People usually get what's coming to them ... unless it's been mailed.

aus+uk / aus.computers / no cheap internet plans

SubjectAuthor
* no cheap internet plansOzix
+- no cheap internet plansPete
+* no cheap internet plansComputer Nerd Kev
|`- no cheap internet plansOzix
+- no cheap internet plansPetzl
+- no cheap internet plansRod Speed
`- no cheap internet plansPetzl

1
no cheap internet plans

<654c4fe1$1@news.ausics.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3810&group=aus.computers#3810

Newsgroups: aus.computers
From: ozix@xizo.am (Ozix)
Subject: no cheap internet plans
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2023 11:20:01 +0800
 by: Ozix - Thu, 9 Nov 2023 03:20 UTC

After Optus going AWOL yesterday, I thought I need a backup service.
Mobile phone is on different carrier, but can't do some things on a
small screen. I have FFTH, with 4 possible connections. But looking
around, cheapest seems to be $55 a month. Most of those cheap prices are
bait plans that go up after 6 months. Then looking at 4G internet
plans, they are about the same.

Re: no cheap internet plans

<uihqg0$22a0s$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3811&group=aus.computers#3811

From: pjetson@yahoo.com (Pete)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Subject: Re: no cheap internet plans
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2023 16:25:20 +1100
 by: Pete - Thu, 9 Nov 2023 05:25 UTC

On 9/11/2023 2:20 pm, Ozix wrote:

> After Optus going AWOL yesterday, I thought I need a backup service.
> Mobile phone is on different carrier, but can't do some things on a
> small screen. I have FFTH, with 4 possible connections. But looking
> around, cheapest seems to be $55 a month. Most of those cheap prices are
> bait plans  that go up after 6 months. Then looking at 4G internet
> plans, they are about the same.

Have you thought about signing up with Launtel? You can turn their
internet on and off as many times as you like (via a web portal), and
you only pay for the days that you have it turned on.

It's a bit pricey at around $3 per day, but if you only need it now and
again, it's brilliant.

https://launtel.net.au/residential/

I have a referral code if you're interested.

Peter

Re: no cheap internet plans

<654c845c@news.ausics.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3812&group=aus.computers#3812

From: not@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: 9 Nov 2023 17:03:56 +1000
 by: Computer Nerd Kev - Thu, 9 Nov 2023 07:03 UTC

Ozix <ozix@xizo.am> wrote:
> After Optus going AWOL yesterday, I thought I need a backup service.
> Mobile phone is on different carrier, but can't do some things on a
> small screen.

Many smartphones can share their mobile internet connection with a
PC via WiFi.

> I have FFTH, with 4 possible connections. But looking
> around, cheapest seems to be $55 a month. Most of those cheap prices are
> bait plans that go up after 6 months. Then looking at 4G internet
> plans, they are about the same.

You could get a cheap SIM card starter pack and only activate it
when you need it using your phone, then use the included data.
It'll expire eventually (the expiry date should be printed
somewhere on the packet), but you might find one that will last
a few years.

I do this routinely and only pay around $30 per year for my home
internet access that way.

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _# | Note: I won't see posts made from Google Groups |

Re: no cheap internet plans

<f5a133f7-17f2-4bcb-bf2d-470c8dc103c5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3813&group=aus.computers#3813

Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2023 01:31:58 -0800 (PST)
From: petzlx@gmail.com (Petzl)
 by: Petzl - Thu, 9 Nov 2023 09:31 UTC

On Thursday, November 9, 2023 at 2:20:06 PM UTC+11, Ozix wrote:
> After Optus going AWOL yesterday, I thought I need a backup service.
> Mobile phone is on different carrier, but can't do some things on a
> small screen. I have FFTH, with 4 possible connections. But looking
> around, cheapest seems to be $55 a month. Most of those cheap prices are
> bait plans that go up after 6 months. Then looking at 4G internet
> plans, they are about the same.

