From: aero.spike@mail.com (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: [Cycling] London cyclejacking ‘decriminalised’
Date: 24 Feb 2024 08:54:30 GMT
 by: Spike - Sat, 24 Feb 2024 08:54 UTC

Victims call for more police at hotspot for violent bikejacking gangs
targeting "list" of high-value bikes

One cyclist — targeted by motorbike-riding bikejackers while riding a
£15,000 Pinarello Dogma — said it is "normally the same three brands:
Pinarello, Bianchi and S-Works", with Brompton also reportedly writing to
the Met Police commissioner urging action...

by DAN ALEXANDER

Victims of violent London bikejackings in the area surrounding Regent's
Park, believed to be the work of violent gangs shipping the high-value
bicycles to Russia, have urged the Metropolitan Police to station more
officers at the crime hotspot.

Two months on from new figures revealing that there are two bikejackings a
day taking place across London as a whole, cyclists who use the quiet, and
at some times traffic-free roads of Regent's Park, have recalled even more
incidents of violent attacks by criminals targeting high-value bicycles in
the surrounding area.

Speaking to The Times (link is external), a 49-year-old man who was riding
a £15,000 Pinarello Dogma on his way to the park at around 5am in
mid-December explained how he was approached "when two guys idled up to me
on a motorbike and one said to the other, "'It's on the list'."

Scott said he felt "targeted" as he had no trouble when riding his other
bike, worth £1,000, and is in Facebook groups where other bikejackings have
been reported. "It's normally the same three brands: Pinarello, Bianchi and
S-Works," he suggested.

"The police told me there had been a significant number of bike-jackings at
that time in the morning. It's dark and cyclists are vulnerable. My
understanding from groups [is] there's been about eight to ten taken in
about a month. I've ridden all over the world and it's not an issue in
other countries — it seems to be prevalent here," he said.

> "Copycat" moped mugger kicks cyclist into fence, threatens to stab him,
> and steals bike in yet another violent bikejacking

"They told me to 'get off the f***ing bike' and tried to force me off the
road. I fell off and a car stopped and opened the door. I threw my bike in
and jumped in and the guys continued to ride around the car shouting, 'Get
out the f***ing car'. It was pretty scary. They continued to wait outside
the car yelling at us and then a security guard came by and they took off."

It has been reported that "several British cycling organisations, including
the bike manufacturer Brompton" are preparing a letter to Sir Mark Rowley,
the Metropolitan Police commissioner, to urge a greater police presence in
the area to deter criminals.

Such incidents in the English capital and its bordering counties are
nothing new, numerous similar reported over the past few years, perhaps the
most high-profile that involving professional cyclist Alexandar Richardson
who was was knocked off and dragged for 100 metres by muggers on motorbikes
who threatened him with a machete as he trained in south-west London's
Richmond Park.

Last April a teenager, who was 15 at the time of the attack, was sentenced
to 12 months for his role in the attack. However, the police reports from
Regent's Park suggest bikejackings there have become the speciality of
organised gangs, rather than the, in some cases, apparently opportunistic
criminal acts of youths reported in other parts of London and Kent.

The cyclist who jumped into a car to avoid having his Pinarello Dogma
stolen said he heard the robbers look at his bike and say "this is on the
list", suggesting they are targeting specific high-value bicycles, often
targeting riders in or on their way to Regent's Park to use the roads
between 5am and 7am, when it is closed to car drivers.

The Times compared the robberies to similar crimes committed by "Rolex
ripper" gangs targeting high-value watches in London, and reported that
bikejacking victims had been told by the police that they believed the
robberies are being carried out by an Albanian gang that is shipping the
bikes to Russia, where high-end bikes are difficult to obtain due to
sanctions.

"An incredibly frightening experience"

Another victim explained how his £5,000 Cannondale was taken while he
cycled to Regent's Park at around 6.15am in November.

"I've been cycling to Regent's Park for years but never had an issue. I've
heard about problems increasing recently," Simon Fox said. "Three guys on a
motorbike drove past me slowly and looked me up and down. I turned off down
a residential street but they turned around the wrong way on a
dual-carriageway and followed me. I got off the bike and one of them gave
me an almighty push.

