies in spadefuls to the drivers of Rollers
and Maseratis (etc).

Why would I, or why would they want to be in such danger?

It's not as though we could count on any assistance from the chavs on
chav-bikes, is it?