From: aero.spike@mail.com (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Elk knocks cyclist off, gets three years in prison
Date: 16 Apr 2024 21:50:56 GMT
 by: Spike - Tue, 16 Apr 2024 21:50 UTC

“Aggressive” elk charges at cyclist in Canada, causing him to crash

On the more terrifying side of today’s cyclists and animals live blog
theme, a cyclist in Canada fell off their bike after an “aggressive” elk
charged towards them, prompting warnings from local wildlife services about
the dangers of cycling near the animals.

Last Tuesday, Alberta Fish and Wildlife Enforcement Services received a
report of an angry elk in Canmore, a town in Alberta’s Rocky Mountains
known for is nearby craggy, snowcapped summits.

“The elk charged at a cyclist and knocked him off his bike,” Laura Vilchis
Sanchez, a spokesperson for the Alberta Public Safety and Emergency
Services told the Cochrane Eagle (link is external) about the incident.

“The elk did not make contact with the cyclist, only scared him.”

Following the incident, Bow Valley WildSmart educators say elk should not
be mistaken for tame animals if sighted in town, on golf courses, or on
bike trails, and that they can be dangerous at any time of year.

“When we’re dealing with elk, in general, we have to remember they’re wild
and powerful animals regardless of how tolerant they may be of our
behaviour. They need to be treated with respect,” WildSmart’s Gareth
Thompson said.

<https://road.cc/content/news/cycling-live-blog-15-april-2024-307831#live-blog-item-56887>

--
Spike

Re: Elk knocks cyclist off, gets three years in prison

<uvo2l1$1gkmm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=38188&group=uk.rec.cycling#38188

From: muzhmuzh@centrum.sk (Peter Keller)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 20:52:49 +1200
 by: Peter Keller - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 08:52 UTC

On 17/04/24 09:50, Spike wrote:

> “Aggressive” elk charges at cyclist in Canada, causing him to crash
>
> On the more terrifying side of today’s cyclists and animals live blog
> theme, a cyclist in Canada fell off their bike after an “aggressive” elk
> charged towards them, prompting warnings from local wildlife services about
> the dangers of cycling near the animals.
>
> Last Tuesday, Alberta Fish and Wildlife Enforcement Services received a
> report of an angry elk in Canmore, a town in Alberta’s Rocky Mountains
> known for is nearby craggy, snowcapped summits.
>
> “The elk charged at a cyclist and knocked him off his bike,” Laura Vilchis
> Sanchez, a spokesperson for the Alberta Public Safety and Emergency
> Services told the Cochrane Eagle (link is external) about the incident.
>
> “The elk did not make contact with the cyclist, only scared him.”
>
> Following the incident, Bow Valley WildSmart educators say elk should not
> be mistaken for tame animals if sighted in town, on golf courses, or on
> bike trails, and that they can be dangerous at any time of year.
>
> “When we’re dealing with elk, in general, we have to remember they’re wild
> and powerful animals regardless of how tolerant they may be of our
> behaviour. They need to be treated with respect,” WildSmart’s Gareth
> Thompson said.
>
> <https://road.cc/content/news/cycling-live-blog-15-april-2024-307831#live-blog-item-56887>

The elk got three years in prison?

Re: Elk knocks cyclist off, gets three years in prison

<l89jetFlueqU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=38189&group=uk.rec.cycling#38189

From: aero.spike@mail.com (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 17 Apr 2024 09:35:25 GMT
 by: Spike - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 09:35 UTC

Peter Keller <muzhmuzh@centrum.sk> wrote:
> On 17/04/24 09:50, Spike wrote:
>>
>> “Aggressive” elk charges at cyclist in Canada, causing him to crash
>>
>> On the more terrifying side of today’s cyclists and animals live blog
>> theme, a cyclist in Canada fell off their bike after an “aggressive” elk
>> charged towards them, prompting warnings from local wildlife services about
>> the dangers of cycling near the animals.
>>
>> Last Tuesday, Alberta Fish and Wildlife Enforcement Services received a
>> report of an angry elk in Canmore, a town in Alberta’s Rocky Mountains
>> known for is nearby craggy, snowcapped summits.
>>
>> “The elk charged at a cyclist and knocked him off his bike,” Laura Vilchis
>> Sanchez, a spokesperson for the Alberta Public Safety and Emergency
>> Services told the Cochrane Eagle (link is external) about the incident.
>>
>> “The elk did not make contact with the cyclist, only scared him.”
>>
>> Following the incident, Bow Valley WildSmart educators say elk should not
>> be mistaken for tame animals if sighted in town, on golf courses, or on
>> bike trails, and that they can be dangerous at any time of year.
>>
>> “When we’re dealing with elk, in general, we have to remember they’re wild
>> and powerful animals regardless of how tolerant they may be of our
>> behaviour. They need to be treated with respect,” WildSmart’s Gareth
>> Thompson said.
>>
>> <https://road.cc/content/news/cycling-live-blog-15-april-2024-307831#live-blog-item-56887>

> The elk got three years in prison?

It would have, if it had been walking along a footway in the UK…

--
Spike

Re: Elk knocks cyclist off, gets three years in prison

<l8aii7Fqi0eU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=38192&group=uk.rec.cycling#38192

From: JNugent73@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 19:26:15 +0100
 by: JNugent - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 18:26 UTC

On 17/04/2024 10:35 am, Spike wrote:
> Peter Keller <muzhmuzh@centrum.sk> wrote:
>> On 17/04/24 09:50, Spike wrote:
>>>
>>> “Aggressive” elk charges at cyclist in Canada, causing him to crash
>>>
>>> On the more terrifying side of today’s cyclists and animals live blog
>>> theme, a cyclist in Canada fell off their bike after an “aggressive” elk
>>> charged towards them, prompting warnings from local wildlife services about
>>> the dangers of cycling near the animals.
>>>
>>> Last Tuesday, Alberta Fish and Wildlife Enforcement Services received a
>>> report of an angry elk in Canmore, a town in Alberta’s Rocky Mountains
>>> known for is nearby craggy, snowcapped summits.
>>>
>>> “The elk charged at a cyclist and knocked him off his bike,” Laura Vilchis
>>> Sanchez, a spokesperson for the Alberta Public Safety and Emergency
>>> Services told the Cochrane Eagle (link is external) about the incident.
>>>
>>> “The elk did not make contact with the cyclist, only scared him.”
>>>
>>> Following the incident, Bow Valley WildSmart educators say elk should not
>>> be mistaken for tame animals if sighted in town, on golf courses, or on
>>> bike trails, and that they can be dangerous at any time of year.
>>>
>>> “When we’re dealing with elk, in general, we have to remember they’re wild
>>> and powerful animals regardless of how tolerant they may be of our
>>> behaviour. They need to be treated with respect,” WildSmart’s Gareth
>>> Thompson said.
>>>
>>> <https://road.cc/content/news/cycling-live-blog-15-april-2024-307831#live-blog-item-56887>
>
>> The elk got three years in prison?
>
> It would have, if it had been walking along a footway in the UK…

LOL!