You may worry about your hair-do today, but tomorrow much peanut butter will be sold.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Auriol Grey released on bail...

SubjectAuthor
* Auriol Grey released on bail...JNugent
`* Re: Auriol Grey released on bail...Spike
 `* Re: Auriol Grey released on bail...Brian
  `* Re: Auriol Grey released on bail...Spike
   `* Re: Auriol Grey released on bail...JNugent
    +* Re: Auriol Grey released on bail...Spike
    |`- Re: Auriol Grey released on bail...JNugent
    `- Re: Auriol Grey released on bail...Brian

1
Auriol Grey released on bail...

<l683iiFltmeU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=38123&group=uk.rec.cycling#38123

From: jnugent97@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Auriol Grey released on bail...
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2024 13:25:37 +0000
 by: JNugent - Sat, 23 Mar 2024 13:25 UTC

<https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-68641891>

QUOTE:
A disabled woman whose actions led to the death of a pensioner cycling
on a pavement has been released from prison pending an appeal against
her conviction.
Auriol Grey, 50, shouted towards retired midwife Celia Ward, 77, causing
her to fall into the road in Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire, in 2020.
Grey was given a three-year jail term for unlawful manslaughter last year.
A Court of Appeal official told the BBC that she had been released on bail.
Three judges gave Grey, of Bradbury Place, Huntingdon, the go-ahead to
appeal against her conviction at a recent Court of Appeal hearing in London.
A bail application was granted and judges are expected to oversee a full
appeal hearing in May.
She is understood to have returned home.
The Court of Appeal heard Grey was charged with unlawful act
manslaughter, which required that an unlawful action should take place
to cause death.
Her lawyers argued that no such action was considered by the jury at the
original trial.
"Auriol Grey is an autistic, disabled person with impaired vision," said
solicitor Ben Rose.
"In a case such as this, the prosecution is required to prove to the
jury that she intended to cause Mrs Ward harm, or fear of harm.
"We say this did not happen, and as a result will ask the Court of
Appeal when the case is heard in May to quash Ms Grey's conviction."
ENDQUOTE

It's heartening to be able to conclude that Ms Grey's home is still
available to her (as also, presumably, are her possessions contained
within it).

Let's cross our fingers for Ms Grey, who was, after all, arguably the
victim in this case.

BTW: The BBC says: "A disabled woman whose actions led to the death of a
pensioner cycling on a pavement..."

The whole point of the appeal and Ms Grey's defence was that she did not
cause the death. And in any case, the collision with another vehicle
unarguably occurred on the carriageway.

Re: Auriol Grey released on bail...

<l686giFmakiU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=38124&group=uk.rec.cycling#38124

From: aero.spike@mail.com (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Auriol Grey released on bail...
Date: 23 Mar 2024 14:15:46 GMT
 by: Spike - Sat, 23 Mar 2024 14:15 UTC

JNugent <jnugent97@mail.com> wrote:
> <https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-68641891>
>
> QUOTE:
> A disabled woman whose actions led to the death of a pensioner cycling
> on a pavement has been released from prison pending an appeal against
> her conviction.
> Auriol Grey, 50, shouted towards retired midwife Celia Ward, 77, causing
> her to fall into the road in Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire, in 2020.
> Grey was given a three-year jail term for unlawful manslaughter last year.
> A Court of Appeal official told the BBC that she had been released on bail.
> Three judges gave Grey, of Bradbury Place, Huntingdon, the go-ahead to
> appeal against her conviction at a recent Court of Appeal hearing in London.
> A bail application was granted and judges are expected to oversee a full
> appeal hearing in May.
> She is understood to have returned home.
> The Court of Appeal heard Grey was charged with unlawful act
> manslaughter, which required that an unlawful action should take place
> to cause death.
> Her lawyers argued that no such action was considered by the jury at the
> original trial.
> "Auriol Grey is an autistic, disabled person with impaired vision," said
> solicitor Ben Rose.
> "In a case such as this, the prosecution is required to prove to the
> jury that she intended to cause Mrs Ward harm, or fear of harm.
> "We say this did not happen, and as a result will ask the Court of
> Appeal when the case is heard in May to quash Ms Grey's conviction."
> ENDQUOTE

APPLAUSE! CHEERS!

> It's heartening to be able to conclude that Ms Grey's home is still
> available to her (as also, presumably, are her possessions contained
> within it).

That is good news too.

> Let's cross our fingers for Ms Grey, who was, after all, arguably the
> victim in this case.

> BTW: The BBC says: "A disabled woman whose actions led to the death of a
> pensioner cycling on a pavement..."

Like their pound of flesh, don’t they, the Guardian readers of the BBC.

> The whole point of the appeal and Ms Grey's defence was that she did not
> cause the death. And in any case, the collision with another vehicle
> unarguably occurred on the carriageway.

Exactly. Let’s hope she’s due £££££ in compo.

--
Spike

Re: Auriol Grey released on bail...

