From: aero.spike@mail.com (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: RLJ cyclist snarls **** at lady
Date: 14 Apr 2024 08:18:13 GMT
 by: Spike - Sun, 14 Apr 2024 08:18 UTC

A lady was crossing at a junction, with the pedestrian lights in her
favour, and…

QUOTE “I was crossing Portland Place in London recently, waiting on the
central reservation for the lights to turn green,” she added.

“As I stepped off, a cyclist, a man in his 30s, went through the red lights
and almost collided with me. But instead of apologising, he flicked me a
rude sign.

“I just pointed at the green light for pedestrians and he called me the
worst word in the English language. And when you get older, I think you
have an obligation to speak out when things aren’t right.” UNQUOTE

Cyclists, as you might expect, set about denigrating the lady for her
actions - but not, of course, those of the uncouth cyclist.

Some comments:

- I hope she enjoys her rant and 30 seconds of renewed "fame". Without
quantifying her comments with a bit more detail, she adds absolutely
nothing to the debate.

- Talk about a group of people who think they're the center of the
universe, most actors and actresses think that way, and I'm sure Joan does.

[…] people like Joan are extremely uppity, they think they're special
because they're actors and actresses and think they're the equivalent of
being kings and queens and live that sort of lifestyle and expect everyone
around them to treat them that way.

- Didn't she used to have a career?

- She's an actress - she makes things up for a living.

<https://road.cc/content/news/patricia-hodge-launches-cyclists-centre-universe-rant-307797>

--
Spike At

Re: RLJ cyclist snarls **** at lady

<l820jtFfvi1U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=38181&group=uk.rec.cycling#38181

From: JNugent73@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: RLJ cyclist snarls **** at lady
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2024 13:30:54 +0100
 by: JNugent - Sun, 14 Apr 2024 12:30 UTC

On 14/04/2024 09:18 am, Spike wrote:

> A lady was crossing at a junction, with the pedestrian lights in her
> favour, and…
>
> QUOTE “I was crossing Portland Place in London recently, waiting on the
> central reservation for the lights to turn green,” she added.
>
> “As I stepped off, a cyclist, a man in his 30s, went through the red lights
> and almost collided with me. But instead of apologising, he flicked me a
> rude sign.
>
> “I just pointed at the green light for pedestrians and he called me the
> worst word in the English language. And when you get older, I think you
> have an obligation to speak out when things aren’t right.” UNQUOTE
>
> Cyclists, as you might expect, set about denigrating the lady for her
> actions - but not, of course, those of the uncouth cyclist.
>
> Some comments:
>
> - I hope she enjoys her rant and 30 seconds of renewed "fame". Without
> quantifying her comments with a bit more detail, she adds absolutely
> nothing to the debate.
>
> - Talk about a group of people who think they're the center of the
> universe, most actors and actresses think that way, and I'm sure Joan does.
>

> […] people like Joan are extremely uppity, they think they're special
> because they're actors and actresses and think they're the equivalent of
> being kings and queens and live that sort of lifestyle and expect everyone
> around them to treat them that way.
>
> - Didn't she used to have a career?
>
> - She's an actress - she makes things up for a living.
>
> <https://road.cc/content/news/patricia-hodge-launches-cyclists-centre-universe-rant-307797>

Chavs on chav-bikes... the dregs of humanity.

And they know it, which is why they are so defensive.

How much more "detail" could they possibly need?

The victim clearly states that there was a "...green light for
pedestrians...".

The commentators really are scum.

Re: RLJ cyclist snarls **** at lady

<l82klbFistqU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=38182&group=uk.rec.cycling#38182

From: aero.spike@mail.com (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 14 Apr 2024 18:12:59 GMT
 by: Spike - Sun, 14 Apr 2024 18:12 UTC

JNugent <JNugent73@mail.com> wrote:
> On 14/04/2024 09:18 am, Spike wrote:
>
>> A lady was crossing at a junction, with the pedestrian lights in her
>> favour, and…
>>
>> QUOTE “I was crossing Portland Place in London recently, waiting on the
>> central reservation for the lights to turn green,” she added.
>>
>> “As I stepped off, a cyclist, a man in his 30s, went through the red lights
>> and almost collided with me. But instead of apologising, he flicked me a
>> rude sign.
>>
>> “I just pointed at the green light for pedestrians and he called me the
>> worst word in the English language. And when you get older, I think you
>> have an obligation to speak out when things aren’t right.” UNQUOTE
>>
>> Cyclists, as you might expect, set about denigrating the lady for her
>> actions - but not, of course, those of the uncouth cyclist.
>>
>> Some comments:
>>
>> - I hope she enjoys her rant and 30 seconds of renewed "fame". Without
>> quantifying her comments with a bit more detail, she adds absolutely
>> nothing to the debate.
>>
>> - Talk about a group of people who think they're the center of the
>> universe, most actors and actresses think that way, and I'm sure Joan does.
>>