"One grabbed my bike and ran off and the others were pushing me and shoving
me. They told me to empty my pockets and took my phone. It was an
incredibly frightening experience and now I do not cycle early in the
morning."

Another cyclist lost his Brompton near King's Cross in December during an
attack which saw him punched and kicked.

"A moped drew up alongside me. The two men looked down at the logo of the
Brompton, and I immediately realised I was in trouble," he recalled. "I
turned down a side street close to my home and the moped drew alongside me.
They cut in front to block my path and there was a stand-off.

"I was then struck to the side of the left eye. The passenger also gestured
as if to pull a knife from his jacket. I was on the ground with the bike on
top of me — I was kicked in the left side of the head and then repeatedly
in the lower back. The driver of the moped then joined in."

The national police lead for cycle crime reduction, Titus Halliwell,
insisted "we're not being dismissive of these problems and are very keen to
get it resolved".

"We could do more but figures show cycle thefts are coming down. We have
finite resources and are in the process of collecting data so we can best
deploy our limited but capable resources," he claimed.

Last month we reported that analysis of Home Office data showed nine in 10
bike theft cases reported to the police since 2019 went unsolved, with the
Liberal Democrats warning that bike theft has effectively been
"decriminalised".

Of all bike thefts reported to the police since 2019, 89 per cent (more
than 365,000) have gone unsolved, the analysis of Home Office data showed,
pointing to more than eight reported bike thefts an hour and 200 per day
going unsolved in England and Wales over the past four years.

> Cycling UK hails "clever" policing after bait bicycle used to track down
> £130,000 bike theft gang in one shift

A Freedom of Information request made by the Telegraph at the back end of
last year found that in the year to November 2023 there were 768 robberies
of bicycles reported, equating to two incidents a day.

Anecdotally too, bikejacking incidents appear to have become more prevalent
in recent times, not just in London. Numerous incidents involving
moped-riding criminals targeting lone riders in the lanes of Kent were
reported over the past three years, pro cyclist Jennifer George saying she
no longer rides alone after being subject to two bikejacking attempts.

> Cyclist suffers shocking injuries as hooded gang steals £12,500
> Specialized and beats victim

The situation got so bad that in the summer of 2022 British Cycling said it
was "deeply concerned" by the rise in violent bikejackings across south
London, with policy manager Nick Chamberlin publishing a response to
outline the issue, telling members what British Cycling is doing and
offering advice.

Chamberlin said: "We have heard from lots of clubs and individuals who are
rightly very concerned about going out for a ride. It is extremely hard to
discuss these sorts of issues without causing panic and the last thing any
of us would wish is to deter people from cycling this summer through a fear
of being attacked.

"The sad reality however is that when these spikes in violent crime occur,
and while we try to understand the pattern of incidents better, it is
prudent for individuals, clubs and groups to discuss these concerns
together and think carefully about the rides they have planned.

"As with the incidents that occurred in Richmond Park last year, we know
that by working together as a cycling community to quickly pass relevant
information to the police we can support them to quickly and effectively
tackle the issue."

Around the same time, Duncan Dollimore, head of campaigns at Cycling UK,
said he believes criminals are attracted towards stealing high-end bikes
because the potential money to be made from selling them on far outweighs
the chances of getting caught.

"It is possibly perceived as a low-risk crime if the numbers of people
being caught are so low," he explained. "It may be seen as a high-reward,
low-risk crime.