<utvg2h$2ceg5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=38128&group=uk.rec.cycling#38128

From: noinv@lid.org (Brian)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2024 21:52:17 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:XFXej3nnVyMesUoT74UY9mlw5ts=
 by: Brian - Tue, 26 Mar 2024 21:52 UTC

Spike <aero.spike@mail.com> wrote:
> JNugent <jnugent97@mail.com> wrote:
>> <https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-68641891>
>>
>> QUOTE:
>> A disabled woman whose actions led to the death of a pensioner cycling
>> on a pavement has been released from prison pending an appeal against
>> her conviction.
>> Auriol Grey, 50, shouted towards retired midwife Celia Ward, 77, causing
>> her to fall into the road in Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire, in 2020.
>> Grey was given a three-year jail term for unlawful manslaughter last year.
>> A Court of Appeal official told the BBC that she had been released on bail.
>> Three judges gave Grey, of Bradbury Place, Huntingdon, the go-ahead to
>> appeal against her conviction at a recent Court of Appeal hearing in London.
>> A bail application was granted and judges are expected to oversee a full
>> appeal hearing in May.
>> She is understood to have returned home.
>> The Court of Appeal heard Grey was charged with unlawful act
>> manslaughter, which required that an unlawful action should take place
>> to cause death.
>> Her lawyers argued that no such action was considered by the jury at the
>> original trial.
>> "Auriol Grey is an autistic, disabled person with impaired vision," said
>> solicitor Ben Rose.
>> "In a case such as this, the prosecution is required to prove to the
>> jury that she intended to cause Mrs Ward harm, or fear of harm.
>> "We say this did not happen, and as a result will ask the Court of
>> Appeal when the case is heard in May to quash Ms Grey's conviction."
>> ENDQUOTE
>
> APPLAUSE! CHEERS!
>
>> It's heartening to be able to conclude that Ms Grey's home is still
>> available to her (as also, presumably, are her possessions contained
>> within it).
>
> That is good news too.
>
>> Let's cross our fingers for Ms Grey, who was, after all, arguably the
>> victim in this case.
>
>> BTW: The BBC says: "A disabled woman whose actions led to the death of a
>> pensioner cycling on a pavement..."
>
> Like their pound of flesh, don’t they, the Guardian readers of the BBC.
>
>> The whole point of the appeal and Ms Grey's defence was that she did not
>> cause the death. And in any case, the collision with another vehicle
>> unarguably occurred on the carriageway.
>
> Exactly. Let’s hope she’s due £££££ in compo.

Indeed.

The money should come from the Judge and the police involved personally.

Re: Auriol Grey released on bail...

<l6h0olF3rgbU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=38129&group=uk.rec.cycling#38129

From: aero.spike@mail.com (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 26 Mar 2024 22:32:53 GMT
 by: Spike - Tue, 26 Mar 2024 22:32 UTC

Brian <noinv@lid.org> wrote:
> Spike <aero.spike@mail.com> wrote:
>> JNugent <jnugent97@mail.com> wrote:
>>> <https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-68641891>
>>>
>>> QUOTE:
>>> A disabled woman whose actions led to the death of a pensioner cycling
>>> on a pavement has been released from prison pending an appeal against
>>> her conviction.
>>> Auriol Grey, 50, shouted towards retired midwife Celia Ward, 77, causing
>>> her to fall into the road in Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire, in 2020.
>>> Grey was given a three-year jail term for unlawful manslaughter last year.
>>> A Court of Appeal official told the BBC that she had been released on bail.
>>> Three judges gave Grey, of Bradbury Place, Huntingdon, the go-ahead to
>>> appeal against her conviction at a recent Court of Appeal hearing in London.
>>> A bail application was granted and judges are expected to oversee a full
>>> appeal hearing in May.
>>> She is understood to have returned home.
>>> The Court of Appeal heard Grey was charged with unlawful act
>>> manslaughter, which required that an unlawful action should take place
>>> to cause death.
>>> Her lawyers argued that no such action was considered by the jury at the
>>> original trial.
>>> "Auriol Grey is an autistic, disabled person with impaired vision," said
>>> solicitor Ben Rose.
>>> "In a case such as this, the prosecution is required to prove to the
>>> jury that she intended to cause Mrs Ward harm, or fear of harm.
>>> "We say this did not happen, and as a result will ask the Court of
>>> Appeal when the case is heard in May to quash Ms Grey's conviction."
>>> ENDQUOTE
>>
>> APPLAUSE! CHEERS!
>>
>>> It's heartening to be able to conclude that Ms Grey's home is still
>>> available to her (as also, presumably, are her possessions contained
>>> within it).
>>
>> That is good news too.
>>
>>> Let's cross our fingers for Ms Grey, who was, after all, arguably the
>>> victim in this case.
>>
>>> BTW: The BBC says: "A disabled woman whose actions led to the death of a
>>> pensioner cycling on a pavement..."
>>
>> Like their pound of flesh, don’t they, the Guardian readers of the BBC.
>>
>>> The whole point of the appeal and Ms Grey's defence was that she did not
>>> cause the death. And in any case, the collision with another vehicle
>>> unarguably occurred on the carriageway.
>>
>> Exactly. Let’s hope she’s due £££££ in compo.
>>

> Indeed.
>
> The money should come from the Judge and the police involved personally.

