From: aero.spike@mail.com (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: [Cycling] Cyclists won’t pay
to enter road races
Date: 28 Feb 2024 09:32:02 GMT
 by: Spike - Wed, 28 Feb 2024 09:32 UTC

“We don’t even have half a field”: Another British bike race cancelled due
to “big downturn” in entries – as local cyclists blame early payment system
and rising fees

The road racing season may only be underway, but it seems like every new
week ushers in another piece of bad news for the domestic British domestic
scene.

Because, while hope remains for the swift return of the Tours of Britain
this year (especially after a four-day women’s stage race popped up on the
UCI calendar last week) below that elite level races are continuing to
struggle in the face of some pretty desperate financial and logistical
headwinds.

Yesterday, Cardiff Ajax CC announced that its well-respected early season
National B race, the Betty Pharoah Memorial – which for 2024 was hoping to
feature its inaugural women’s race – has been cancelled, after entries
closed on Sunday with fewer than half of the spaces for both events filled.

“It’s with deep disappointment that I’ve had to make the decision to cancel
this year’s race,” Rob Warren, organiser of the Cowbridge-based race (won
by a certain Geraint Thomas as a junior way back in 2004), wrote on social
media yesterday.

“It’s a difficult decision and not one that any event organiser wants to
make. I’ve had conversation with BC race officials, NEG, and Reg Pharoah,
whose late wife the race is in memory of. Sadly we’re all in agreement that
this is the right call.

“A lot of time and energy has already gone in to organising this year’s
race from me personally and other stakeholders, but that’s not been
enough.”

He continued: “The reasons that lead to this decision are numerous but the
main two are entries and costs. We don’t even have half a field in either
of the races. The anticipated costs of staging the event are around £5k.
With current entries we’re not even covering half of that.

“If we ignore the finances we simply don’t have enough entries to make the
race viable as a sporting challenge or to ensure the safety of riders.

“We’ll strive to find an answer to this big downturn in entry. A few years
ago at this time I was sending the dreaded declined entry email to over 150
riders. If we can make changes to make the race viable, e.g. date, format,
or another element, we will, and we’ll try again.”

In the wake of the Betty Pharoah Memorial’s cancellation, local racing site
the British Continental tweeted that another race organiser had told them
that changes to British Cycling’s entry system – namely the need for riders
to pay up front for a spot, and only receiving a refund if their entry is
declined due to the race being oversubscribed – have led to entries
dropping across the country.

“Payment leaving the riders bank the day they enter and getting a refund if
they don’t get in rather than the money leaving if they get selected,” the
organiser reportedly told the site, who noted that the change “means that
riders are forced to enter races late as they cannot afford to enter
multiple races in advance, which in turn creates huge uncertainty and worry
for organisers”.

However, Cardiff Ajax CC replied to British Cycling, writing: “That is one
factor for sure but I’m told that’s due to financial regulations and not
BC’s choice.”

So, how do we solve a problem like early payments putting riders off
entering races? While some have speculated that racers could simply
register an interest in an event, or put down a deposit, before paying in
full closer to the time, others noted that any lack of financial commitment
will do little to give organisers – already buckling under an increasing
monetary strain – the necessary reassurance that their race can go ahead
safely.

Meanwhile, two weeks ago Team Spectra Racing general manager Gina Ball
noted on Twitter that the rising entry fees of National A races – with some
hitting £50 plus admin fees – were hindering cycling’s accessibility in the
UK.

Last week, road.cc spoke with British Cycling, who told us that rising fees
were a necessary, and unfortunate, consequence of the increasing
difficulties of holding a bike race in the UK, and that the governing body
was working on making racing affordable for both organisers and
competitors.

We’re hoping to have a more in-depth discussion with British Cycling over
the coming days on the future of the domestic scene, along with Britain’s
national tours, so stay tuned for that…

<https://road.cc/content/news/cycling-live-blog-27-february-2024-306971#live-blog-item-55385>

--
Spike

Re: [Cycling] Cyclists won’t pay to enter road races

<l48g8vFs8ciU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=38061&group=uk.rec.cycling#38061

From: jnugent97@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re:_[Cycling]_Cyclists_won’t_pay_to_enter_r
oad_races
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2024 10:29:51 +0000
 by: JNugent - Wed, 28 Feb 2024 10:29 UTC

On 28/02/2024 09:32 am, Spike wrote:

> [...]
> monetary strain – the necessary reassurance that their race can go ahead
> safely.
>
> Meanwhile, two weeks ago Team Spectra Racing general manager Gina Ball
> noted on Twitter that the rising entry fees of National A races – with some
> hitting £50 plus admin fees – were hindering cycling’s accessibility in the
> UK.
>
> Last week, road.cc spoke with British Cycling, who told us that rising fees
> were a necessary, and unfortunate, consequence of the increasing
> difficulties of holding a bike race in the UK, and that the governing body
> was working on making racing affordable for both organisers and
> competitors.
>
> We’re hoping to have a more in-depth discussion with British Cycling over
> the coming days on the future of the domestic scene, along with Britain’s

Not surprising.

Most chav-cyclists won't even pay €10 pa for usenet access.

And that's 'cos everything should be free for chav-cyclists (meaning
paid for by others).

Re: [Cycling] Cyclists won’t pay to enter road races

<l48nsaFtdjrU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=38063&group=uk.rec.cycling#38063

From: aero.spike@mail.com (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: [Cycling] Cyclists won’t
pay to enter road races
Date: 28 Feb 2024 12:39:38 GMT
 by: Spike - Wed, 28 Feb 2024 12:39 UTC

JNugent <jnugent97@mail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>> hitting £50 plus admin fees – were hindering cycling’s accessibility in the
>> UK.
>>
>> Last week, road.cc spoke with British Cycling, who told us that rising fees
>> were a necessary, and unfortunate, consequence of the increasing
>> difficulties of holding a bike race in the UK, and that the governing body
>> was working on making racing affordable for both organisers and
>> competitors.
>>
>> We’re hoping to have a more in-depth discussion with British Cycling over
>> the coming days on the future of the domestic scene, along with Britain’s
>> national tours, so stay tuned for that…
>>
>> <https://road.cc/content/news/cycling-live-blog-27-february-2024-306971#live-blog-item-55385>
>
> Not surprising.
>
> Most chav-cyclists won't even pay €10 pa for usenet access.
>
> And that's 'cos everything should be free for chav-cyclists (meaning

It’s interesting to note that cyclists with £15000 bicycles won’t pay £50
to cover the organiser’s costs for the race they want to enter. Those costs
doubtless don’t cover clearing up the rubbish discarded on the public roads
by those same cyclists during the race.

--
Spike