>> […] people like Joan are extremely uppity, they think they're special
>> because they're actors and actresses and think they're the equivalent of
>> being kings and queens and live that sort of lifestyle and expect everyone
>> around them to treat them that way.
>>
>> - Didn't she used to have a career?
>>
>> - She's an actress - she makes things up for a living.
>>
>> <https://road.cc/content/news/patricia-hodge-launches-cyclists-centre-universe-rant-307797>
>
> Chavs on chav-bikes... the dregs of humanity.
>
> And they know it, which is why they are so defensive.
>
> How much more "detail" could they possibly need?
>
> The victim clearly states that there was a "...green light for
> pedestrians...".
>
> The commentators really are scum.

I never posted the account of a famous racing cyclist who, in a fit of
alcohol-fuelled enthusiasm, had a cap thrown at him by a spectator.

The cycling media were full of faux indignation as they fulminated in page
after page about this heinous crime.

Somewhere buried in all the wall of righteousness was one sentence that
mentioned the same rider spitting at the spectators.

Cyclists, eh.

Perhaps the lady of the story above was lucky to get away with only nearly
being knocked down and sworn at in a disgraceful manner. The lady receiving
a face-full of gel-pack-flavoured spittle might have rounded off the
incident nicely as far as the scum cyclist was concerned.

--
Spike

Re: RLJ cyclist snarls **** at lady

<uvl7d3$qgac$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=38183&group=uk.rec.cycling#38183

From: noinv@lid.org (Brian)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2024 06:55:31 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:hSJTeN5q5aDG/79PDnrkr0SzTuI=
 by: Brian - Tue, 16 Apr 2024 06:55 UTC

Spike <aero.spike@mail.com> wrote:
> JNugent <JNugent73@mail.com> wrote:
>> On 14/04/2024 09:18 am, Spike wrote:
>>
>>> A lady was crossing at a junction, with the pedestrian lights in her
>>> favour, and…
>>>
>>> QUOTE “I was crossing Portland Place in London recently, waiting on the
>>> central reservation for the lights to turn green,” she added.
>>>
>>> “As I stepped off, a cyclist, a man in his 30s, went through the red lights
>>> and almost collided with me. But instead of apologising, he flicked me a
>>> rude sign.
>>>
>>> “I just pointed at the green light for pedestrians and he called me the
>>> worst word in the English language. And when you get older, I think you
>>> have an obligation to speak out when things aren’t right.” UNQUOTE
>>>
>>> Cyclists, as you might expect, set about denigrating the lady for her
>>> actions - but not, of course, those of the uncouth cyclist.
>>>
>>> Some comments:
>>>
>>> - I hope she enjoys her rant and 30 seconds of renewed "fame". Without
>>> quantifying her comments with a bit more detail, she adds absolutely
>>> nothing to the debate.
>>>
>>> - Talk about a group of people who think they're the center of the
>>> universe, most actors and actresses think that way, and I'm sure Joan does.
>>>

>>> […] people like Joan are extremely uppity, they think they're special
>>> because they're actors and actresses and think they're the equivalent of
>>> being kings and queens and live that sort of lifestyle and expect everyone
>>> around them to treat them that way.
>>>
>>> - Didn't she used to have a career?
>>>
>>> - She's an actress - she makes things up for a living.
>>>
>>> <https://road.cc/content/news/patricia-hodge-launches-cyclists-centre-universe-rant-307797>
>>
>> Chavs on chav-bikes... the dregs of humanity.
>>
>> And they know it, which is why they are so defensive.
>>
>> How much more "detail" could they possibly need?
>>
>> The victim clearly states that there was a "...green light for
>> pedestrians...".
>>
>> The commentators really are scum.
>
> I never posted the account of a famous racing cyclist who, in a fit of
> alcohol-fuelled enthusiasm, had a cap thrown at him by a spectator.
>
> The cycling media were full of faux indignation as they fulminated in page
> after page about this heinous crime.
>
> Somewhere buried in all the wall of righteousness was one sentence that
> mentioned the same rider spitting at the spectators.
>
> Cyclists, eh.
>
> Perhaps the lady of the story above was lucky to get away with only nearly
> being knocked down and sworn at in a disgraceful manner. The lady receiving
> a face-full of gel-pack-flavoured spittle might have rounded off the
> incident nicely as far as the scum cyclist was concerned.

Cyclists spitting is common place.

Some years ago, the Tour of France included sections in the UK, including
our area.

An acquaintance lived near the route and was trying to get to a local shop
as the riders came near his house. Roads were closed, barriers everywhere,
general chaos. As he waited to cross the road, he saw rider after rider
spit in road.