From: aero.spike@mail.com (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Cyclists in pedestrian areas ‘picked
on’
Date: 4 Apr 2024 09:42:08 GMT
 by: Spike - Thu, 4 Apr 2024 09:42 UTC

“They have all the resources in the world to pick on cyclists”: Council
slammed for stopping and fining cyclists on pedestrianised city centre
street

South Wales Police has issued over a dozen Fixed Penalty Notices to
cyclists riding on the “popular” city centre route in the last two months

by ADWITIYA PAL. FRI, JAN 12, 2024 15:57

Cyclists have slammed Cardiff City Council's latest social media post about
the crackdown on cyclists on the only pedestrianised street in the city
centre, raising concerns about the rising trend of picking on cyclists,
including commuters and delivery riders who are allegedly seen as easy
targets by the police.

In the social media post, the council states that city centre wardens,
joined forces with South Wales Police to enforce the no-cycling rule along
Queen Street. It said: "Between October-December, OpCastor has seen: 504
cyclists stopped, 98 stolen OvoBikes seized, 14 fixed penalty notices
issued, [and] two Section 59s issued to electric scooter riders."

Queen Street is one of the three major streets curtailed off to vehicles in
Cardiff's city centre. However, it is the only one where cycling is
officially banned. In fact, it has been illegal ever since the street was
pedestrianised in 1974, yet it is far from an uncommon sight to see riders,
partially because it is a busy shopping area with a number of cafes and
retail stores, as well as because it runs along the horizontal length of
almost the entirety of the city centre, starting from Newport Road on one
end and opening up at Duke Street on the other.

The cyclists stopped and fined in the past couple of months were part of
Operation Castor, a SWP initiative aimed at "tackling bike crime through
education and enforcement", with people signing up with the force as police
community support officers (PSCO) and taking on the responsibility of
dealing with cyclists illegally riding on Queen Street.

The reaction to the council revealing the figures on social media has been
sort of mixed, with some people agreeing that cycling shouldn't be allowed
and even asking for further bans in the rest of the city centre. However,
cyclists seemed to be in unison in criticising the council's decision to
police cyclists strictly while ignoring other behaviours which could
potentially endanger pedestrians and wheelers, such as pavement parking and
speeding.

Michael Young said: "Cycling should be allowed on Queen Street. It's wide
enough for a designated section to be put aside. This is anti-cycling
nonsense. Shame on you all.", while another Twitter account named Scowling
Monkey wrote: "Please can we see instead a focus on the awful driving
standards around the city. They put far more citizens at risk of severe
injury or death than a few folk cycling down Queen Street. I am far more
interested in seeing you crack down on irresponsible and dangerous
drivers."

Another account on Twitter called @closepassescdf, which documents near
misses by motorists on cyclists in Cardiff, asked the council if Operation
Castor still potentially breaking the law by targeting disabled cyclists
with adapted bikes, as was allegedly confirmed by the council's official
social media account last year.

Meanwhile, Penny Dinh on Twitter said: "The council can’t afford to pay bin
collectors liveable wages (link is external). The council has no resources
to crack down on landlords guilty of illegal evictions. Yet they have all
the resources in the world to pick on cyclists, many of whom are precarious
gig-economy workers. Make it make sense!"

On Facebook, Paul Rock argued that if Queen Street was pedestrianised
today, it would have been designed to allow cycling as other streets have
been. He added: "The police always has the power to deal with people who
cycle dangerously. The status and design of Queen Street needs to be
reviewed in the light of why it has become such a popular route for
cyclists."

road.cc has contacted Cardiff City Council for comment.

Despite cycling being banned on Queen Street, it is not however, a breach
of the infamous Public Space Protection Order (PSPO), which has been used
by many councils in the last couple of years to charge hefty fines from
cyclists.

Just last month, North Lincolnshire Council said that it has "escalated"
and “intensified” its "war on cycling menaces" by implementing a complete
ban on riding a bike in pedestrianised zones, as part of a wider crackdown
on anti-social behaviour.

Following a public consultation earlier this year, the council announced
the PSPO will be in place in Scunthorpe and Brigg, while also introducing
stronger powers and increasing fines for what the local authority described
as the "scourge" of "irresponsible behaviour".

In March, the North Lincolnshire Council leader Rob Waltham came under fire
from cyclists for his rhetoric. He said: “Residents are fed up and we are
fed up with that small minority of people who think the rules do not apply
to them.

"We have taken a zero-tolerance approach to anti-social behaviour, and we
have spent a great deal of time - and taxpayers' money - to crack down on
these people already. Despite this, they just will not listen nor learn.

In the past, PSPOs have also been used to target the elderly as well. In
2022, an 82-year-old cyclist was fined £100 for riding in the Grimsby town
centre. However, he defied them by saying he would rather go to jail than a
pay a fine.

"I've been riding my bike around here for 40 years and have never once been
fined," he said. "When he gave it to me I told him, 'stick it up your
arse'."