"There have been increasing concerns about people cycling out of London to
the Kent and Surrey hills who have been victims of muggings or robbery.
There are a limited number of routes where people would cycle out of
London.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: [Cycling] London cyclejacking ‘decriminalised’

<l3upegFdbvrU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=38038&group=uk.rec.cycling#38038

From: jennings&co@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: [Cycling] London cyclejacking ‘decriminalis
ed’
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2024 12:05:04 -0600
 by: JNugent - Sat, 24 Feb 2024 18:05 UTC

On 24/02/2024 02:54, Spike wrote:

> [...]
> being caught are so low," he explained. "It may be seen as a high-reward,
> low-risk crime.
>
> "There have been increasing concerns about people cycling out of London to
> the Kent and Surrey hills who have been victims of muggings or robbery.
> There are a limited number of routes where people would cycle out of
> London.
>
> "Somebody has posted on Strava what they are doing on their ride. The
> criminals will know it is someone on a £3,000 to £4,000 carbon fibre bike
> who has unwittingly signposted the fact that they are likely to be heading
> out to Kent or the Surrey Hills. It is on the police's radar."
>
> <https://road.cc/content/news/cyclists-urge-police-presence-bikejacking-hotspot-306883>

Click here to read the complete article
Re: [Cycling] London cyclejacking ‘decriminalised’

<ure5fq$1g7c3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=38039&group=uk.rec.cycling#38039

From: muzhmuzh@centrum.sk (Peter Keller)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re:_[Cycling]_London_cyclejacking_‘decrimin
alised’
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2024 14:34:50 +1300
 by: Peter Keller - Sun, 25 Feb 2024 01:34 UTC

On 24/02/24 21:54, Spike wrote:
> One cyclist — targeted by motorbike-riding bikejackers while riding a
> £15,000 Pinarello Dogma — said it is "normally the same three brands:
> Pinarello, Bianchi and S-Works", with Brompton also reportedly writing to
> the Met Police commissioner urging action...

£15 000 for ONE bicycle?

Re: [Cycling] London cyclejacking ‘decriminalised’

<l401g7Fj4ciU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=38040&group=uk.rec.cycling#38040

From: jennings&co@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
ed’
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2024 23:28:40 -0600
 by: JNugent - Sun, 25 Feb 2024 05:28 UTC

On 24/02/2024 19:34, Peter Keller wrote:

> On 24/02/24 21:54, Spike wrote:

>> One cyclist — targeted by motorbike-riding bikejackers while riding a
>> £15,000 Pinarello Dogma — said it is "normally the same three brands:
>> Pinarello, Bianchi and S-Works", with Brompton also reportedly writing to
>> the Met Police commissioner urging action...
>
> £15 000 for ONE bicycle?

I know... I know... :-)

Re: [Cycling] London cyclejacking ‘decriminalised’

<l40lduFm12fU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=38041&group=uk.rec.cycling#38041

From: aero.spike@mail.com (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: [Cycling] London cyclejacking ‘decriminalised’
Date: 25 Feb 2024 11:08:47 GMT
 by: Spike - Sun, 25 Feb 2024 11:08 UTC

Peter Keller <muzhmuzh@centrum.sk> wrote:
> On 24/02/24 21:54, Spike wrote:

>> One cyclist — targeted by motorbike-riding bikejackers while riding a
>> £15,000 Pinarello Dogma — said it is "normally the same three brands:
>> Pinarello, Bianchi and S-Works", with Brompton also reportedly writing to
>> the Met Police commissioner urging action...

> £15 000 for ONE bicycle?

Quite! It’s the bicyclist version of an SUV, probably Audi or Beemer.

--
Spike

Re: [Cycling] London cyclejacking ‘decriminalised’

<urg6on$21nkf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=38045&group=uk.rec.cycling#38045

From: guddiesx@btinternet.invalid (colwyn)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
alised’
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2024 20:08:53 +0000
 by: colwyn - Sun, 25 Feb 2024 20:08 UTC

On 25/02/2024 01:34, Peter Keller wrote:
> On 24/02/24 21:54, Spike wrote:
>> One cyclist — targeted by motorbike-riding bikejackers while riding a
>> £15,000 Pinarello Dogma — said it is "normally the same three brands:
>> Pinarello, Bianchi and S-Works", with Brompton also reportedly writing to
>> the Met Police commissioner urging action...
>
> £15 000 for ONE bicycle?

Amazing , I got 8 bikes dotted about the place ( Garage and basement)
..This is a collection spanning ages and sizes and even after contacting
freecycling sites, I haven been unable to give them away!!!
However, I might one day feel young again !