Should Auriol Grey have her conviction quashed, surely that means that the
judge made some kind of error? If so, does that mean he gets sanctioned in
some way, or undergo some form of training?

--
Spike

Re: Auriol Grey released on bail...

<l6irubFc9kqU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=38130&group=uk.rec.cycling#38130

From: jnugent97@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2024 15:22:51 +0000
 by: JNugent - Wed, 27 Mar 2024 15:22 UTC

On 26/03/2024 10:32 pm, Spike wrote:
> Brian <noinv@lid.org> wrote:
>> Spike <aero.spike@mail.com> wrote:

>>> APPLAUSE! CHEERS!

>>> That is good news too.

>>> Like their pound of flesh, don’t they, the Guardian readers of the BBC.

>>> Exactly. Let’s hope she’s due £££££ in compo.
>>>

>> Indeed.
>>
>> The money should come from the Judge and the police involved personally.
>
> Should Auriol Grey have her conviction quashed, surely that means that the
> judge made some kind of error? If so, does that mean he gets sanctioned in
> some way, or undergo some form of training?

It was the jury who returned the verdict, albeit perhaps under defective
directions from the judge.

Re: Auriol Grey released on bail...

<l6j289Fda8fU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=38131&group=uk.rec.cycling#38131

From: aero.spike@mail.com (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 27 Mar 2024 17:10:33 GMT
 by: Spike - Wed, 27 Mar 2024 17:10 UTC

JNugent <jnugent97@mail.com> wrote:
> On 26/03/2024 10:32 pm, Spike wrote:
>> Brian <noinv@lid.org> wrote:

>>> Indeed.
>>>
>>> The money should come from the Judge and the police involved personally.
>>
>> Should Auriol Grey have her conviction quashed, surely that means that the
>> judge made some kind of error? If so, does that mean he gets sanctioned in
>> some way, or undergo some form of training?
>
> It was the jury who returned the verdict, albeit perhaps under defective
> directions from the judge.

The latter is what I was driving at…oops, can I say that in a cycling
group, cyclists being so touchy?

But anyway, I’ll continue to monitor progress in the case, and hope that
this time the justice system arrives at the right answer.

Parenthetically, I can see another ’war of words’ between the protagonists
on the legal group when this result is promulgated…🪖

--
Spike

Re: Auriol Grey released on bail...

<l6jt7tFh5ftU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=38132&group=uk.rec.cycling#38132

From: jnugent97@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2024 00:51:09 +0000
 by: JNugent - Thu, 28 Mar 2024 00:51 UTC

On 27/03/2024 05:10 pm, Spike wrote:

> JNugent <jnugent97@mail.com> wrote:

[ ... ]

>>> Should Auriol Grey have her conviction quashed, surely that means that the
>>> judge made some kind of error? If so, does that mean he gets sanctioned in
>>> some way, or undergo some form of training?
>
>> It was the jury who returned the verdict, albeit perhaps under defective
>> directions from the judge.
>
> The latter is what I was driving at…oops, can I say that in a cycling
> group, cyclists being so touchy?
> But anyway, I’ll continue to monitor progress in the case, and hope that
> this time the justice system arrives at the right answer.
> Parenthetically, I can see another ’war of words’ between the protagonists
> on the legal group when this result is promulgated…🪖

;-)

Re: Auriol Grey released on bail...

<uugnff$35g5u$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=38138&group=uk.rec.cycling#38138

From: noinv@lid.org (Brian)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2024 10:42:55 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:5dJCwh22foA+HaRG9NzaF1RlZ/A=
 by: Brian - Tue, 2 Apr 2024 10:42 UTC

JNugent <jnugent97@mail.com> wrote:
> On 26/03/2024 10:32 pm, Spike wrote:
>> Brian <noinv@lid.org> wrote:

>>> Indeed.
>>>
>>> The money should come from the Judge and the police involved personally.
>>
>> Should Auriol Grey have her conviction quashed, surely that means that the
>> judge made some kind of error? If so, does that mean he gets sanctioned in
>> some way, or undergo some form of training?
>
> It was the jury who returned the verdict, albeit perhaps under defective
> directions from the judge.

The jury were fed misleading information, including the status of the
pavement- which was pedestrian only.

The cyclist lost control / fell off her bike while riding on a pavement
illegally. There is no evidence she was pushed. At most she was shouted at,
not unreasonably, given Ms Grey was in fear of being injured or worse.

Ms Grey should not only be released but receive substantial compensation -
personally funded by those involved in this prosecution.