From: aero.spike@mail.com (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: [Cycling] In-race drug test rumour, 130 pull out
Date: 8 Mar 2024 12:49:39 GMT
 by: Spike - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 12:49 UTC

“We all know who is and who is not doping”: Cyclists inflamed as 130 riders
abandon Spanish amateur race after news of doping test at the finish line
spread through the peloton

I remember talking about how “back in the day” all the fuss in cycling
would be around doping instead of the long-drawn saga of oddly-shaped
helmets that we have now, in yesterday’s blog…

Well, that’s surely come to bite me back as a shocking report by Spanish
news website Circlo21 (link is external) reveals the potential extent of
doping in the amateur circuit in the country, with 130 riders not finishing
a race in Valencia last weekend after rumours of anti-doping tests at the
finish line spread through the peloton.

At the Interclub Vinalopó race in Alicante, Valencia last Saturday, 182
riders left the start line. However, only 52 made it to the finish, with
reports of riders who were at the front of the peloton suddenly
disappearing once it became known that there would be authorities would be
testing the riders for doping.

Ciclo21 reports that many riders in the peloton suspect several of their
rivals who “allegedly do not respect the rules”. While punctures and
abandons were cited as the main reason for the drastically low finishing
percentage, but the riders said that it was impossible for so many people
to not reach the finish line.

One rider, Álvaro Marzà, who is a usual rider in the regional races and
finished eighth himself, called the mass drop-out a “f****** joke” in an
Instagram post.

“Anti-doping control in Villena = punctures and withdrawals. It is not a
mathematical formula, it is pure reality. Let's see if measures are taken
because this is a f****** joke. By the way, I have passed control!,” he
wrote.

Another rider who chose to stay anonymous told Ciclo21: “We all know who is
and who is not [doping].

“We are fed up with these exhibitions and that when there are controls,
curiously the same as always, they do not finish the races to avoid the
control. Of course without evidence we cannot accuse, but everything is
very evident.

He pointed fingers at one of the riders who was in the leading bunch with
three other riders in the race, but then suddenly disappeared. He added
that last year, one of the racers went so far as to “go off the road and
through the forested mountains” to avoid entering the finish line and not
be caught by the anti-doping personnel. “It’s that sad,” he said.

Race organisers issued a statement saying they were “committed to the fight
against doping and believe it is essential to maintain the integrity of the
sport and protect the health of cyclists”, adding that they follow the UCI
rules allowing for all participants to be subject to random drug testing.

They said: “Doping is a trap that gives cyclists who use it an unfair
advantage over those who compete fairly. Not only is it disrespectful to
the sport and its values, but it can also have serious consequences for the
health of cyclists who dope.

“We want to send a clear message to all cycling participants and fans:
doping has no place in our sport. We support cyclists who compete fairly
and honestly and are determined to protect the integrity of cycling.”

<https://road.cc/content/news/cycling-live-blog-8-march-2024-307169#live-blog-item-55683>

--
Spike