From: aero.spike@mail.com (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: [Cycling] e-bike deaths: safety compliance mooted
Date: 15 Mar 2024 19:34:53 GMT
 by: Spike - Fri, 15 Mar 2024 19:34 UTC

Regulator looking at 60 UK e-bike and e-scooter firms to assess safety
compliance

by Alex Bowden Mar 15 2024

“Initial discussions” held with British Standards Institution on
introduction of new safety standards for e-bike conversion kits

Writing in response to a prevention of future deaths report (PFD), the
Office for Product Safety and Standards (OPSS) says it is assessing the
compliance of 60 UK-based businesses involved in the supply of e-bikes,
e-scooters or conversion kits. The body says it has already published 10
separate product recalls and nine other enforcement actions for unsafe or
non-compliant e-bikes or e-scooters in the last 12 months.

In January, coroner Ian Potter issued a PFD after investigating the death
of Bobby Lee in London in July 2023. Potter concluded that Lee died of
smoke inhalation in a house fire caused by the over-charging of a
lithium-ion e-bike battery.

> Are e-bike batteries safe? What’s the difference between a safe battery and a fire risk?

The bike in question was fitted with a second-hand conversion kit which was
then combined with a charger bought separately from an online marketplace.
The charger had a substantially different voltage rating to the battery and
the battery was not fitted with a battery management system.

Concerns

Among Potter’s wider concerns were that lithium-ion batteries sold as part
of e-bike conversion kits are regularly sold without a charger and that,
“chargers for sale on online marketplaces, in particular, regularly fail to
meet appropriate standards.”

These comments echoed those of Adam Smith, coroner for Inner North London,
who had issued a previous PFD in response to the death of Mizanur Rahman in
March 2023 following a fire caused by a faulty e-bike battery.

As a result of these and other incidents, the charity Electrical Safety
First (ESF) is calling for:

A ban on the sale of universal chargers for e-micromobility vehicles
The development of a product standard specific to conversion kits
New legislation to make online marketplaces take reasonable steps to
prevent or delist unbranded and potentially non-compliant conversion kits
> Ban on ‘universal’ e-bike chargers and safety standards for conversion
> kits among recommendations from electrical safety charity

In its response to Potter’s PFD, the OPSS emphasised that, “the UK’s
product safety laws already require that only safe consumer products be
placed on the market. Manufacturers or importers are required to ensure
their products, including e-bikes, e-scooters, their batteries or
conversion kits, are safe and there are criminal penalties for those that
don’t comply. In addition, distributors, including online marketplaces,
must not supply products they know, or should know, are unsafe.”

Enforcement

Many – including the family of Sofia Duarte, who was killed in a fire
caused by a converted e-bike battery in 2023 – are however calling for
stricter enforcement of these standards.

The OPSS said that both it and Local Authority Trading Standards are
responsible for enforcing product safety requirements and that action was
being taken.

It said ithas published 10 separate product recalls and nine other
enforcement actions for unsafe or non-compliant e-bikes or e-scooters
(mostly e-scooters) since March last year, including the removal from the
market of the dangerous UPP battery.

conversion kits.

“The product safety issues around these products remain complex: products
may be safe and compliant with the law when sold, but not when they are
modified, or when used in a combination which is not compatible, as appears
to have been the case in this tragic fatality.”

Safety standards for e-bike conversion kits

The body also said it was pursuing a new “fast-track” standard for e-bike
conversion kits and that initial discussions had been held with the British
Standards Institution (BSI) on the preparation of a publicly available
specification (PAS) to cover technical and safety standards.

> ‘Buying a complete e-bike is generally safer’ – new government guidance
> uneasy about DIY conversions

“This new standard will not change the existing legal requirements, and,
like the vast majority of standards, it will be voluntary. However, it will
function to create and communicate expectations in this important market
area and assist businesses in meeting the existing legal safety
requirements for conversion kits. All British Standards are drawn up by
committees and made by consensus which necessarily takes time. But we are
using a fast-track route and would hope that the standard could be in place
for businesses to use within the next 12-18 months.”

The OPSS also said the Government was “analysing responses” to a recent
consultation on its Product Safety Review, which, among other things, seeks
to address concerns regarding the ease with which unsafe products can be
sold online.

The Government’s response on this is expected later this year.

<https://ebiketips.road.cc/content/news/regulator-looking-at-60-uk-e-bike-and-e-scooter-firms-to-assess-safety-compliance-5219>

--
Spike