I'm with Amaysim $10 28 day for free calls and text!
First time they have had an outage.
No biggie for me, I have Skype for Wi-Fi phone calls
I use this for international call and are clear and cheap.
When for the first time Optus bit the dust, made my calls with Skype

Re: no cheap internet plans

<654cd7ea$1@news.ausics.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3814&group=aus.computers#3814

Newsgroups: aus.computers
From: ozix@xizo.am (Ozix)
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2023 21:00:26 +0800
 by: Ozix - Thu, 9 Nov 2023 13:00 UTC

Computer Nerd Kev wrote:
> Ozix <ozix@xizo.am> wrote:
>> After Optus going AWOL yesterday, I thought I need a backup service.
>> Mobile phone is on different carrier, but can't do some things on a
>> small screen.
>
> Many smartphones can share their mobile internet connection with a
> PC via WiFi.
>
>> I have FFTH, with 4 possible connections. But looking
>> around, cheapest seems to be $55 a month. Most of those cheap prices are
>> bait plans that go up after 6 months. Then looking at 4G internet
>> plans, they are about the same.
>
> You could get a cheap SIM card starter pack and only activate it
> when you need it using your phone, then use the included data.
> It'll expire eventually (the expiry date should be printed
> somewhere on the packet), but you might find one that will last
> a few years.
>
> I do this routinely and only pay around $30 per year for my home
> internet access that way.

I thought about that. There are "unlocked" 4G USB dongles on
eBay/Amazon, but I am not sure they would cover all
Telstra/Optus/Vodafone frequencies.

Re: no cheap internet plans

<op.2d5ihrzubyq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3815&group=aus.computers#3815

From: rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2023 03:52:29 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Thu, 9 Nov 2023 16:52 UTC

Ozix <ozix@xizo.am> wrote

> After Optus going AWOL yesterday, I thoughtI need a backup service.
> Mobile phone is ondifferent carrier, but can't do some things ona small
> screen.

Nothing to stop you using the mobile service as a hotspot.

> I have FFTH, with 4 possible connections. But looking around, cheapest
> seems to be $55 a month. Most ofthose cheap prices are bait plans that
> go up after 6 months.

But there is nothing to stop you changing the RSP every 6 months.

> Then looking at 4G internet plans, they are about the same.

Some are offering $35 plans for seniors.

Re: no cheap internet plans

<bljqkiptoqlc314eh7a999fg3kfpoa8gg5@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3816&group=aus.computers#3816

From: petzlx@gmail.com (Petzl)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2023 08:47:11 +1100
 by: Petzl - Thu, 9 Nov 2023 21:47 UTC

On Thu, 9 Nov 2023 11:20:01 +0800, Ozix <ozix@xizo.am> wrote:

>After Optus going AWOL yesterday, I thought I need a backup service.
>Mobile phone is on different carrier, but can't do some things on a
>small screen. I have FFTH, with 4 possible connections. But looking
>around, cheapest seems to be $55 a month. Most of those cheap prices are
>bait plans that go up after 6 months. Then looking at 4G internet
>plans, they are about the same.

Still Cheap as chips Mine locked into 28 days $10, 4GB data which I
never fully use so much free Wi-Fi around
112.11GB Available data Renews in 23 days

<https://www.amaysim.com.au/sim-plans/28-day-sim-plans/unlimited-small>
$12 first 3 renewales then jumps to $18 every 28 days
Unlimited talk & text
Standard talk, SMS and MMS to mobiles & landlines
Calls to 13 & 18 numbers, and voicemail

First lime I had an Amaysim outage, been here 10 years or more?
Lucky, I use Skype to make Wi-Fi overseas calls.
Works well on my Smart Android phone to make local calls as well
Very clear on my Motorola G 5G plus, even Sydney Trains have good Fast
Wi-Fi to use free.
On Android, use a Virus detector like BitDefender $20 a year
--
Petzl
Good lawyers know the law

justice is open to all; like the Ritz hotel
High Court reveals every current judge is a
member of Qantas’ ‘most exclusive club in Australia’
The High Court has exposed secret members of Qantas’
exclusive Chairman’s Lounge amid a landmark case over
the sacking of 1700 workers.