<wichert> 8am is an ungoldly hour to be awake :) * gorgo usually gets up at 11am

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Judgement: And this was on a shared path…

SubjectAuthor
* Judgement: And this was on a shared path…Spike
+* Re: Judgement: And this was on a shared path…Nick Finnigan
|+- Re: Judgement: And this was on a shared path…Spike
|`- Re: Judgement: And this was on a shared path…JNugent
`* Re: Judgement: And this was on a shared path…JNugent
 `- Re: Judgement: And this was on a shared path…Spike

1
Judgement: And this was on a shared path…

<l7f4doFkjlqU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=38151&group=uk.rec.cycling#38151

From: aero.spike@mail.com (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Judgement: And this was on a shared
path…
Date: 7 Apr 2024 08:39:20 GMT
 by: Spike - Sun, 7 Apr 2024 08:39 UTC

This should be compulsory reading for all cyclists.

<https://www.scotcourts.gov.uk/docs/default-source/cos-general-docs/pdf-docs-for-opinions/2024csoh39.pdf>

Perhaps one thing that comes out of this dismal account is that aerobars
should be banned for use on bicycles used in public spaces. See, for
example:

<https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mGpls1pxGOA>

Another might be that when approaching an unsigned junction, treat it as a
Give Way.

The Highway Code, as it regards cyclists, needs some amendments. Cycling on
a footway should, in any legal proceedings, automatically count as failing
to acknowledge the rights of pedestrians.

--
Spike

Re: Judgement: And this was on a shared path…

<uutmgc$2m9vj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=38152&group=uk.rec.cycling#38152

From: nix@genie.co.uk (Nick Finnigan)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re:_Judgement:_And_this_was_on_a_shared_path…
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2024 09:46:05 +0100
 by: Nick Finnigan - Sun, 7 Apr 2024 08:46 UTC

On 07/04/2024 09:39, Spike wrote:

> The Highway Code, as it regards cyclists, needs some amendments. Cycling on
> a footway should, in any legal proceedings, automatically count as failing
> to acknowledge the rights of pedestrians.

So they have to walk their vehicles across a footway to the carriageway
or building at the start and end of journeys? And motorists too?

Re: Judgement: And this was on a shared path…

<l7fc4iFlmsjU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=38154&group=uk.rec.cycling#38154

From: aero.spike@mail.com (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Judgement: And this was on
a shared path…
Date: 7 Apr 2024 10:50:58 GMT
 by: Spike - Sun, 7 Apr 2024 10:50 UTC

Nick Finnigan <nix@genie.co.uk> wrote:
> On 07/04/2024 09:39, Spike wrote:

>> The Highway Code, as it regards cyclists, needs some amendments. Cycling
>> on a footway should, in any legal proceedings, automatically count as
>> failing to acknowledge the rights of pedestrians.

> So they have to walk their vehicles across a footway to the carriageway
> or building at the start and end of journeys? And motorists too?

Correct me if I’m wrong, but aren’t laws already in place to cover
motorists actions in the circumstances you describe?

--
Spike

Re: Judgement: And this was on a shared path…

<l7fqr5Fnqe8U3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=38155&group=uk.rec.cycling#38155

From: JNugent73@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2024 16:01:56 +0100
 by: JNugent - Sun, 7 Apr 2024 15:01 UTC

On 07/04/2024 09:39 am, Spike wrote:

> This should be compulsory reading for all cyclists.
>
> <https://www.scotcourts.gov.uk/docs/default-source/cos-general-docs/pdf-docs-for-opinions/2024csoh39.pdf>
>
> Perhaps one thing that comes out of this dismal account is that aerobars
> should be banned for use on bicycles used in public spaces. See, for
> example:
>
> <https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mGpls1pxGOA>
>
> Another might be that when approaching an unsigned junction, treat it as a
> Give Way.

What effect would that have on chavs on bikes?

It wouldn't matter even if it had traffic lights!

> The Highway Code, as it regards cyclists, needs some amendments. Cycling on
> a footway should, in any legal proceedings, automatically count as failing
> to acknowledge the rights of pedestrians.

Re: Judgement: And this was on a shared path…

<l7fr2gFns7uU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=38156&group=uk.rec.cycling#38156

From: JNugent73@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2024 16:05:52 +0100
 by: JNugent - Sun, 7 Apr 2024 15:05 UTC

On 07/04/2024 09:46 am, Nick Finnigan wrote:

> On 07/04/2024 09:39, Spike wrote:
>>
>> The Highway Code, as it regards cyclists, needs some amendments.
>> Cycling on a footway should, in any legal proceedings, automatically
>> count as failing to acknowledge the rights of pedestrians.
>
>  So they have to walk their vehicles across a footway to the carriageway
> or building at the start and end of journeys? And motorists too?

"On" is doing the work of two words in Spike's post.

There is "across", as you suggest.

But the offence (whether for a chav on a bike or a citizen driving or
riding a motor vehicle) would be travelling *along* a FOOTway for a
distance that cannot be construed as necessary for crossing the FOOTway.

This is because some driveways are not perpendicular to the carriageway,
though I add this merely to disarm any attempt at diversion - we all
know the difference between travelling across a FOOTway and travelling
along it.

Re: Judgement: And this was on a shared path…

<l7fukhFod2qU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=38158&group=uk.rec.cycling#38158

From: aero.spike@mail.com (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
a shared path…
Date: 7 Apr 2024 16:06:41 GMT
 by: Spike - Sun, 7 Apr 2024 16:06 UTC

JNugent <JNugent73@mail.com> wrote:
> On 07/04/2024 09:39 am, Spike wrote:
>>
>> This should be compulsory reading for all cyclists.
>>
>> <https://www.scotcourts.gov.uk/docs/default-source/cos-general-docs/pdf-docs-for-opinions/2024csoh39.pdf>
>>
>> Perhaps one thing that comes out of this dismal account is that aerobars
>> should be banned for use on bicycles used in public spaces. See, for
>> example:
>>
>> <https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mGpls1pxGOA>

>> Another might be that when approaching an unsigned junction, treat it as a
>> Give Way.

> What effect would that have on chavs on bikes?

> It wouldn't matter even if it had traffic lights!

One can only live in (ever-receding) hope…;-)