<https://road.cc/content/news/council-slammed-fining-cyclists-city-centre-street-306165>

--
Spike

Re: Cyclists in pedestrian areas ‘picked on’

<l77pspFhccvU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=38145&group=uk.rec.cycling#38145

From: jnugent97@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re:_Cyclists_in_pedestrian_areas_‘picked_on

Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2024 14:56:41 +0100
 by: JNugent - Thu, 4 Apr 2024 13:56 UTC

On 04/04/2024 10:42 am, Spike wrote:

> “They have all the resources in the world to pick on cyclists”: Council
> slammed for stopping and fining cyclists on pedestrianised city centre
> street
>
> South Wales Police has issued over a dozen Fixed Penalty Notices to
> cyclists riding on the “popular” city centre route in the last two months

Is that all?

I bet they could issue that many per hour if they'd really a mind for it.

> [...]
> with adapted bikes, as was allegedly confirmed by the council's official
> social media account last year.
>
> Meanwhile, Penny Dinh on Twitter said: "The council can’t afford to pay bin
> collectors liveable wages (link is external). The council has no resources
> to crack down on landlords guilty of illegal evictions. Yet they have all
> the resources in the world to pick on cyclists, many of whom are precarious
> gig-economy workers. Make it make sense!"
>
> On Facebook, Paul Rock argued that if Queen Street was pedestrianised
> today, it would have been designed to allow cycling as other streets have
> been. He added: "The police always has [sic] the power to deal with people who
> cycle dangerously. The status and design of Queen Street needs [sic] to be
> reviewed in the light of why it has become such a popular route for

So LOTS of chavs on chav-bikes break the law there and ride without due
consideration for pedestrians or the law?

> road.cc has contacted Cardiff City Council for comment.
>
> Despite cycling being banned on Queen Street, it is not however, a breach
> of the infamous Public Space Protection Order (PSPO), which has been used
> by many councils in the last couple of years to charge hefty fines from
> cyclists.
>
> Just last month, North Lincolnshire Council said that it has "escalated"
> and “intensified” its "war on cycling menaces" by implementing a complete
> ban on riding a bike in pedestrianised zones, as part of a wider crackdown
> on anti-social behaviour.
>
> Following a public consultation earlier this year, the council announced
> the PSPO will be in place in Scunthorpe and Brigg, while also introducing
> stronger powers and increasing fines for what the local authority described
> as the "scourge" of "irresponsible behaviour".
>
> In March, the North Lincolnshire Council leader Rob Waltham came under fire
> from cyclists for his rhetoric. He said: “Residents are fed up and we are
> fed up with that small minority of people who think the rules do not apply
> to them.

Exactly. It's the majority of chav-cyclists, but they are a minority of
the travelling public.

> "We have taken a zero-tolerance approach to anti-social behaviour, and we
> have spent a great deal of time - and taxpayers' money - to crack down on
> these people already. Despite this, they just will not listen nor learn.

That's chav-cyclists for you.

> In the past, PSPOs have also been used to target the elderly as well. In
> 2022, an 82-year-old cyclist was fined £100 for riding in the Grimsby town
> centre. However, he defied them by saying he would rather go to jail than a
> pay a fine.
>
> "I've been riding my bike around here for 40 years and have never once been
> fined," he said. "When he gave it to me I told him, 'stick it up your
> arse'."
>
> <https://road.cc/content/news/council-slammed-fining-cyclists-city-centre-street-306165>

Oi!

Michael Young, Scowling Monkey, Penny Dinh, Paul Rock and
@closepassescdf and all other chav-cyclists of a similar mind...

It's SO EASY to avoid being "picked on".

Just don't break the law. Don't ride your chav-cycles on footways, or in
pedestrian or pedestrianised areas. Stop at red traffic lights (they
apply to you!), don't go the wrong way along one-way streets, etc, etc.

Then no-one will be able to "pick on" you for committing the offences
you currently commit.

Re: Cyclists in pedestrian areas ‘picked on’

<l77t78FhsaiU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=38146&group=uk.rec.cycling#38146

From: aero.spike@mail.com (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Cyclists in pedestrian areas
‘picked on’
Date: 4 Apr 2024 14:53:28 GMT
 by: Spike - Thu, 4 Apr 2024 14:53 UTC

JNugent <jnugent97@mail.com> wrote:
> On 04/04/2024 10:42 am, Spike wrote:

>> “They have all the resources in the world to pick on cyclists”: Council
>> slammed for stopping and fining cyclists on pedestrianised city centre street

[…]

>> <https://road.cc/content/news/council-slammed-fining-cyclists-city-centre-street-306165>

> Oi!
>
> Michael Young, Scowling Monkey, Penny Dinh, Paul Rock and
> @closepassescdf and all other chav-cyclists of a similar mind...
>
> It's SO EASY to avoid being "picked on".
>
> Just don't break the law. Don't ride your chav-cycles on footways, or in
> pedestrian or pedestrianised areas. Stop at red traffic lights (they
> apply to you!), don't go the wrong way along one-way streets, etc, etc.
>
> Then no-one will be able to "pick on" you for committing the offences
> you currently commit.

One would think that not breaking the law would be a reasonable and
straightforward modus, but cyclists, who know what the law is for other
people such as drivers, think that it doesn’t apply to them! And don’t they
squeal when caught!

--
Spike