From: aero.spike@mail.com (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Babboe recalls 22000 cargo bikes
Date: 2 Apr 2024 18:38:43 GMT
 by: Spike - Tue, 2 Apr 2024 18:38 UTC

Netherlands

Dutch cargo bike firm Babboe recalls 22,000 cycles over safety fears

First bikes will be collected in the Netherlands and Germany in mid-April,
with other countries following afterwards

Agence France-Presse in The Hague
Tue 2 Apr 2024 14.53 BST

The Dutch cargo bike firm Babboe is recalling 22,000 of its popular cycles
over safety fears, about one-third of its bikes on the road.

Babboe had already announced a recall of two models in February but said a
further five models were a concern.

“In total, in all countries where Babboe is sold, approximately 22,000
cargo bikes are being recalled and replaced,” the company said.

The first cargo bikes will be collected in the Netherlands and Germany in
mid-April, with other countries following afterwards.

“All owners of these models will be offered a new (cargo) bike,” Babboe
said.

Cargo bikes, or “bakfiets” in Dutch, feature a large wooden crate at the
front to transport children – or dogs – and are ubiquitous in the
Netherlands.

“The majority of our customers can get back on the road after an
inspection/repair,” Gerard Feenema, the director of Babboe, said in a
statement.

“We understand that this is annoying for our customers, and have therefore
done our best to find a suitable solution and compensate them,” he added.
“Our goal is to get everyone back on the road safely.”

In February, the Dutch Food and Consumer Product Safety Authority concluded
there were “defects in the frame and/or other parts” on some Babboe bikes
that could lead to “serious injury”.

<https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/apr/02/babboe-dutch-cargo-bike-firm-safety-recall>

--
Spike